GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

RWD F-sport rare find

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 10:07 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The RWD is cheaper than AWD. Besides that, there are many other differences between the two, they are far from identical. Seems like this guy was either playing dumb so that you would buy the AWD, or he really has no clue what he is selling.....

I went through hell to get the RWD back in 2008. Not a single North East dealer wanted to work with me. This is what I hate the most about Lexus. They don't let you choose what you want to drive.
Agree with you 100%. It's cheaper (but only marginally, at least in Canada). Regardless, I'm not doubting my choice to go AWD. Just didn't appreciate his approach to my questions. So I moved to another dealership and bought.

M
Old 04-02-15, 09:01 AM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts
Default My RWD GS350 F-SPort on order...

Originally Posted by JTMav
I am interested in checking out a new GS 350 F-Sport RWD here in the greater Boston area and have found it near impossible to find one. I realize with our winters why there would be a majority of AWD choices but having been driving here for over 40 years and have owned many rwd vehicles(2 SC 430s as well as others) equipped with a set of 4 snows to be more than acceptable. Is this the case in most of the Northern snow belt states or are they rare to find everywhere? I would be curious to hear from rwd owners that may have looked at the awd and decided to go rwd and if there was a significant difference in the two choices.

Thanks for any feedback
JTMav

Here is my take on the RWD situatiuon, since im still waiting for mine & i live in MA...
I drove a F-Sport AWD from the dealer when it forst came out & wasa impressed with the handling.... but when I visited a friend down in FL & drove a RWD, which was a big difference, i was impessed & shocked how the RWD just felt like a diferent car altogether.... I came back home & ran to the dealer & proceeded to place my order & the dude (sales person) actually said to me, "they make those" wondering was he being sarcastic or just a newbie I decided to drop some 20yrs of Lexi knowledge on him & quickly realized hwe was def a newbie.... , then i proceeded to rip him a new one with options & packages & prices, the went to the fiance manager who & I quote said he had never placed an order for a RWD in this region or even could remember if there was ever a RWD model allocated to MA, long story short, they dont come to this region & i just might have the only 1 in the region ( Aint I special...)

The dealer had to swap vehicles with another dealer in TX, my car was on the tanker & has just hit port so I should have it in literally in 2 weeks after all said & done it will have taken 10-12 weeks & that was one on the ship already, I actually wanted the blue mica F-Sport which would have been another month or 2 of waiting...... I know the RWD is like a Unicorn in these parts but my feeling well worth the wait.....
Old 04-02-15, 09:12 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by KOOLFELLA
Here is my take on the RWD situatiuon, since im still waiting for mine & i live in MA...
I drove a F-Sport AWD from the dealer when it forst came out & wasa impressed with the handling.... but when I visited a friend down in FL & drove a RWD, which was a big difference, i was impessed & shocked how the RWD just felt like a diferent car altogether.... I came back home & ran to the dealer & proceeded to place my order & the dude (sales person) actually said to me, "they make those" wondering was he being sarcastic or just a newbie I decided to drop some 20yrs of Lexi knowledge on him & quickly realized hwe was def a newbie.... , then i proceeded to rip him a new one with options & packages & prices, the went to the fiance manager who & I quote said he had never placed an order for a RWD in this region or even could remember if there was ever a RWD model allocated to MA, long story short, they dont come to this region & i just might have the only 1 in the region ( Aint I special...)

The dealer had to swap vehicles with another dealer in TX, my car was on the tanker & has just hit port so I should have it in literally in 2 weeks after all said & done it will have taken 10-12 weeks & that was one on the ship already, I actually wanted the blue mica F-Sport which would have been another month or 2 of waiting...... I know the RWD is like a Unicorn in these parts but my feeling well worth the wait.....
What difference did u feel when driving the RWD vs. AWD? We're the opposite here in SoCal, no AWD.
Old 04-02-15, 09:31 AM
ChrisMo757
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and a majority of the cars brought here (Only Lexus dealer is Charles Barker) are AWD but they do occasionally get a RWD. However, at the time I was looking, they had none. So Instead of feeling helpless I searched to my south and bought mine in South Carolina so I could get RWD, along with the color combo I wanted. If you are willing to take a weekend road trip to obtain the car you want, why not do it?
Old 04-02-15, 09:55 AM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Honestly, the response in the Trainy, the 8 than the 6, i like 2 hold gears for a bit that extra jerk when u shift from 5-4-3 @ higher revs on the AWD, I know the #'s in 0-60 aren't too different but IDK, right off the line it felt very crisp wit a slight tire burn (gotta figure out how 2 play with that) not to mention the rear wheel steering, i took a corning @ 85-90 & between the rear steering, the tires & the gearing, than shooting out of that turn with such acceleration you would have honestly thought it was AWD but no sir RWD it was.... & maybe 1 or 2 more little things i cant remember.... Not 2 say i did not enjoy the AWD to each there own & everyone who is in my region of the world i can completely understand, especially after this winter ( WFT ) but since I own a GX460 as well & the Mz. owns a RX350 the RWD F-Sport was the toy for me...
Old 04-02-15, 03:55 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigblack06
You will not find one, they are not offered here in Boston or Mass. I was looking for one when I was getting ready to purchase, they told me that they have to be ordered or outsourced from another dealership. I personally hate the AWD system and wish I got a RWD GS like I have always owned. There is a significant difference in RWD vs AWD more options is one of them and I think it looks better has bigger brakes and staggered wheel setup, these would be all pluses for me. Not to mention you can get DRS, I would do some searching in the hotter area's and make a trip if buying used, if brand new see what the dealership can get you.
This was my experience here in the Pacific NW as well. No RWD GS's anywhere.

My local dealer could have done a swap for me, but they wouldn't negotiate on the price if I went that route so I would basically end up paying full MSRP for it. I was able to work a much better deal for the AWD F-Sports they had on hand so it was a better decision financially.
Old 04-03-15, 03:15 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
This was my experience here in the Pacific NW as well. No RWD GS's anywhere.

My local dealer could have done a swap for me, but they wouldn't negotiate on the price if I went that route so I would basically end up paying full MSRP for it. I was able to work a much better deal for the AWD F-Sports they had on hand so it was a better decision financially.
Truly wish it was offered no matter what the area is, wish it was a little more like BMW where your order it to your liking and it only takes couple weeks not months.