GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission shifts

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 11:24 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even in eco mode, when i brake sometimes i notice it downshift, and when i'm going downhill, i feel the car is controlling the speed somehow.

pretty cool
Old 05-24-13, 02:16 AM
matt2421
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really think its an issue for me but it does feel weird. When driving on the highway in Eco mode with the cruise set, sometimes I have to accelerate to pass someone. Well when I accelerate I can feel the car adjust and downshift to give me more power but as I get off the gas and let it coast back down to the set cruise control speed I can see and feel the car is still in a lower gear for a good 5-10seconds. Then I can actually feel her shift, sometimes several gears to adjust to my cruise control speed. The weird feeling I guess is after letting off the gas and coasting back to the set cruise speed I can see I'm 6-7k rpms for that 5-10 seconds while my foot is not on the gas. Again, not a big deal, but I guess I'm expecting a quicker shift back to the original gear.

I do drive a different rental car for business every week and I don't have this sensation in any of the rentals but I don't think any of the rentals downshift 2 sometimes 3 gears when passing at highway speeds which my gs350 does. So it makes sense that it would take a little longer for her to correct back to the correct gear. Again, not a big deal but going 75 mph for 5-10 seconds at 6-7k rpms while my foot is not on the accelerator feels weird to me.
Old 05-24-13, 11:03 PM
GS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
Can you help us understand why you could not speed up again because the car downshifted too fast and held it there too long?
throttle blipping? need to push it to a higher rpm than where it was hang to accelerate?
Old 05-25-13, 01:48 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a310pilot
My older GS does the same in ECT mode. "outrage" is correct. Also if you are in SPORT mode it means sporty driving. It holds on to lower gear thinking you gonna need the power again pretty damn soon... It doesn't know you kicked the throttle just to pass. It thinks you got a Beemer on you side and your guys are street racing and zig zaggin through cars.
I only drive the car in sport + mode, and I happen to love this feature, I feel in total control. And it is by design. If you slam the pedal to the floor, you generally are driving with heightened awareness (whether passing, crossing lanes on a highway merge, etc), and this feature attempts to mimic that feeling by giving the car the response your brain expects. I have only driven cars with manual trans, and this feature gives that feeling. It is part of the sport car feel they were searching for. The time it takes to upshift back to the gear it was in just takes getting used to. It will be interesting to know if it is adjustable, even though I would never do that!!
Old 05-28-13, 11:01 AM
mimoz07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a feature that the car has. Does it in Sport mode, calculate the way you are driving and if there is hard acceleration and braking it's mind switches to an aggressive drivin style thinkin that you are cornering hard and will keep you at a lower gear so it makes it easier on the suspension tires brakes... they developed that feature to give you a feel of drivin a manual car. The car actually thinks for you! lol