GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tire Pressure Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 07:46 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Pressure Monitor

Just got back from my 1 year service. Noticed the tire pressure monitor system was reading 40-42 for the tires. I checked the pressure with a tire gauge and they are at 34 psi.

Prior to the service the TPMS was reading in the low 30's and seemed accurate.

Has anyone had this issue? Is this related to the tire rotation? Is there a reset or recalibration that needs to happen after a tire rotation?

I am bringing my GS back to Lexus in the morning but if there is a simple fix I would rather take care of that myself.
Old 05-21-13, 08:40 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

My tire pressure bounces around from the low 30s to the mid 30s. However after my last service, the dealer told me they target 30 for the summer and 34 for the winter. The service was in late March and since then pressure was at time up to 37 on some the tires on the car. I have not registered a number in the 40s and have not hand checked the pressure. Tires are 18 in Michelin Primacys.
Old 05-21-13, 08:51 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to check when the tires are cold, with your gauge. Then check the car monitor as soon as you start driving, before the tires heat up. If there's still a big difference, ask the dealer about it
Old 05-21-13, 09:16 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you tried resetting your TPMS?
Old 05-21-13, 10:07 PM
DrKeith
Driver

i could not find the reset for the TPMS. Manual shows it beneath the steering column but I dont see it.
Old 05-21-13, 11:11 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Originally Posted by faifai83
Have you tried resetting your TPMS?
Found the TPMS reset button. I had to lay on the ground with my head under the steering column to get to it. It is just above the gas/brake pedals.

Reset the TPMS but it is reading 38/39 completely cold (not driven for 7 hours) but tire gauge is showing 33.

At least my Lexus dealer has fresh muffins in the morning.
Old 05-22-13, 06:29 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DrKeith
Found the TPMS reset button. I had to lay on the ground with my head under the steering column to get to it. It is just above the gas/brake pedals.

Reset the TPMS but it is reading 38/39 completely cold (not driven for 7 hours) but tire gauge is showing 33.

I suspect your tire gauge is inaccurate. I would try another one. My TPMS has been totally accurate. You should check your tire pressures cold and the pressures should be set according to the plaque next to the driver's door. In my case, 33 PSI all around. The pressures will increase as you drive and the tires heat up, usually 2-4 PSI.
Old 05-22-13, 07:18 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you tried resetting your tire gauge?
Old 05-22-13, 08:08 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Just got back from my 1 year service. Noticed the tire pressure monitor system was reading 40-42 for the tires. I checked the pressure with a tire gauge and they are at 34 psi.

Prior to the service the TPMS was reading in the low 30's and seemed accurate.

Has anyone had this issue? Is this related to the tire rotation? Is there a reset or recalibration that needs to happen after a tire rotation?

I am bringing my GS back to Lexus in the morning but if there is a simple fix I would rather take care of that myself.
Yes I have been having this issue, I let air out the tire and it still stayed the same. I'm getting readings up to 42 psi in the front driver and 43 psi in the rear passenger tire. when in reality its 36 psi and 37 psi.
Old 05-22-13, 01:26 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Here is my followup:
1. My old tire gauge was not accurate and is now in the trash. Tire pressure was 38/39 cold on TPMS and with a new digital tire gauge. (pressure was up to 42 by the time I got to Lexus)

2. For some reason the I don't understand the Lexus service tech put an extra 6 psi over the recommended pressure but they apologized repeatedly

3. I got a fresh cup of coffee and coffee cake plus I spent some time checking out this 2012 Nissan GT-R they are selling used.
Attached Thumbnails Tire Pressure Monitor-gtr1.jpg   Tire Pressure Monitor-gtr2.jpg  
Old 05-22-13, 04:43 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Cool. I didn't know there was a tpms reset button. What conditions would necessitate having to reset it? Maybe new tires?
Old 05-22-13, 07:09 PM
texasborn
Rookie

Originally Posted by larryinWA
Cool. I didn't know there was a tpms reset button. What conditions would necessitate having to reset it? Maybe new tires?
I believe when the low tire pressure warning light comes on. Once you've added air to the tire(s) needing it, then a reset is needed.
Old 05-22-13, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is my followup:
1. My old tire gauge was not accurate and is now in the trash. Tire pressure was 38/39 cold on TPMS and with a new digital tire gauge. (pressure was up to 42 by the time I got to Lexus)

2. For some reason the I don't understand the Lexus service tech put an extra 6 psi over the recommended pressure but they apologized repeatedly

3. I got a fresh cup of coffee and coffee cake plus I spent some time checking out this 2012 Nissan GT-R they are selling used.
Nice GT-R! I still think they should have given that car to Infiniti as a halo car for their "premium brand" but what do I know.

Anyway, my TPM seems to read correctly as compared to my tire guage.
Old 05-22-13, 08:43 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Originally Posted by texasborn
I believe when the low tire pressure warning light comes on. Once you've added air to the tire(s) needing it, then a reset is needed.
I think it needs a reset after tire rotation too.
Old 05-22-13, 08:45 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
Nice GT-R! I still think they should have given that car to Infiniti as a halo car for their "premium brand" but what do I know.

Anyway, my TPM seems to read correctly as compared to my tire guage.

My TPMS now matches my new tire gauge.

I agree that they should have put the GT-R with Infiniti. I think somebody looking at a G37 Coupe is more likely to drop $90K+ than somebody shopping for Nissans.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor