GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Fog Light Installation!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 07:25 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday. The tech came up to ask me if I had any installation instructions for them. He looked confused when I told him they are OEM parts and not a kit, per se. He said he'd look at a non F-Sport GS to see how it's set up... well, I just contacted them to check progress.. The tech is still looking into it and researching!

This does not bode well.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 09-06-13 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 07:27 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

So stupid. It's basically the same car. Idiot tech.
Old 09-06-13, 07:30 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

That is what I am thinking. I would expect the same wiring harness and connections for both
Old 09-06-13, 07:33 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Request the shop foreman
Old 09-06-13, 07:39 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Request the shop foreman
I went over their heads to the service manager. Waiting to hear back. I will make them stop work if they stay on this course.
Old 09-06-13, 08:37 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I went over their heads to the service manager. Waiting to hear back. I will make them stop work if they stay on this course.
Stew,

The F-Sport has no fog wiring in the bumper and no wire to the stalk....

Reference this thread for how we did it..

Official Worlds 1st: USDM 2013 GS350 F-Sport w/JDM Fog Lamps Installed, Video Inside!

A seasoned tech will get this to work.. But they will not be using any OEM harnesses..

Let me know if you need any help explaining this to them.. or maybe take it to Sewell and request the same tech that worked on "hambone525"s GS

~ Joe Z
Old 09-06-13, 08:44 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Stew,

The F-Sport has no fog wiring in the bumper and no wire to the stalk....

Reference this thread for how we did it..

Official Worlds 1st: USDM 2013 GS350 F-Sport w/JDM Fog Lamps Installed, Video Inside!

A seasoned tech will get this to work.. But they will not be using any OEM harnesses..

Let me know if you need any help explaining this to them.. or maybe take it to Sewell and request the same tech that worked on "hambone525"s GS

~ Joe Z
Joe, Thanks for the info. If I lived in the Dallas area, I would take it there. It's a 6 hour drive away.

I made the assumption this was no problem for them. I did tell them that Sewell in Dallas did an install so they could contact them
Old 09-06-13, 12:18 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I got a call saying they had done the install but they are having issues with the operation of the lights.. they don't go off when the high beams are on, they stay on when the car is off until you turn the stalk to off... sigh.. nor is there any indication on the dash that they are on.
Old 09-06-13, 01:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

I got a call saying they had done the install but they are having issues with the operation of the lights.. they don't go off when the high beams are on, they stay on when the car is off until you turn the stalk to off... sigh.. nor is there any indication on the dash that they are on.
Well they are half way there... Tell them to take power from a source that is ignition based..
So you can't "forget" them on..

High beams & Indicator are not real issues.. IMHO

~ joe Z
Old 09-06-13, 01:13 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Okay, another update: The Operations manager told me that they cannot wire to the ECU. They called Lexus to find out what they recommend and Lexus told them that if they wire to the ECU and if anything goes wrong later, they warranty is voided. The ECU is responsible for the switching of lights, the dash indicator, etc. So, they will wire it up, make the lights work and shut off with the key/power. They won't turn off when the High beams come on either, the ECU would take care of that, if they wired to it.

I have tried calling Sewell in Dallas but I get the phone tag run around. I know Sewell had to wire to the ECU to make it work, I hope that they didn't void Hambone's warranty
Old 09-06-13, 01:51 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Okay, another update: The Operations manager told me that they cannot wire to the ECU. They called Lexus to find out what they recommend and Lexus told them that if they wire to the ECU and if anything goes wrong later, they warranty is voided. The ECU is responsible for the switching of lights, the dash indicator, etc. So, they will wire it up, make the lights work and shut off with the key/power. They won't turn off when the High beams come on either, the ECU would take care of that, if they wired to it.

I have tried calling Sewell in Dallas but I get the phone tag run around. I know Sewell had to wire to the ECU to make it work, I hope that they didn't void Hambone's warranty
^^ To me.. The ECU / Indicator Light / High beams.... All secondary issues..

Truthfully, the 2013 F-Sport is not wired for Fogs... SOO getting them to work with the new OEM Stalk and turn off with ignition, were my only goals achieved..

I too would would stay away from the ECU if it were my car...

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-06-13 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 01:59 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard good things about Sewell though. I just wish they were closer to me. Hopefully you get it all sorted out. Stuff like this always makes me doubt the techs they have working at a place when they promise on something and then can't deliver. Just like biting off more than one can chew, you just need to recognize one's limits.
Old 09-06-13, 03:34 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ To me.. The ECU / Indicator Light / High beams.... All secondary issues..

Truthfully, the 2013 F-Sport is not wired for Fogs... SOO getting them to work with the new OEM Stalk and turn off with ignition, were my only goals achieved..

I too would would stay away from the ECU if it were my car...

~ Joe Z
That is the plan!
Old 09-06-13, 03:37 PM
hambone525
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axiom00
Did they wire it so the fogs only comes on when the headlights are on or when the markers are on?
They wired it the way that the regular GS is wired
Old 09-06-13, 03:40 PM
hambone525
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday. The tech came up to ask me if I had any installation instructions for them. He looked confused when I told him they are OEM parts and not a kit, per se. He said he'd look at a non F-Sport GS to see how it's set up... well, I just contacted them to check progress.. The tech is still looking into it and researching!

This does not bode well.
Stew I'm sorry you are having issues.Have the tech give Rick the parts manager at Sewell Lexus of Dallas a call (214) 352-8100

Quick Reply: F-Sport Fog Light Installation!