GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 08:58 AM
UKNOWME
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Noise

Is it just me or do these 4GS's have quite a bit of road noise? I did switch to Nitto NT555 tires when I installed my 20s but pretty sure the factory tires where were the same
Old 05-26-13, 09:45 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the road is smooth, its pretty quiet, but if it has the noisy type of pavement, it can make some noise.

either way, drive w the music up lol.

has to do with the tires, they are pretty hard summer tires, and low profile so not much surface b/t the wheel and road.
Old 05-26-13, 11:03 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^^^ This. If the pavement is very smooth, the ride is quiet, but if a rough surface (ie, an aggregate rather than mostly asphalt) it will be much noisier.

Depending on tire brand, it is better or worse. From what I have read on the board, the Michelin's are probably the best combination of grip and reduced noise. I have the Dunlops, and I have a bit more noise than I would prefer, but it is acceptable - I just turn the music up!

Low profile performance tires in general are noisier than touring tires.
Old 05-26-13, 11:09 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleymark
^^^^^^^^^ This. If the pavement is very smooth, the ride is quiet, but if a rough surface (ie, an aggregate rather than mostly asphalt) it will be much noisier.

Depending on tire brand, it is better or worse. From what I have read on the board, the Michelin's are probably the best combination of grip and reduced noise. I have the Dunlops, and I have a bit more noise than I would prefer, but it is acceptable - I just turn the music up!

i too have dunlops and it's noisy. I noticed it more when I was driving my mom's LS around.. But anything is noisy compared to an LS460...
Old 05-26-13, 11:36 AM
UKNOWME
Driver

I've considered switching to the Michelins but not if its a minimal difference. My wife hasn't complained an it's her car so I'll probably just leave it alone
Old 05-27-13, 12:26 AM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Seems pretty quiet to me, but my old car was an accord. By the time i wearout the dunlops in a couple years, there should be a good consensus on the forum as to which tires are best for quiet. I agree, though, if you really want the low profile tires, you need to expect more road noise
Old 05-27-13, 04:54 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you rollin on dubs... and your tires are lower profiles i guess... so there goes your road noise.
Old 05-27-13, 06:50 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try Pirelli P7 Summer tire. Works great on the IS and if its quiet there it will be silent here.
Old 05-28-13, 04:45 AM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by webra
Try Pirelli P7 Summer tire. Works great on the IS and if its quiet there it will be silent here.
hi, just curious, the p7 sold in Singapore is made in China. are those sold in US made elsewhere or also from China?

By the way, the review by user for p7 in SG was also highly rated for comfort.
Old 05-28-13, 04:51 AM
GS250
Driver

For the Michelin, the Pilot Sport 3 is not quiet at all. the noise level is comparable to Bridgestone RE050 when I swap them in my previous Subaru Legacy GT. I am not sure about the Pilot Super Sport though. The Bridgestone GR90 is a premium comfort tyre and it is made in Japan. I may give that a try when mine is up for change.
Old 05-28-13, 05:10 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the P7’s (yes, Chinese made) now for a while. They are really quiet on my IS, a car well known for being sensitive to tire noise. Just fitted PSS to my other (performance) car and yes, it will be one performance level higher when bedded in, but costs a lot more, and is not as quiet as the P7. I tested it on another IS and had very good feedback from another E klasse owner before I took the plunge. Only wish tire was on sale when I bought the IS in 06. I used PS3, GY Asyym 2' RE 050 and GR90 before, this is the best all rounder for me. You are welcome to try my car!
Old 05-28-13, 04:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Mine has the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 and it is very quiet.
Old 08-08-13, 12:20 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

I love my GS F-Sport, very agile for a mid-size sedan, the road feel and ride is good, and nothing ever breaks. The only issue I have with it is also the road noise. It hums so much on some roads that I almost wanted an ES instad. I still have the OEM Dunlop Sports Max on it.
I had a 3rd gen GS and I switched to Bridgestone Serenity tires, which made a huge difference. It felt like a luxury car again. However, due to the odd stagering setup, most "quiet tires" are not available for the RWD F Sport.
I wonder what tires on the market will likely be the most quiet on the RWD F-Sport? I know the car is barely one year old, but has anyone switched tires and felt it was much quieter then the OEM Dunlop or Bridgestone?
Old 08-08-13, 12:33 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Pilot Super sports. Very quiet tire with great wear and handling. Second car I've put them on and I am very pleased.
Old 08-08-13, 12:41 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by harleymark

Same here with Dunlops which are Ultra High Performance category tires.They're not too bad but they do make noise on certain highway surfaces.
The Michelin Primacy MXM4 is a Grand Touring tire which will be my choice in the future.

Quick Reply: Road Noise