GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear side sunshades in a GS350 Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19, 11:34 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 540 Likes on 393 Posts

I was never concerned what the value of an F-Sport vs. Lux. model is. I keep my seats cleaned and conditioned and use a beach towel on the bottom of the drivers seat and it still looks new. I'm pleased with all the features on my 18 F-Sport other than not having triple beams. Finding triples on a RWD F-Sport is pretty slim unless special ordered.
Old 08-23-19, 11:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,085 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I was never concerned what the value of an F-Sport vs. Lux. model is. I keep my seats cleaned and conditioned and use a beach towel on the bottom of the drivers seat and it still looks new. I'm pleased with all the features on my 18 F-Sport other than not having triple beams. Finding triples on a RWD F-Sport is pretty slim unless special ordered.
Why do you use a beach towel on your drivers seat? Isn't that kinda like leaving the plastic on your car seats or house furniture?
Old 08-23-19, 11:39 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by darylcf108
Difference is this....

You spent around 50 or 60k brand new for your GS or F-Sport....

Now you are in year 5 or 6 of having the car and now your leather is showing

hardness or wear and tear. Simply by choosing F-Sport model over the Lux which

the Lux will give you longer value and longevity to it cause the Lux model is protecting

it's value over the long haul. How can you guys not see this??? Do your research on the F-Sport.

And let me know what's it's used value will be in year 5 or 6 compared to the Lux model.

Not just nick picking but it's the truth.....
All models for the GS equally depreciate horribly, like most luxury cars. Factory options don't really add much value in the used car market, that's what makes buying a used car an even better deal compared to new.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19, 11:40 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Agree on the F-Sport. If it wasn't offered, I would've never bought the GS in standard or luxury trim.
JDR76 (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19, 11:42 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Why do you use a beach towel on your drivers seat? Isn't that kinda like leaving the plastic on your car seats or house furniture?
It's for protecting the leather when you pee yourself.
Old 08-23-19, 11:43 AM
charley95
Pole Position

It's kind of an experiment vs. the wear on my RX seats which are not covered. I usually wear Levi's and I think the denim adds to the wear on the seat. Don't really know if it helps or not but it sure seems to.
Old 08-23-19, 11:44 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peasodos
How'd you know I wear Depends?!
Old 08-23-19, 11:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,085 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Old 08-23-19, 11:58 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Hey BC, remember when Phil Hartman did the skit on SNL "The **** Retentive Chef?" That's me with my GS!
Old 08-24-19, 01:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Reg84
Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install rear side sun shades on the Fsport and install the rear control panel on the arm rest? These are basic functions to me in a luxury sedan,

I've no idea why Lexus decided to remove the following on the Fsport variant:
1) Not install fog lights, both front & back.
2) Remove the front passenger seat control buttons on the side of the backrest.
3) Remove side sun shade.
4) Remove the control panel on the rear armrest.

Here's a picture of my ride just to share!
Originally, I was using these external pullover removable rear window sunshades, but they were a mess.
Rain was a problem.
Bird droppings was a problem.
They simply did not fit properly due to the truncated apex style of the 5 Series & GS rear windows, hence looked very untidy.
In real life, it didn't look half as tidy as the two photos below.

However, admittedly these external pullover sunshades look more satisfactory on a conventionally styled simple trapezia shaped rear window.

Then I bumped into these Trokots.
Would these removable custom fabricated internal window surround [spring & magnetic] fitting sunshades be good enough for you?
They were good enough for my old 3GS.
Trokot makes removable custom fabricated rear windscreen sunshades too.

Even if you did manage to retrofit rear window sunshades from the Luxury trim to your F Sport trim, it still would not be "motorized".
Meanwhile, the 5LS does have 1st generation motorized rear window sunshades, but it looks like the design needs to be refined, because the gaps around the sunshades are too large - and it simply doesn't look attractive somehow in my fussy eyes.

https://trokotusa.com/

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-24-19 at 02:13 PM.
bb700092 (08-25-19)
Old 08-24-19, 09:09 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Originally, I was using these external pullover removable rear window sunshades, but they were a mess.
Rain was a problem.
They simply did not fit properly due to the truncated apex style of the 5 Series & GS rear windows, hence looked very untidy.

However, admittedly these external pullover sunshades look more satisfactory on a conventionally styled simple trapezia shaped rear window.

Would these removable custom fabricated internal window surround [spring & magnetic] fitting sunshades be good enough for you?

Even if you did manage to retrofit rear window sunshades from the Luxury trim to your F Sport trim, it still would not be "motorized".
Meanwhile, the 5LS does have 1st generation motorized rear window sunshades, but it looks like the design needs to be refined, because the gaps around the sunshades are too large - and it simply doesn't look attractive somehow in my fussy eyes.

I down never put a pair of leggings, spandex, or fabric condom on my door. lol I don't even care about the sun shade, because my windows have 20% tints. If I had a sun shade on it I probably could never see out the window to check the blind spot.
Old 08-25-19, 06:42 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Rain was a problem.

curious to know if these are cheaper than teh ones i bought. mine were from thailand and around 80$ before they bumped up the price
Old 08-25-19, 08:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

I down never put a pair of leggings, spandex, or fabric condom on my door. lol I don't even care about the sun shade, because my windows have 20% tints. If I had a sun shade on it I probably could never see out the window to check the blind spot.
Yes, the cheapos remind me of a pair of stockings.

Originally Posted by baconRx
curious to know if these are cheaper than teh ones i bought. mine were from thailand and around 80$ before they bumped up the price
I just bought rear left and rear right customized window sunshades only, but I think they were $100+ if I remember correctly.
Old 08-26-19, 07:02 AM
BigNelso
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the cheapos remind me of a pair of stockings.

I just bought rear left and rear right customized window sunshades only, but I think they were $100+ if I remember correctly.
Do they just stick to the window?

i love the OE shades. I don’t feel like it was a waste of time at all doing the swap. I leave them up for when my son is in the car.
Old 07-02-20, 11:22 AM
ThePanda6G
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigNelso
I was lucky enough to find a luxury model and swap all of the parts that I needed. I work in the auto industry. At a body and mechanic shop.

that looks amazing! If you have a minute, id love to learn more about this conversion, mounting hardware? How did you swap the trim panels and arm rest?

Quick Reply: Rear side sunshades in a GS350 Fsport