GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

why no rear cross traffic in the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 12:21 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default why no rear cross traffic in the GS?

the 2013 ES/LS got rear cross traffic with the BSM, and a few 2013 toyota's have them too.

makes no sense as to why they would omit them from the GS, which is a higher model than the ES.

Old 05-29-13, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i might be wrong, but the new IS also has it right? if so, i say look for future facelift. just like the 8 speed in the new is350. this is quite similar to the 06 gs
Old 05-29-13, 01:06 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are many more features missing on the GS that other lower models have it: power trunk (ES), power folding mirror (RX, Sienna), backup steering line (Sienna), LED headlight (IS), LCD odometer (IS), auto high beam (ES)

Lot of folks will get angry when the '14 GS come out with some of those missing features.
Old 05-29-13, 01:11 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
There are many more features missing on the GS that other lower models have it: power trunk (ES), power folding mirror (RX, Sienna), backup steering line (Sienna), LED headlight (IS), LCD odometer (IS), auto high beam (ES)

Lot of folks will get angry when the '14 GS come out with some of those missing features.
I wouldn't say angry but I do miss the power folding mirrors I had on my '08 GS.
I don't care about the rest.
Don't know what a back up steering line is,though.The GS does have lines.
Old 05-29-13, 02:27 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh ok, so just controlled evolution.

im sure the 14 model will add some of those features.
Old 05-29-13, 03:14 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know I was thinking just that the other day, why don't we have rear cross traffic monitoring. We have those big ole "butterfly headrests" and it is difficult to see behind you at times

My wife was at the wheel and she simply backed out using the rear view screen. A car came zooming by and she had to brake hard. You know my wife still looks like one of those Captain Scarlett Spectrum Angel babes, I also think the Mysteron dude was driving the car we almost hit. We need cross traffic monitoring

why no rear cross traffic in the GS?-hqdefault.jpg

why no rear cross traffic in the GS?-vlcsnap-2013-01-12-13h20m25s196.png

BTW - didn't Captain Scarlett use to drive the SPV backwards looking at a TV screen. What a man!
Old 05-29-13, 03:14 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
the 2013 ES/LS got rear cross traffic with the BSM, and a few 2013 toyota's have them too.

makes no sense as to why they would omit them from the GS, which is a higher model than the ES.

most likely Lexus will add it to the 2014 model... my LS has it. these options are overrated... how many times will you really use 80% of the options in your car. the GS F Sport i had was fully loaded, but found myself not using the majority of the options. RCT i never use but it was part of the back up camera thingamajiggy. i never pull into a spot... i always back in, something about not having turn turn my head around and then having to turn it back and forth and applying the brake every time i see or think i see a car coming, that just irks my nerves... so i always back in. the one thing i can say about the RCT is that it has a wide range.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 05-29-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-29-13, 03:19 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zicogold
You know I was thinking just that the other day, why don't we have rear cross traffic monitoring. We have those big ole "butterfly headrests" and it is difficult to see behind you at times

My wife was at the wheel and she simply backed out using the rear view screen. A car came zooming by and she had to brake hard. You know my wife still looks like one of those Captain Scarlett Spectrum Angel babes, I also think the Mysteron dude was driving the car we almost hit. We need cross traffic monitoring

BTW - didn't Captain Scarlett use to drive the SPV backwards looking at a TV screen. What a man!
Yes, he did.

Between Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, Stingray, and of course UFO and Space:1999, Gerry Anderson was way ahead of his time! I cannot tell you the hours I spent watching those shows!
Old 05-29-13, 03:27 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Sadly the true man passed away late last year. But they pulled out Lady Penelope's Rolls-Royce for the cortege.

Old 05-29-13, 04:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
most likely Lexus will add it to the 2014 model... my LS has it. these options are overrated... how many times will you really use 80% of the options in your car. the GS F Sport i had was fully loaded, but found myself not using the majority of the options. RCT i never use but it was part of the back up camera thingamajiggy. i never pull into a spot... i always back in, something about not having turn turn my head around and then having to turn it back and forth and applying the brake every time i see or think i see a car coming, that just irks my nerves... so i always back in. the one thing i can say about the RCT is that it has a wide range.
luxury cars are all about the extra. if we talk about necessities then this is definitely the wrong site
Old 05-29-13, 07:06 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
luxury cars are all about the extra. if we talk about necessities then this is definitely the wrong site
i totally agree...
Old 05-29-13, 11:18 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of capt scarlett or the others. What generation was that?
Old 05-30-13, 05:38 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Captain Scarlet was a British marionette based kids series created by Gerry Anderson in the late 60's, about the same time Star Trek was making its initial run . Explorers on Mars inadvertently destroy a Mysteron outpost. The Mysterons, bent on revenge, attack earth and of course come in conflict with Spectrum. Spectrum is an altruistic global police force that "live" on Cloud Base. Through Captain Scalet's violent encounters with the Myterons he becomes immortal and so starts the basic premise of the show. His arch enemy was Captain Black.

There were plenty of these shows, Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stringray and of course Thunderbirds (Lady Penelope). In the seventies there was the adult oriented and racy UFO and Space 1999.

Like Star Trek some of the technology used by these swashbuckling puppets is in common use today. I am sure many a Lexus engineer spent time watching Captain Scarlet and were inspired to put the large screen in the GS. The only issue is that we are limited in our backward driving skills because we are mere mortals, so we do need cross traffic monitoring more then LKA.

why no rear cross traffic in the GS?-captainscarlet.jpg

why no rear cross traffic in the GS?-spv.jpg

Last edited by zicogold; 05-30-13 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-13-13, 12:44 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Coming Soon

Old 06-13-13, 03:59 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Coming Soon

The link does not work...

Quick Reply: why no rear cross traffic in the GS?