GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS 350 vs 2014 is 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 11:45 PM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by modthispny
said screw it, not worth the hassle/headache with taking it in to the dealer. from day 1 i said i wasn't going to be too **** with the car, bad enough i spent almost 1k getting it detailed twice within 2 months of getting it to get rid of holograms and swirls,(have an obsidian gs) dont want to go down the rattle rabbit hole.

the car is fine, i almost always drive w music on, and tonight was smooth and quiet and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

it's a lease and will be back in in 20 months, not that i dont love the car, its the best car i've had, but i know the noises will just come and go.
I reasoned as much and living with it. Rattles are increasing as you mentioned and I am at 12k right now. I am actually using in-ears in long drives when I am in high speed mode:-) Overwhelming noise by means of musik loudness does not work for me!
Old 06-21-13, 07:37 AM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I briefly compared the new IS vs GS.

Very impressive to see the new IS defeat the 3-series in a recent C&D comparo, it got my attention.

In the end, the greater size of the GS is important to me.

What works against the IS is the use of the GS chassis (greater weight). Kinda how the current 5-series suffers in the same way by using the 7-series architecture.

What I don't understand is how the IS gets the 8-speed auto and the GS only the 6. Typically, the tech trickles down without skipping a step.

Anyone know if the GS eventually will recieve the 8-speed? It was one of C&D's only gripes about the new car.
Old 06-21-13, 08:25 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neogenic
I reasoned as much and living with it. Rattles are increasing as you mentioned and I am at 12k right now. I am actually using in-ears in long drives when I am in high speed mode:-) Overwhelming noise by means of musik loudness does not work for me!
yea looks like both of us are plagued with the same problems. lol.

wish we weren't so picky, but guess we gotta live with it.
Old 06-21-13, 02:03 PM
LexFather

I hope to be able to share some very close and intimate thoughts on both soon.

Originally Posted by natnut
Neogenic, could it be that your windshield wipers are in the "winter" position? Apparently, the higher riding position of the windshield wipers in winter/snow mode causes more aerodynamic turbulence and more wind noise.

Perhaps the solution to your problem is to snap them into "summer" mode.

See :

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...per-trick.html

2013 Lexus GS 350: The Windshield Wiper Trick

Last February, during what passes for winter here in southern California, an alert reader noticed that the windshield wipers on our 2013 Lexus GS 350 were in the winter park position.

He was right of course, but several of us hadn't noticed. Snow is something we generally keep at arm's length in these parts unless we choose to ski on it.

The so-called "Snow/Service" position reduces the chance that light to moderate snow accumulation will bury the wipers. It keeps them out from under the edge of the hood so they can be lifted and unstuck.

But it's more than that, and GS owners in warm climates like ours should know what's up. That's because this raised position improves access to the wiper blades when they need changing.

During my road trip to the Circuit of the Americas, I put the wipers back in the summer position after reading the manual while I sat munching enchiladas in a café in Grants, New Mexico. I took pictures, filed them on my laptop, then promptly forgot all about them.

So here they are. Better late than never, right?

It's pretty easy to put the wipers back in the normal position once you know you won't break anything. Stand on the passenger side, not the driver's side, and press the blade down parallel to the glass in the direction you'd expect. It takes a bit of pressure to overcome the detent, but not too much. There's no reason to go to the driver's side after this. Both blades snap into position together.

This is where they're supposed to live most of the time, tucked in where they'll generate less aerodynamic turbulence and less wind noise. They look nicer here, too.

How do you put them back into the snow/service position? I don't have a picture of that, but it's not quite what you think.

Again, you must be on the passenger side, but you don't pull the blade back up the windshield toward the roof. Instead you lift the arm straight up off the glass a couple inches or so, then apply gentle backward pressure, if needed.

You can almost do it accidentally when you clean the glass. In fact, that's probably how our GS's wipers got into the snow/service position in the first place.

Dan Edmunds, Director of Vehicle Testing @ Many miles ago
lol thank you so much natnut. I took the 4GS into a professional wash for my wife and she was telling me her wipers are now visible. I messed with them but was scared to apply pressure but this is explaining everything.

Thanks for providing high value on a consistent basis
Old 06-21-13, 02:10 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thiis looks just "unfinished"....

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I hope to be able to share some very close and intimate thoughts on both soon.

lol thank you so much natnut. I took the 4GS into a professional wash for my wife and she was telling me her wipers are now visible. I messed with them but was scared to apply pressure but this is explaining everything.

Thanks for providing high value on a consistent basis
Good write-up and pictures but the way Lexus left the blades parked on this car is really not up to their normal engineering prowess..... Maybe the leading edge of a future trend.....
Old 06-22-13, 03:41 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by modthispny
yea looks like both of us are plagued with the same problems. lol.

wish we weren't so picky, but guess we gotta live with it.

Without a doubt:-)
Old 06-22-13, 04:21 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed that I wasn't able to hide the wiper as well as the 2gs. You can still see it on the 4gs after switching to summer mode.
Old 06-22-13, 08:16 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Back to the original topic...

If you check out the IS forum, you will see that although the IS comes with the LFA gauges the graphics are pretty old school and not very crisp and sharp. Also, the IS F Sport only comes with NuLuxe, not leather, seating surfaces. There are seat warmers but not coolers. Most who have actually seen the IS say the interior materials don't compare with those of the GS. Quality of the interior is one of the big differences. The layout of the IS interior actually reminds me somewhat of the CT I had as a loaner car.

The positives are the more unique exterior styling, the 8-speed tranny and the fold-down rear seats (although they don't fold flat). Also, the car is smaller overall so it should handle better and have a bit better acceleration.

I love my GS. The only reason I would consider the IS is because it is a smaller car and that's what I tend to prefer.
Old 06-24-13, 09:48 AM
gsbo14
Driver School Candidate

I havent made a purchase yet, but I was originally looking at the IS then the GS drew my attention. I think I plan to get the GS now.

My reasons are:

1. I am not sure how I feel about paying the MSRP for the IS right now. Understandably, I know some do to be the first ones driving a new model but that's not important to me. The MSRP for a 14 IS is not that much off to a 13 GS.

2. The GS is bigger and has more leg room in the rear seats. I would like my parents and my wife's parents to feel comfortable in the back.

To be honest, I am fairly young and would love to just drive the IS350 F Sport off the lot and start cruising down the high way now. Logic tells me the GS is a better choice at this moment. Who knows, I could be wrong. The reviews for the new IS seem to be better than the 13GS comparatively.
Old 06-24-13, 10:12 AM
LexFather

^^^ I think the GS reviews were just as good if not better than the IS. Both have won comparisons and are now seem as one of the top driving cars in class, no easy feat. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-24-13, 10:21 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

The problem with getting an IS 350 model is that it won't be long until the roads are flooded with IS 250 models which look the same. It's even possible to get an IS 250 in the F Sport trim level.
Old 06-24-13, 10:24 AM
gsbo14
Driver School Candidate

Yes i agree that some reviews for the GS are very positive. I have not read all the reviews out there. But the new IS beating the BMW 3 series and the Cadillac in the C&D review was very surprising to me. I am very happy for the Lexus win because the BMW drives like a dream to me. I think (not 100% sure) the GS also beat the 5 series but the 5 series does not dominate its segment the 3 series does.

There seem to be more negative GS reviews than the IS. This could be due to the fact that the 13 GS is out a lot longer than the 14 IS. I also thought the GS losing to the Audi A6 was heart breaking lol.

Ultimately, these reviews are still other people's opinions and I should get what I think are best for me.
Old 06-24-13, 10:36 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Well in the Motortrend comparison test, the GS did beat out the A6 (and co-incidentally the 5 series and the Infiniti M as well). What seems to be the common thread to all these comparisons, even the ones that the GS loses, is that the GS feels the most responsive and tossable of all the midsize luxury sport sedans.
Old 06-24-13, 10:43 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Back to the original topic...

If you check out the IS forum, you will see that although the IS comes with the LFA gauges the graphics are pretty old school and not very crisp and sharp. Also, the IS F Sport only comes with NuLuxe, not leather, seating surfaces. There are seat warmers but not coolers. Most who have actually seen the IS say the interior materials don't compare with those of the GS. Quality of the interior is one of the big differences. The layout of the IS interior actually reminds me somewhat of the CT I had as a loaner car.

The positives are the more unique exterior styling, the 8-speed tranny and the fold-down rear seats (although they don't fold flat). Also, the car is smaller overall so it should handle better and have a bit better acceleration.

I love my GS. The only reason I would consider the IS is because it is a smaller car and that's what I tend to prefer.
I agree with you. I saw the IS in person. It's a great looking vehicle for its class but I wasn't impressed enough to get it over the GS. The bottom line is it is still an IS. And as Outage said it won't be too long until the road is flooded with IS250.

Originally Posted by gsbo14

1. I am not sure how I feel about paying the MSRP for the IS right now. Understandably, I know some do to be the first ones driving a new model but that's not important to me. The MSRP for a 14 IS is not that much off to a 13 GS.
How much is not that much? I doubt Lexus would MSRP these two vehicles near each others. My guess would be near 10K for same equipped vehicles.
Old 06-24-13, 11:01 AM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

The IS has been impressive in reviews. And as dseag2 said, it is smaller and therefore perhaps more nimble/fun-to-drive than the GS.

BUT...if you need a bigger car the GS seems to be the best handling car in its segment. It did loose to the A6 in C&D, but that was not an F Sport pkg model. I'm waiting for a rematch.

I don't like driving the same car as the masses either but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying the car I want.

Also, depending on what you want, you can't just think LS>GS>IS. It's what is the purpose of the car? For example, an M3 is more of a driver's car than the M5 even though its down on overall power. Both cars are great at their intended purposes. M5 is the touring car.

Quick Reply: 2013 GS 350 vs 2014 is 350