GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Driver monitoring system, tested?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 11:43 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver monitoring system, tested?

Hello everybody,

Have you tried to test this? Does it work? I tried to trigger it but it does not seem to want to save my life:-)
I tried shielding each one and both cameras, closing my eyes, tilt my head sideways and looking up from an angle. Nothing. Nada, Zero reaction.

The only thing I see it two faint red LED when its dark enough. I do think they were brighter shine when the car was new.

http://www.lexus.com.bh/technology_e....asp?model=All
Old 08-12-13, 12:40 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing here. Doesn't work for me.

If I turn the LKA on and took my hand off the steering wheel for 3 seconds or more then it will beeps and cancel the LKA.
Old 08-19-13, 04:44 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Ths for your input,

Nobody else is curious?
Old 09-02-13, 08:12 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was curious too and tried everything I could... and had the same result.

I tried letting go of the wheel, with LKA enabled, and went considerably longer before I got the "get hands on the wheel" warning - maybe 10 sec. However, it didn't seem to disengage the LKA.

Haven't been able to "provoke" the PCS to kick in, but there's only so far I'll push. My wife's 2012 Volvo has the radar cruise, and it's much better in providing early warning - Lexus should learn from Volvo in that regard.
Old 09-02-13, 08:31 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

If you have some empty light cardboard boxes and you're brave you can test it that way, jack-*** style lol.
Old 09-02-13, 08:50 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny this was brought up.. mine went off the other day twice...I was driving on a main road. (South Oyster Bay Rd in Plainview (Long Island for those that know Long Island) and was distracted by looking at the nav screen (trying to call my brother) and didn't see that car slow down/stop... all the system did I felt was beep (not very loud mind you) and have a big Brake on the info screen on the dash... I don't know if it prepared the brakes for a stoppage...

The second I was trying to get onto the northern state parkway over from the LIE and the entrance ramp was short.. (i knew this so I threw it Sport + and was prepared to slam on the gas to get on... The donkey in front decides to take his time getting over and I of course had my foot on the petal.. the system warned me to brake...but I love listening to that engine
Old 09-03-13, 05:36 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i never tested the system in the GS that i owned. but i will say that the PCS does work and so does the LKA the DRCC works also, but never tried to test the drivers camera on the steering wheel. be careful with the PCS, IMO it's a little too sensitive... in certain situations. i still say to this day that mine had a glitch.
Old 09-03-13, 06:28 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I've heard nothing but horror stories about the system mis-interpreting and almost causing an accident. In theory it's a great concept. In execution, I must admit I'm scared by the prospect of what it could do if it malfunctions.
The following users liked this post:
xxjeffxx (05-16-22)
Old 09-06-13, 05:39 PM
FastHybrid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PCS system is designed to warn you only when it detects a collision is likely. If it were to warn every time your eyes are not on the road (like checking your side view mirrors) that would be quite annoying. I have had my GS for only about a month and the PCS system has already warned me 3-4 times :-). Not because I wasn't paying attention, but when changing lanes in traffic when you have to go close to the car in front at speed because the car in the next lane will keep you boxed in and won't speed up or slow down even after having your blinker on for a while (those drivers drive me nuts).
It is certainly good to know that the system is looking out for you in the rare case when you are not actually paying attention.