GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 10:32 PM
danspeeple
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System

Does anyone know if the navigation program in Lexus can be replaced with a different one and by the way what is the company that makes them? I think it sucks. I have used Garmin for so many years and that is the best Nav system so far. Google maps is even better than this piece of ##%
Old 08-20-13, 10:47 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I like it, especially on the highway, where exit lanes and services are clearly marked. It is much better than the Garmin in my other car, IMHO.
Old 08-21-13, 04:00 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
I like it, especially on the highway, where exit lanes and services are clearly marked. It is much better than the Garmin in my other car, IMHO.
Same here and the HUD also displays the lane change info.. was very helpful on a trip to Dallas lately, driving the downtown freeways and not knowing my way around. It did a great job.

Now the way to create and/or cancel a destination/trip is not the most intuitive.
Old 08-21-13, 06:00 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dan. Not sure if you're just trolling for a reaction or have a genuine complaint about the Nav system in the GS350. If you want to complain about a Nav system, I would suggest you try the one in the BMW or in the Mercedes. The one in the Lexus blows them both away. And I also have a Garmin I used to use in another car. While it worked very well as a small portable unit, it wasn't in the same category as the Nav system in the Lexus. Every review in the major auto mags have raved about the Lexus nav system. It does require reading the manual to use it intelligently though. I guess you just can't please everyone.
Old 08-21-13, 06:23 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To OP you need to adjust your nav settings maybe to show more information or better stuff. I am very happy with my GS nav. It does blow away the mercedes, audi , and BMW navs that we have on our cars. Its far more dependable then the garmins which I find finicky and slow to calculate changes in routes.
Old 08-21-13, 06:46 AM
bigblack06

Received 325 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by danspeeple
Does anyone know if the navigation program in Lexus can be replaced with a different one and by the way what is the company that makes them? I think it sucks. I have used Garmin for so many years and that is the best Nav system so far. Google maps is even better than this piece of ##%
The garmin is trash, I used one on a trip and I hated the fact that the navigation would tell me to turn at the last minute like 1/2 a mile near exit. Also I found the garmin giving me wrong directions. Google I agree is pretty good, but I have nothing wrong with my nav I love it and it gets me to where I'm going with no problems, just wish it was 3D.
Old 08-21-13, 06:56 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

While I was in Dallas, we wanted to find a place to eat and was told about an Applebee's in the area. I tried to get it to come up on the list of POI's but no luck. 4 cars were held up waiting for me to find it.. We ended up using Google on my girlfriend's cell phone.. I was not happy that the POI list would not see outside of a 2 mile range.. I know I need to practice
Old 08-21-13, 07:00 AM
ayoddOny
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? I think Lexus owns one of the best navigation systems out there. Yeah its ugly but its very accurate and easy to use.
Old 08-21-13, 07:04 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Oh, if address is known, it's a wonderful nav system, the best I've seen. I just need to learn to use the POI aspect of it better
Old 08-21-13, 07:08 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I think the Navi works great the few times I have used it. There was one time it couldn't find a Red Robin restaurant and I had to use my cell phone but oh well.
Old 08-21-13, 07:23 AM
LouG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I can add to the topic is that I wish manufacturers would still provide NAV as an option and not as a must-have due to the dash design. I'll take good old-fashioned buttons and ***** along with my iPhone's Google Maps any day of the week. I can see why some people really like having NAV as the more recent screens are very nice, but how many people really use the screen for its maps purposes on a regular basis, justifying it's probably $2,000 price tag?
Old 08-21-13, 07:25 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I agree with that. I would not buy the Navi. But it has saved many relationships as women are no longer yelling at me for getting lost and not asking for directions. LOL
Old 08-21-13, 08:08 AM
bigblack06

Received 325 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
While I was in Dallas, we wanted to find a place to eat and was told about an Applebee's in the area. I tried to get it to come up on the list of POI's but no luck. 4 cars were held up waiting for me to find it.. We ended up using Google on my girlfriend's cell phone.. I was not happy that the POI list would not see outside of a 2 mile range.. I know I need to practice
You could have used yelp probably would have found it and then transferred it in nav.
Old 08-21-13, 08:18 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigblack06
You could have used yelp probably would have found it and then transferred it in nav.
Like I said, I need to practce... i'd not have known I could do that or how.
Old 08-21-13, 08:50 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Destination assist helps very well in the instances where the address of the location is not known (yes, annual subscription after the first year)

Quick Reply: Navigation System