GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Display by speedometer flickering white

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 09:02 AM
m1key
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Display by speedometer flickering white

Hey guys. So I've been happily enjoying my 2013 GS350 for over a year now without any issues, until yesterday. I start my car and the little display between the speedometer and the tachometer goes totally white and starts flickering like a broken TV set. I cannot see my odometer or any of the other options on that screen. I haven't had a chance to take pictures/video but I will do it later today.

Went to the dealership this morning and they told me that they have never seen this issue again and that the one guy who would know is on vacation until next week (what?). Rather than wait for this "service" I was hoping someone here may have run into this issue before and knows what it could be. I'll try to post pictures later tonight, but if you've seen it happen you'd know what I'm talking about.
Old 08-22-13, 09:10 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds dangerous, so the speedo basically goes blank. I would say a reset is needed but I have never heard of that before.
Old 08-22-13, 09:13 AM
m1key
Driver School Candidate

The speedometer and everything else works fine. Its only the little display screen in the middle which shows gas millage, tire pressure, odometer, etc. I tried unhooking the battery for 15 minutes and hooking it back up hoping to force a restart myself but that didn't help. Its strange that the dealership doesn't even know how to deal with it.

I guess I'll have to wait until next week till their "guy" comes back.
Old 08-22-13, 09:15 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah it's odd that the dealer has only one tech familiar with the electronics in the GS. Are there times when it works ok or is it always acting up at this point? In any event, it sounds like something is in need of replacement.
Old 08-22-13, 09:19 AM
m1key
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately its always acting up. I can sometimes make out the odometer numbers in the flicker, but just barely. They told me that the entire instrument cluster may need replacement, but they want to have the guy take a look at it before they order the $5000 part. Always upsetting to see a relatively new car that I've been babying for the past year start to develop problems like this. Hopefully it'll get resolved. I'll keep updating here.
Old 08-22-13, 09:22 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

That is weird. Well don't lose faith in the GS just yet. The fact that this issue has never been seen is a testament to the solidity of this car. It sounds like something is loose/not soldered fully. It'll be a warranty issue so you'll be ok. Keep us posted.

Last edited by yardie876; 08-22-13 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 10:10 AM
m1key
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't lose faith that quickly. I love this car too much to give up on it over a display issue. I just hope they can figure it out without too much hassle. Thank you for your responses and I will definitely keep you updated.
Old 08-22-13, 10:18 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lose faith? Yeah it may be inconvenient but its under warranty, they will fix it. I had practically my whole engine replaced by Lexus and I haven't even come close to loosing faith. I love my car.
Old 08-22-13, 10:26 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, just turn the **** to S+ and any doubts just float away
Old 08-22-13, 10:47 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Yep, just turn the **** to S+ and any doubts just float away
Werd!
Old 08-22-13, 12:17 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by m1key
Unfortunately its always acting up. I can sometimes make out the odometer numbers in the flicker, but just barely. They told me that the entire instrument cluster may need replacement, but they want to have the guy take a look at it before they order the $5000 part. Always upsetting to see a relatively new car that I've been babying for the past year start to develop problems like this. Hopefully it'll get resolved. I'll keep updating here.
Oh sounds like a bad display, looks like it needs to be replaced. I was gonna say do you know any other dealerships in the area as I would just go to them. Most likely you should not be charged as its in warranty just take a pic of it, so if it doesn't want to act up at the dealership at least you can show a video or pic of it.
Old 08-22-13, 05:20 PM
mcfine
Driver School Candidate

Speaking of losing faith I bought my new GS350 F-Sport August 10th. My 535i had gotten rear ended and totaled and not being pleased on the level of service I got from the BMW dealership I didn't want to give them my money again. Opted for excellent service and renown reliability with the Lexus. On the 15th just 5 days after purchase my Nav screen just went berserk when performing the Apps update in the car.

Shook my faith a bit. Service did hold up as they took care of it very quickly, apologetically and professionally. Hoping I am just the unlucky sucker with the 1 in 300k malfunction.
Old 08-23-13, 05:46 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Yeah it's odd that the dealer has only one tech familiar with the electronics in the GS. Are there times when it works ok or is it always acting up at this point? In any event, it sounds like something is in need of replacement.
That is kind of BS, I have thirty techs here and two DS's to look at the cars. All of them can handle pretty much anything. I would probably go around the advisor that told you that and speak to the manager.

That is NOT Lexus service!
Old 08-23-13, 06:57 AM
m1key
Driver School Candidate

A picture for those who are interested. Its like this from the minute I sit down (and presumably the odometer should be displayed), and flickers between white and a very very faint image of what is actually supposed to be displayed the whole time I'm in the car.
Attached Thumbnails Display by speedometer flickering white-img_20130822_205118.jpg  
Old 08-23-13, 08:36 AM
flippd
Driver

I can't imagine that LCD alone being anywhere near $5K. Or else the car should've cost 100K.

Quick Reply: Display by speedometer flickering white