GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cross shop Tesla Model S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13 | 01:53 PM
FastHybrid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NewSpace
excellent review - i was similarly unimpressed with fit and finish, but unlike you, i thought the technology was amazing. felt like i was driving the future.
Yes I actually liked the car except for the interior. Didn't look too much into the tech features but is there anything which isn't available on other cars. In fact it has at least one (probably more) major omission, that it does not have a backup camera (or does it?).
In any case, if the interior was even close to the other cars in the same price range, I would have seriously considered buying it.

Edit: Actually it does have a rear view camera/

Last edited by FastHybrid; 08-30-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-30-13 | 07:22 PM
fraglerock
Rookie

My folks bought a P85 which I had the pleasure of driving down to LA from Fremont after a tour of the factory. They have both recently retired and will not be commuting anywhere. It made sense for them. It is insanely fun to drive! The torque is unreal. It does top out at 130 mph so as not to damage the batteries. I found the interior to be pretty cool, though I do like minimalistic design in general. I find it funny when people comment about traveling long distances in a Tesla, or the inability to. I have yet to talk to anyone who buys a vehicle within it's price point, whether an electric or ICE, who drives it cross country. Most people who can afford these cars are flying anywhere far. Hell, I refuse to drive to Vegas and it's only 3-4 hours away and I am far (really really far) from being wealthy. Although if my folks did want to make a drive for distance, they have their RX450h for that.

Last edited by fraglerock; 08-30-13 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-30-13 | 09:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome looking car, great tech, definitely feel like you are driving the future.

But, as others have said you really have to want to be an early adopter and want that technology because there are significant trade offs at the GS price point, and certainly at a optioned out Teslas price point.
Old 08-30-13 | 10:37 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Glad they paid their loan back to the American people. I still won't buy their car, but at least now I'm not forced to own part of their company.

Those photos above make it look like a Mazda 6.

The torque in that thing has to be fantastic though.
LMAO I love it. Everytime I see a tesla (saw MANY in Seattle/Bellvue/Kirkland while visiting the in-laws last week) I just laugh. Reminds me of a Jaguar, but that's not why I laugh, and I agree it does look nice from the exterior. And it is no shocker to me that it is popular in the bay area-so is Nancy Pelosi

Last edited by GSthe4th; 08-30-13 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-30-13 | 10:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Anybody who says this isn't a great looking car isn't being real IMHO. It's a great looking car...
Old 08-31-13 | 04:30 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Anybody who says this isn't a great looking car isn't being real IMHO. It's a great looking car...
It's definitely a good looking car. But I am looking forward to real electric cars, ones that have much longer range instead of a city /short range driver. I hope they come up with better battery and/or charging tech soon. Nothing like that instant torque an electric motor can give!
Old 08-31-13 | 06:10 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Owners claim they can easily get 250 miles range out of an 85kW. That seems sufficient for any kind of daily commute
Old 08-31-13 | 07:14 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Owners claim they can easily get 250 miles range out of an 85kW. That seems sufficient for any kind of daily commute
That's fine for a daily commute but I like to take road trips....
Old 08-31-13 | 09:09 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

my config of the Tesla MS came up to 97K... once i saw the #'s i said "hell to the no". it's a gorgeous car, i've been in it twice at the Tesla store in L.I. Roosevelt Field mall. the touch screen gave me shivers 17"... and you can control everything from suspension to moonroof through the touchscreen. i've read that some are having problems with that car.
Old 08-31-13 | 09:14 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, mixed reviews. People love their Model S but they also tolerate things like "door handles only presenting themselves 4 out of 10 times I approached the car" - from the teslamotorsclub owners forum. There are many reasons I want this car: US made, high tech, break dependence on foreign oil, and finally relationship to SpaceX (I'm in the aerospace industry). But alas, it's just too expensive to make these big compromises, and live with range anxiety.

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
my config of the Tesla MS came up to 97K... once i saw the #'s i said "hell to the no". it's a gorgeous car, i've been in it twice at the Tesla store in L.I. Roosevelt Field mall. the touch screen gave me shivers 17"... and you can control everything from suspension to moonroof through the touchscreen. i've read that some are having problems with that car.
Old 08-31-13 | 10:47 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Not to hijack the thread, but in the mid-90's I consulted for Chase Manhattan out at their Hyde Park facility - Spent a lot of off hours haunting the Roosevelt Field mall when we didn't want to go into the city.

'Course, that was loooong before the Tesla store.
Old 08-31-13 | 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
That's fine for a daily commute but I like to take road trips....
Interesting thing about that. Tesla is working on rapid charge stations and battery swap stations. They are rolling them out in CA and along 95 on the east coast...there is one at the Delaware rest stop on 95. The rapid charge takes 30 minutes and is free. The battery swap costs about $60 and takes about a minute. They actually swap the battery for a fully charged one.

The tech is getting there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlaQu...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-31-13 | 03:23 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Interesting thing about that. Tesla is working on rapid charge stations and battery swap stations. They are rolling them out in CA and along 95 on the east coast...there is one at the Delaware rest stop on 95. The rapid charge takes 30 minutes and is free. The battery swap costs about $60 and takes about a minute. They actually swap the battery for a fully charged one.

The tech is getting there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlaQu...ature=youtu.be
No doubt the infrastructure will be there eventually. A few more years..
Old 08-31-13 | 08:50 PM
5PM
Driver

They are everywhere in the Bay Area because this it the most tech-oriented place in the US and there are a LOT of people rich enough to write a check for a Tesla here. Call me when Baltimore and Pittsburg start filling up with them.

This isn't new either. For the past five years you could see about 10X as many Tesla Roadsters around here as the car it is as based on, the Lotus Elise. Don't think of the Bay Area as representative of the appeal of Tesla; it's an outlier par excellence.

Last edited by 5PM; 08-31-13 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-31-13 | 09:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ton on Teslas around here. I see way more Teslas than 4GS...

And yes...I've seen multiple in Baltimore.