GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cross shop Tesla Model S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 07:08 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cross shop Tesla Model S?

Has anyone cross shopped the 4GS against the Model S? Or owned both?

I know they're not necessarily comparable, but damn, the MS looks good:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ml#post8114382
Old 08-30-13, 07:33 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a few in my area. They are interesting looking and have very similar lines to that of the GS on the exterior and I think that they are a game changer. That being said. I don't feel like it's worth the money just yet.
Old 08-30-13, 07:37 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

I priced one out with everything the GS has...$107,000. Touch that. There is no point in my life where I can even begin to justify spending that kind of money on a car. It's ridiculous enough at $60K.

Based on my driving habits, it would be ideal for me, since my office is <5 miles from my house and my GS currently has <7,000 miles after ~19 months of ownership.

But at the same time, I could also just buy a bike and save $106,500....decisions, decisions....
Old 08-30-13, 07:49 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went on Tesla's site and built a Model S with any comporable ammenities that the GS has and it cost nearly 120K$
Old 08-30-13, 09:01 AM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in the Bay Area, I see more Model S than 4GS on the road on any given date.
Old 08-30-13, 09:21 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They look good to me. Just wish they weren't so expensive:

Old 08-30-13, 09:34 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen quite a few of them. Expensive but I don't know how much you are actually saving. I can't even remember to charge my phone at night... imagine a car
That said I would love to go for a test drive
Old 08-30-13, 09:40 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

You want to be an early adopter, you need to pay the piper.

For me in the NE, it makes little sense. I understand the battery performance in cold weather is poor, Not to mention all that torque with RWD in the snow.

So if I went with one of these, I'd need to put it away in the winter like I currently do with my ISF.
Old 08-30-13, 10:16 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

for me it might make sense. i drive 100 miles round trip daily, so gas adds up.

plus to be a baller in silicon valley, this is a must have.

still it's expensive and i can't imagine dealing with glitches after paying that much for a car.
Old 08-30-13, 10:57 AM
FastHybrid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I did cross-shop with Tesla Model S before purchasing the GSh. I already posted my thoughts on another thread, so just pasting them here -

I test drove the Tesla S (their most powerful P85+ model, which costs 100K+) before purchasing the GS450h. I wanted to test drive the 60 model as that was closer to (though still above) my budget, but it wasn't available at the time. In any case, I can tell you there is no reason to buy a Tesla other than if you just want to own an electric car. And in that case I agree it is probably the best one you can buy at this time, the electric Merc SLS notwithstanding.
But I think what most people don't realize (I didn't either) is how stripped out the Tesla is. To give you a few examples -
- there is no center console, just an oddly shaped plastic tray in its place.
- the interior materials have no premium feel to them
- the back seat belongs to something like a civic/corolla. It basically is lightly padded bench.
- The inside door handles are nothing more than "kinks" in the door trim
- Has panorama roof which can not be covered (the salesperson claimed the glass cuts out 80-90% of the light, but still).
- The cup holders are probably the worst I have seen and practically useless as they are placed right where your elbow goes when driving (I think this just shows their inexperience with car design).

Basically the whole interior is as spartan as one could imagine, except for the huge block of a screen in the dash, which IMO is quite aesthetically challenged (there is no real flow to the dashboard). And there is good reason for the pauper interior - weight saving. Their primary goal was to overcome the biggest challenge electric cars face today, range. Of course to cover up for the lack of traditional luxury they have put in lots of tech stuff which doesn't add any significant weight.
There are a few good things about it though -
- It looks awesome - probably one of the best looking sedans, looks much better in person (IMO, of course).
- has lots of interior space/leg room
- was recently rated as the safest car ever tested
- you get car pool lane access at least in CA (this could be a big plus for some).
- and of course will cost a fraction of gas cars to run and maintain, but you are paying a big premium to purchase it.
- Has pretty good power, but you can get gas only cars at the same or below price point with same power and ample luxury.

But for most people spending $70K+ on a car, I would assume a luxurious interior is very important (it certainly would be for most of us Lexus buyers).. Tesla is certainly doing very well (meaning better than expected) and it has its niche market, just like stripped out sports cars do, but for most buyers electric cars are still too expensive for what they offer, even after the tax credits.
Old 08-30-13, 11:07 AM
FastHybrid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e39ng
Here in the Bay Area, I see more Model S than 4GS on the road on any given date.
Actually I would say I see many times more Teslas on the road than the 4GS. In fact, I don't remember seeing any 4GSh on the road, except of course for mine :-). Where as there are several Teslas in my office itself.
Old 08-30-13, 11:28 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. I see maybe 4 Teslas per day. GS F Sport is 4 in a month. Exclusivity!

Originally Posted by FastHybrid
Actually I would say I see many times more Teslas on the road than the 4GS. In fact, I don't remember seeing any 4GSh on the road, except of course for mine :-). Where as there are several Teslas in my office itself.
Old 08-30-13, 11:45 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Glad they paid their loan back to the American people. I still won't buy their car, but at least now I'm not forced to own part of their company.

Those photos above make it look like a Mazda 6.

The torque in that thing has to be fantastic though.
Old 08-30-13, 11:56 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

excellent review - i was similarly unimpressed with fit and finish, but unlike you, i thought the technology was amazing. felt like i was driving the future.

Originally Posted by FastHybrid
Yes I did cross-shop with Tesla Model S before purchasing the GSh. I already posted my thoughts on another thread, so just pasting them here -

I test drove the Tesla S (their most powerful P85+ model, which costs 100K+) before purchasing the GS450h. I wanted to test drive the 60 model as that was closer to (though still above) my budget, but it wasn't available at the time. In any case, I can tell you there is no reason to buy a Tesla other than if you just want to own an electric car. And in that case I agree it is probably the best one you can buy at this time, the electric Merc SLS notwithstanding.
But I think what most people don't realize (I didn't either) is how stripped out the Tesla is. To give you a few examples -
- there is no center console, just an oddly shaped plastic tray in its place.
- the interior materials have no premium feel to them
- the back seat belongs to something like a civic/corolla. It basically is lightly padded bench.
- The inside door handles are nothing more than "kinks" in the door trim
- Has panorama roof which can not be covered (the salesperson claimed the glass cuts out 80-90% of the light, but still).
- The cup holders are probably the worst I have seen and practically useless as they are placed right where your elbow goes when driving (I think this just shows their inexperience with car design).

Basically the whole interior is as spartan as one could imagine, except for the huge block of a screen in the dash, which IMO is quite aesthetically challenged (there is no real flow to the dashboard). And there is good reason for the pauper interior - weight saving. Their primary goal was to overcome the biggest challenge electric cars face today, range. Of course to cover up for the lack of traditional luxury they have put in lots of tech stuff which doesn't add any significant weight.
There are a few good things about it though -
- It looks awesome - probably one of the best looking sedans, looks much better in person (IMO, of course).
- has lots of interior space/leg room
- was recently rated as the safest car ever tested
- you get car pool lane access at least in CA (this could be a big plus for some).
- and of course will cost a fraction of gas cars to run and maintain, but you are paying a big premium to purchase it.
- Has pretty good power, but you can get gas only cars at the same or below price point with same power and ample luxury.

But for most people spending $70K+ on a car, I would assume a luxurious interior is very important (it certainly would be for most of us Lexus buyers).. Tesla is certainly doing very well (meaning better than expected) and it has its niche market, just like stripped out sports cars do, but for most buyers electric cars are still too expensive for what they offer, even after the tax credits.
Old 08-30-13, 01:17 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

I already said it. This car is a joke. If you want to take your GF to Las Vegas, you're a dead meat on the desert. If you forget to recharge the car, you will get laid off someday.

Quick Reply: Cross shop Tesla Model S?