GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Six Weeks In: 4GS F Sport ***** List!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-13, 08:27 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Six Weeks In: 4GS F Sport ***** List!

1. The window sill material is stupid. If you use the sill as an elbow rest (something I've done for 13 years in my E36 M3 and for a year in a IS 250) you will leave a permanent impression in it. Ridiculous.
  2. The Bluetooth/App Suite stuff isn't quite ready for prime time; lots of weird connection issues that take a revolving set of actions to fix: run around the sources list, restart Enform on the phone, restart the phone, restart the car...
  3. Oh. There is no 3.

Really, that's just about it. This is as close to a perfect car as I've ever had.

Due to a combination of New Toy Syndrome and a lot of unexpected work travel, I've driven my GS about 3X farther than would be typical for me in a month and a half, 2600 miles. Non-***** things I've noticed:
  1. The engine is not as turbine-smooth as the one in my IS 250, but part of that is the much more aggressive exhaust tuning in the GS, which is a hoot. Drive people around like a chauffeur in town, then floor it getting on to the freeway and watch the facial expressions.
  2. Everyone says they want more ponies, but reality is that here in the SF Bay Area, you're never, ever going to need them and will have precious few chances to use them, unless you track the car. The 350 is fast enough for all reasonable purposes and a bunch of irresponsible ones too.
  3. This is a superbly balanced and razor-sharp driver's car with awesome seats that can keep up with some seriously aggressive driving. I had an opportunity to drive between Cataract Falls and Bolinas with my wife and daughter in the car and just about zero traffic. I started out slowly but decided to keep picking up the pace until one or both of the girls told me to cut it out. They never did...and I was at about 7/10 by the middle of the trip. That's amazing; in my M3 they would have been on me to slow down after about two minutes.

If you're considering one of these, don't hesitate. You have no idea how much fun you're missing out on right now!

Old 08-31-13, 08:40 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to give you a lot of credit for a very honest and balanced review.

Glad to see you are enjoying the car. I have owned so many german cars but this Lexus GS F-Sport is by far my favorite.
Old 08-31-13, 09:02 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
  1. The window sill material is stupid. If you use the sill as an elbow rest (something I've done for 13 years in my E36 M3 and for a year in a IS 250) you will leave a permanent impression in it. Ridiculous.
  2. The Bluetooth/App Suite stuff isn't quite ready for prime time; lots of weird connection issues that take a revolving set of actions to fix: run around the sources list, restart Enform on the phone, restart the phone, restart the car...
  3. Oh. There is no 3.

Really, that's just about it. This is as close to a perfect car as I've ever had.

Due to a combination of New Toy Syndrome and a lot of unexpected work travel, I've driven my GS about 3X farther than would be typical for me in a month and a half, 2600 miles. Non-***** things I've noticed:
  1. The engine is not as turbine-smooth as the one in my IS 250, but part of that is the much more aggressive exhaust tuning in the GS, which is a hoot. Drive people around like a chauffeur in town, then floor it getting on to the freeway and watch the facial expressions.
  2. Everyone says they want more ponies, but reality is that here in the SF Bay Area, you're never, ever going to need them and will have precious few chances to use them, unless you track the car. The 350 is fast enough for all reasonable purposes and a bunch of irresponsible ones too.
  3. This is a superbly balanced and razor-sharp driver's car with awesome seats that can keep up with some seriously aggressive driving. I had an opportunity to drive between Cataract Falls and Bolinas with my wife and daughter in the car and just about zero traffic. I started out slowly but decided to keep picking up the pace until one or both of the girls told me to cut it out. They never did...and I was at about 7/10 by the middle of the trip. That's amazing; in my M3 they would have been on me to slow down after about two minutes.

If you're considering one of these, don't hesitate. You have no idea how much fun you're missing out on right now!
Lol yep I found that out the first trip I made, it's cause the material is softer, use to do it in my 3GS with no problem. The indent will come out you have to press it out and it will go away.
Old 08-31-13, 09:13 PM
5PM
Driver

>The indent will come out you have to press it out and it will go away.

I'll try that, but even if the dent comes out, it's still just stupid. The only reason to use such soft material is for driver comfort...but if the driver actually uses the sill he damages it! Went on and on about this in the Lexus survey.
Old 08-31-13, 09:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

The indentation is something I've seen with every Lexus vehicle I've had, except the LS430 because there actually wood in that section. It gets pretty bad over time.
Old 08-31-13, 09:20 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm very satisfied with the car after about 9 months of ownership, i guess if i had to point out some gripes, i would say the cars doors rattle over bumps, and just a little wind noise from passenger b-pillar, but it seems like everybody els's GS in this forum is tomb silent, so maybe the guy fell asleep a bit when assembling my car. -_-
Old 08-31-13, 09:26 PM
5PM
Driver

Originally Posted by modthispny
i'm very satisfied with the car after about 9 months of ownership, i guess if i had to point out some gripes, i would say the cars doors rattle over bumps, and just a little wind noise from passenger b-pillar, but it seems like everybody els's GS in this forum is tomb silent, so maybe the guy fell asleep a bit when assembling my car. -_-
If you have door rattles see the dealer...I had a weird door clunking over bumps in my 2010 IS 250 that only I seemed to be able to hear, but I was able to demonstrate it to the dealer service guys and they went WAY beyond the call of duty to fix it. In fact, that service experience is why I got a GS; they loaned me one overnight while fixing the IS door. Might have made me a Lexus life customer with that effort.
Old 08-31-13, 09:37 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember seeing your delivery day pictures with the red ribbon and a big smirk. Congratulations on your purchase, and double congrats for being even happier six weeks later.

Have to agree on point #2 on your list of pros. It's often that I daydream about the new Stingray, the upcoming RC F, an M4, or even waiting for the real "F" version of the GS. But the ideal car is one that can play all roles well in the real world. You conclude that the GS is indeed that rare "all-arounder." Nice.
Old 09-02-13, 09:41 PM
5PM
Driver

Default Hmmm...maybe I spoke too soon

Good thing I've already done the initial quality survey...because this morning the car would not start and is now completely dead in the basement parking garage here, so dead I had to use the physical key to lock it. 2676 miles, six weeks and one day. I have no explanation yet; it's probably a battery issue but the car was put away the night before like every other night, no reason for the battery to drain. Nobody answered the phone at dealer service today, but it is Labor Day and I didn't have time to deal with it anyway. I have another car; if I didn't, I'd be totally pissed to have been stranded by a brand new ~$60K car.

Will write up the forthcoming "experience" for all to see.
Old 09-02-13, 09:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you read the threads here about members that have had battery problems?
Old 09-02-13, 09:45 PM
5PM
Driver

Have not, will now!

Read the longest thread and this sure looks like a GS series problem. My car has been driven constantly since delivery, lights were in AUTO, the only device connected to the electrical system was a USB charger plug (which was inactive anyway as Toyota doesn't like hot 12V jacks with the ignition off) and the key fobs were both out of and well away from the car. The car had been driven a very short distance (1-2 miles) the previous day but had normal use (40-50 miles) the day before that.

No excuse for this.

Last edited by 5PM; 09-02-13 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-03-13, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I personally think its a bad batch of batteries. To be sure most people don't have the issue, and a battery replacement seems to solve the issue.
Old 09-03-13, 01:27 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
Have not, will now!

Read the longest thread and this sure looks like a GS series problem. My car has been driven constantly since delivery, lights were in AUTO, the only device connected to the electrical system was a USB charger plug (which was inactive anyway as Toyota doesn't like hot 12V jacks with the ignition off) and the key fobs were both out of and well away from the car. The car had been driven a very short distance (1-2 miles) the previous day but had normal use (40-50 miles) the day before that.

No excuse for this.
Originally Posted by SW13GS
I personally think its a bad batch of batteries. To be sure most people don't have the issue, and a battery replacement seems to solve the issue.
There is no excuse although, my car was at the dealership for a week for the same problem and the car is starting fine. I had this problem as well but with no cure for the problem as I guess its working fine now, I' guessing the battery just needs to be driven on up to the 5K as I didn't have the problem after that.
Old 09-03-13, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've had batteries fail on brand new cars several times in my life. They spend a lot of time discharged when the cars sit on the lot and people open up the doors and stuff without starting them up.
Old 09-03-13, 02:26 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
mines not silent at all! I should take it in

Quick Reply: Six Weeks In: 4GS F Sport ***** List!