GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

A/C Question for your guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 07:38 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default A/C Question for your guys

There is one and only one thing that annoys me about my 4GS. My A/C is always in Auto mode, and when I turn on the car it defaults to Recirc. That's not the problem. The problem is that no matter how long I drive the car it NEVER changes to Fresh Air mode. I always have to do it manually. Every other car I've ever owned or driven has automatically moved over to Fresh Air mode once the car has cooled off. Does anyone else have this same issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Would love some input. Thanks.
Old 09-20-13, 07:44 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Does it stay on recirc even if you put the recirc button to auto?
Old 09-20-13, 07:50 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
There is one and only one thing that annoys me about my 4GS. My A/C is always in Auto mode, and when I turn on the car it defaults to Recirc. That's not the problem. The problem is that no matter how long I drive the car it NEVER changes to Fresh Air mode. I always have to do it manually. Every other car I've ever owned or driven has automatically moved over to Fresh Air mode once the car has cooled off. Does anyone else have this same issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Would love some input. Thanks.
I've noticed this too, it's mostly never in fresh always in recirculation
Old 09-21-13, 01:20 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

It's interesting what we prefer. You want something that we really hate. I don't think Lexus will switch to fresh air after you drive awhile. Once it's recirc, it will stay this way. At least that's what I notice on the RX and GS. I was driving the GL and it did switch to fresh air after driving for awhile. That feature drove us nuts. My wife's very sensitive to the outside air and she kept asking me why I let the air in. We had to keep switching it back.
Old 09-21-13, 09:03 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Hmmmm. Actually, I find that the combo of recirc and fresh air is better and cools the cabin more evenly. Not sure why Lexus chose to keep it in recirc until the driver manually changes it. Sounds like everyone else has a similar situation.
Old 09-22-13, 07:38 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
It's interesting what we prefer. You want something that we really hate. I don't think Lexus will switch to fresh air after you drive awhile. Once it's recirc, it will stay this way. At least that's what I notice on the RX and GS. I was driving the GL and it did switch to fresh air after driving for awhile. That feature drove us nuts. My wife's very sensitive to the outside air and she kept asking me why I let the air in. We had to keep switching it back.
This is not a Lexus issue. It is not even a Lexus GS issue. This is an issue that only affects the current generation GS and I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT! I had two previous generation GS cars and my friend drives and RX. These cars do switch to fresh air mode once the cabin is sufficiently cooled (in the summer) or heated unless the temperature outside is extreme. Not the new GS. Just like the original poster, I don't understand the cause for this.

Because I have to override the auto fresh / recirculate mode now to put the car in fresh air mode, the automatic smog filter mode doesn't work! I hate this part much more than having to manually switch the car into fresh air mode.
Old 09-22-13, 04:28 PM
GM11
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

????
Mine switches from recirculated to fresh automatically. Just watched it do it this afternoon to be sure before posting. Works perfectly.
Old 09-22-13, 07:31 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Interesting that some switch and some don't. I will take it back to Lexus to see if it is a programming issue. It drives me nuts.
Old 09-23-13, 06:24 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in S Florida and have mine on auto. Mine will switch during the cooler months, but then summer is 85+ and im calling for 74 degress in the car.
Old 09-23-13, 07:11 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Mine switches once the car cools down a bit. It starts with recirculated air and then switches to fresh air. I just leave it in auto mode.
Old 09-23-13, 12:49 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Maybe the smog sensor setting in your car is set too high. Try lowering the sensitivity to see if your car changes modes after the car cools.
Old 09-23-13, 02:32 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
Maybe the smog sensor setting in your car is set too high. Try lowering the sensitivity to see if your car changes modes after the car cools.
I thought about that, just haven't had time to test this yet and now it's too cool. The non-switching is only an issue during the hot months (or coldest ones). It's fine when it's mid 70s or lower outside.
Old 09-23-13, 07:25 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
That's a great suggestion, but I actually already lowered mine to the lowest setting, thinking that might be the problem. I know there are lots of allergens in TX, so maybe that's the reason.
Old 09-24-13, 11:03 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've noticed that even when it's 100 degrees outside, and I'm asking for 72 inside, if I flip it to Eco mode it will kick the fan down a few notches. Is the fan really costing me more gas? If so that's one heck of a big fan.
Old 09-24-13, 11:14 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

You guys sure you have the A/C on "auto" mode AS WELL AS the circulation button too??? They both have to be on "auto" for it to switch between recirc and fresh...

Quick Reply: A/C Question for your guys