GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why I Bought a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 04:21 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I Bought a Lexus

Until I shopped for my 2013 Lexus GS 350, I'd never set foot inside a Lexus/Toyota showroom. It was never a very attractive brand to me. My standards were looks, quality build and the driving experience. The best car I'd ever owned was a 2002 (next gen) Nissan Altima V6 (the one with the Maxima VQ engine). It had all three qualities --looks, quality build, and driving fun-- in spades, and was the first "foreign" car to be named North American Car of the year. I drove that car hard. I mean really hard. I once even drove it into a ditch. And I pushed it's acceleration to the limit. I handed that car down to one of my daughters for her senior high school year and four years of college. She still has it. The car was built so tight, despite my abuse and my teenager's years of use, the car doesn't have a single rattle or squeak! That's quality build! That purchase in 2002 was my first ever non-American brand, and I was hooked.

In 2007, I purchased for myself a 2008 Acura RDX, the compact SUV. Lots of head room for 5 adults, tech package, the only Acura with a turbo-charger, and Super-Handling AWD, which was better IMHO than Audi's Quattro. I still have that car. Over 100k on it now and all I've done is oil changes and a new set of tires. I almost traded it in for the GS but decided to keep it, because I didn't know what I was going to get with a Lexus/Toyota product.

I wanted to go back to a sports sedan, a more powerful one than the old Nissan. The kids were done with college and it was time to treat myself instead of paying tuition bills for them. I first considered the two brands that had most recently hit home runs with me--Nissan and Acura. The Maxima was only FWD, so that was out. I wanted a sports sedan with AWD. Acura does offer a TL with AWD, but I concluded it was too small interior-wise.

The next step was to look at the Infiniti M37x. I thought it was a possibility but it only looked good in black, and I liked changing colors (I'd just done black and then red), so I looked at the new Acura RLX. I drove it. It's roomy as a Lexus LS with a sticker more like a GS, but it currently comes only in FWD. The RLX also failed the driving experience test. It drove more like an appliance---a very good appliance-- but an appliance nonetheless. I considered the Jaguar XF (too small inside like the Acura TL), and the Audi A6, but it just didn't grab me--I don't know how else to describe it. Then I decided that if I do go "German" why go to the number 3 German brand?

That left BMW, MB, and Lexus. I looked at the Germans first. I quickly discovered that to get everything I was looking for in a new car options-wise, the 535xi loaded + sports package and the E350 similarly loaded would both cost thousands more than a similarly equipped Lexus GS. I did this comparison shopping online. So, I somewhat reluctantly decided to visit a Lexus showroom for the very first time in my life. I showed up on an early Saturday morning to look around the lot (there were several GS's outside) before they opened so as not to be bothered by sales. To my surprise, a sales man emerged from inside, told me they weren't yet opened, but offered to tell me about the cars. I stayed and listened, and told him I might be back. His helpfulness and non-pressured approach drew me back two days later.

The IS was too small, so I looked only at the GS, LS and RX. I immediately realized the LS was absurdly expensive, the RX, frankly, hideous (I'd buy another Acura before I'd buy a bloated, whale-like Lexus SUV) and the FWD in the ES steered me away from even considering it. I concluded the GS was the only vehicle in the Lexus fleet that was acceptable. Then I test drove it. Wow! I kept thinking, THIS is a sports sedan! It has looks, quality build (I think) and driving experience. It doesn't feel like an appliance---something out of a rental car fleet.

Anyway, that's how I became a first time Lexus/Toyota buyer. I would still never buy a Toyota brand vehicle. The V6 Altima kicks the Camry's *** all over the road in driving experience, but Lexus has me hooked on the GS. I've taken two 4-5 hour drives in my 10 week old 4GS and enjoyed every minute and mile, accelerating along curvy mountain roads, passing traffic with a roar on flat straights, cruising without fear with AWD in steady rain. The GS hits 100 mph easily, almost without notice.

The only test remaining for the GS in my book is quality build, but that can only be measured by miles and years. I admit that I don't tend to trade in cars every 2-4 years like some folks. I pick vehicles that I think have all three of my required elements, and if I'm right, the build is of such quality trading the car before it is extremely old isn't necessary. In the past, I've handed down my vehicles to my kids. Only American brands, so far, have failed me and required major repairs or were about to require major repairs soon after warranty expiration. Nissan and Acura have proven their reliability with me. I hope my Lexus is just as good.
Old 10-16-13, 05:25 AM
bobraynard
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice, educated, informative write up!
Welcome to Lexus!
Old 10-16-13, 06:53 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobraynard
Very nice, educated, informative write up!
Welcome to Lexus!
thanks Bob. Two more weeks will be my 3 month "anniversary." So far so good. If I sound cautious about the quality of the build it's only because I have no history with Lexus. But the driving experience with this car is awesome.
Old 10-16-13, 07:00 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write up Trek. I have enjoyed you input as I look to purchase a new vehicle. Pretty much leaning to the GS...may have to wait for 2014 since dealer essentially has none. Said they could "redirect" as some are still in the system...but that would add $700-$1000 to the cost. IF I were to buy a 2013 I would only do it at a real "right" price...or I will wait until 2014s settle in...maybe December as some say Lexus had a big push in December.

BTW...I have the dealer sending me lease info on the 2013s...as you and other have said...there is a very good lease incentive on 2013...including a $2,500 cap cost buy down...and perhaps a somewhat low lease "interest" rate. Only on the GS...not the same on ES...even though they have good stock of ES.

Thanks...Tom
Old 10-16-13, 07:43 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Lexus reliability aside, what drew me to Lexus is the consistent dealer experience. It's like a McDonalds hamburger.

I can swing by my dealer for a free car wash anytime and visit the customer service area for a free lunch. When I had a BMW, I wasn't even offered a loaner.
Old 10-16-13, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
The only test remaining for the GS in my book is quality build, but that can only be measured by miles and years
Seeing that is what Lexus is known for and does best, I think you'll be happy.
Old 10-16-13, 09:50 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome to Lexus! Great read.
Old 10-16-13, 09:52 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up!
Old 10-16-13, 10:28 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome on board! You won't be disappointed with Lexus's build quality.
Old 10-16-13, 12:58 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Seeing that is what Lexus is known for and does best, I think you'll be happy.
It really isn't, its what BMW does best. In term of build quality BMW has lexus in the rear view mirror. There isn't a inch in a bmw car that wasn't sweated over, thats the best way i can put it
Old 10-16-13, 01:14 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

What made you switch to the lexus then? It must be performance then! Lol
Old 10-16-13, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infamous3
It really isn't, its what BMW does best. In term of build quality BMW has lexus in the rear view mirror. There isn't a inch in a bmw car that wasn't sweated over, thats the best way i can put it
I completely disagree. If you ask consumers, automotive journalists, whoever one of the top things that comes to mind when they think of a Lexus...build quality and reliability will always be on that top list. You should do some more research into how Lexus' have been designed and engineered and you will see that build quality was absolutely one of their main focuses when the entire idea of Lexus was even conceived.

Not to detract from BMW in the area of build quality, their build quality has also always been quite good, where their vehicles have fallen down is in material quality, reliability, and integrity over time.

I've had 5 Lexus vehicles, two of them upwards of 200,000 miles and nothing takes miles like a Lexus. Even near 200k miles if they are well cared for they're still solid, smooth, rattle free, and drive like they did the day they were new.

I have many friends with other luxury cars and I look at what the people that have older BMWs go through, and look at how their vehicles have aged over time and compare them to my Lexuses and there is no comparison. BMW materials get worn more quickly, their interiors get loose and rattle-y, their interior switchgear gets dated looking more quickly, and reliability is absolutely no comparison. These are reasons why Lexus is always so much higher rated than BMW in initial quality, dependability...you will not find a BMW on any list of initial quality, dependability, etc. Lexus won the entry class, full size class, and luxury SUV class for IQ in 2012. I'm sure the GS will win in 2013 (there was no GS in 2012). The latest 5 year dependability study is out, Lexus is #1. BMW is below the industry average so its not even on the list:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/13/j...-lexus-and-po/

I like BMWs, I'm sure I'll lease one at some point to have the experience but I would never keep a BMW out of warranty...while I would keep a Lexus out of warranty without concern.

EDIT: 2013 Initial Quality is out and the GS did not win its segment (the Hyundai Genesis did) but, not one BMW is on the list:

http://www.jdpower.com/content/blog-...lity-study.htm

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-16-13 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 01:32 PM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

I've owned both Lexus and BMW. No doubt BMW beats Lexus in some areas (performance being one), but not build quality. Not even close.

Just look at the maintenance $ you will rack up with BMW vs. Lexus. Not sure if there is any public data on this, but I would bet my house that you will spend more money on maintenance on a BMW over the life of the vehicle. What better way to measure build quality?
Old 10-16-13, 01:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flying3
Just look at the maintenance $ you will rack up with BMW vs. Lexus. Not sure if there is any public data on this, but I would bet my house that you will spend more money on maintenance on a BMW over the life of the vehicle. What better way to measure build quality?
I just know that I know several people who have traded older BMWs on Lexus vehicles upon my urging, and the costs of what they had been spending on repairs was absolutely staggering to me. I have one friend who traded an 01 530 on a 2011 ES350 and he had spent $8,000 on repairs so far that year. I mean...find an owner of an 01 Lexus on here thats spent $8k on repairs in a year?

I have another friend who is a huge BMW fan, and she typically doesn't keep them longer than 4 years or so but this time she has because of the economy. She has a 2008 335 convertible and a 2007 X5 V6. So far this year she's spent $4,500 on the X5 with 40k miles, right out of warranty and the 335 is just running out of warranty...she's shopping to replace it.

Staggering.
Old 10-16-13, 01:52 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

German cars are just more expensive to maintain period even if nothing goes wrong. Parts are crazy expensive and most third party shops are not equipped to handle their specialize tooling and computers. Which is why the resale value on them sucks the big one.

But people love them, especially the critics who don't have to live with the cars very long.

Quick Reply: Why I Bought a Lexus