GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Teach me about leasing a car

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 09:25 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
IF you plan on purchasing the vehicle at end of lease...you can sometimes get better finance costs than actually financing. Look at it like a "loan" with a balloon payment. IF you understand the calculations of effective interest rates you CAN determine what your actual finance cost are...again...assuming you plan to purchase the car at the end of the lease. No excess miles penalty and no refurb/damage charge potential...IF you buy it.

Also, sometimes a manufacturer will have a special promotion on a lease program to sell a lot of vehicles...again if you have a full understanding of lease agreements so you do not enter into something you don't understand there may be occasion where a true lease (where you turn the car in at end of lease) still makes good sense.

BUT it is buyer beware...AND buyer be knowledgeable! Tom
My father did this on an ES300 before...he knew he wanted to buy the car at the end of the lease but could expand the terms where he could use little money up front (for the lease) and just build his funds to make a very low car note when time to purchase.

everyone's situation is different, but like Tom said...once you are knowledgable about the lease itself and how well it benefits you, you usually come out winning
Old 10-22-13, 10:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I totally agree with this. I never understood why would someone lease a car instead of buying it and selling it at the end by themselfs
here in cali, if you lease a car you only pay sales tax on the portion of the car that you lease, whereas if you buy, you pay sales tax on the full purchase price (and when you sell, you don't get sales tax credit). that can be a huge difference

and yes, everyone is different. like i said you have to smart with numbers and money and figure out what's better option for different situations. it's simply a false statement to say one is better / worse than the other because i have seen both ways. in short, i am not saying lease is the best option, but it's not the way to go always either
Old 10-22-13, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

It all depends on your situation. If you're going to trade the car anyways every 3 years or so, leasing can save you some money. If you write a vehicle off for business it makes it even more attractive. If you're planning on buying the car and keeping it, barring any sort of rebate or tax advantage you should probably just buy it from the get go.

My problem with people like Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman is that they preach a certain way of doing things for all people. That works for people in plain vanilla situations, but for those of us who are a little more sophisticated, a little more capable of making decisions for ourselves, and have situations that are a little more complex than somebody being paid a salary there are other options that work better.

For me, leasing saves me money.