GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Accident and body shop woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 10:57 PM
mvp2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should always go with top of the line body shops. I would not cut corners on a 2013 car priced well over 50 grand. Lesson learned you can always trade the car in but I would hate to drive a car that is poorly put together.

Originally Posted by rog1206
Hey fellow CL members,

On October 1st, I was involved in a car accident where my GS350 Fsport AWD was hit from the passenger side rear door while I was making a left turn. The street I was on is curved and by the time I was in middle of negotiating a turn, I failed to see the pick up truck flying around the corner at high speed. The impact was strong enough to cave in my rear passenger door, shatter the glass, and send the driver side rear sliding into a curb. When the wheel hit the curb, a chunk of the wheel broke off and some parts of my suspension were bent.

I was in a daze and the other driver seemed to be ok while both of us were able to move our cars off to a side street. I called the police and they asked if anyone was hurt or if our cars were blocking the road. When I said no, the dispatcher told me to deal with it amongst ourselves and our insurance companies. Wasn't sure who to call at that point so I decided to bring it to a shop I've used in the past to paint body kits for my previous cars. When the owner of the shop looked at the car, he said it would probably take 3-5 weeks depending on how soon the adjuster can come out and when he can get the parts.

The car sat in his lot for about 6 days before the first insurance adjuster came to inspect the car (Oct.7th). He wrote an estimate showing that both front and rear doors, both rear wheels needed to be replaced, and to cut the lower portion of the rear quarter panel. After he left, the owner of the shop said the adjuster missed quit a few items and that the whole rear quarter panel should be completely replaced (not cut off a portion of it and bondo it on) along with the B pillar since there was damage to that as well. The doors and quarter panel arrived on October 9th.

The 2nd adjuster came out on Oct. 14th and wrote up a supplement for the B pillar, rear passenger interior door panel, rear passenger glass, lower control arm, and some other small bits. These parts showed up on the 21st

I've been checking in almost every other day to see how the work was progressing but so far, it doesn't seem like he's done much;the rear passenger door, bumper, rear glass,both side skirts, and rear seat was removed about a couple weeks ago. His shop is pretty dusty and not very well organized. I voiced my concern to keep the interior covered so the dirt wouldn't get all over my interior so he wrapped up the front seats only.

Every time I call and leave a message, he doesn't return my calls and when I do see him when I drop in, he keeps saying that the work will start tomorrow(I think I've counted saying that about 12 times now) and that my car is "first in line" even though I see other customers cars being dropped off, repaired, picked up, after my car was towed there. What really pissed me off was when I dropped in earlier tonight and seeing the owner through the office window, he sent his receptionist out to tell me that he wasn't there. I guess the owner just got tired of seeing my face.

Sorry for the long essay and don't know if I'm just overreacting but any of you have any experiences with body shops when they took too long or you just felt like they were being flaky?

I miss my 4GS a lot.

-Rog