GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What was Lexus Thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 05:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Great car but out of all the new options in the '14,the power side fold mirrors is the only thing I'd love.
Old 11-30-13, 06:58 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most folks jumping on the band wagon who goes out buys the first year of a new generation often lucks out ..... sucks but its life ?? With each following year Lexus will add these on and improve on the vehicle so it'll still be marketable.

Im wondering if for 2015 the GS will have an option like the F Sport gauges on the 3IS which I think attracted a lot of buyers to the 3IS ??!! Once my lease is up on my current 3IS Im looking at the GS as a larger option in a couple years and expect all these improvements on the current generation
Old 11-30-13, 08:12 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyElaine
Most folks jumping on the band wagon who goes out buys the first year of a new generation often lucks out ..... sucks but its life ?? With each following year Lexus will add these on and improve on the vehicle so it'll still be marketable.

Im wondering if for 2015 the GS will have an option like the F Sport gauges on the 3IS which I think attracted a lot of buyers to the 3IS ??!! Once my lease is up on my current 3IS Im looking at the GS as a larger option in a couple years and expect all these improvements on the current generation
My guess is that the GS-FS gauges will not change. However, the GS-F will probably get the LFA / 3IS-FS gauges.
Old 11-30-13, 08:19 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And I'm still chapped Lexus hasn't put a bidet in anything yet
Old 11-30-13, 10:51 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
I'm sure you realized the GS350 did not have power folding mirrors before you bought it, especially since it seems to be very important to you. If that's the most important feature you want in a car, you can find others that have it, plus AWD, HUD, power trunk, DVD entertainment system, including the 2014 GS350. Maybe you should trade your GS on a 2016 Denali when your lease expires if you prefer it to your GS.
Sorry, you're right. I sounded a little wacky. I just bought a 2013 GS350 about a month ago. I made that decision knowing the 2014's would have those extras available. So I had that information to make an informed choice. Others, like yourself, didn't have that information when you made your decision, so now that the 2014 has additional desirable options, it can be disappointing. I had an LS with an 8 speed transmission, power trunk and power folding mirrors. I found the 8 speed transmission hunted for the right gear sometimes, wasn't always smooth and now having experienced the 6 speed, I like it much better. The other extras on the LS were nice, but they didn't make the car fun to drive.

So I guess when you asked "What was Lexus thinking", I believe their priority was to make the GS a world class competitor to the 5 series, A6 and E class from the standpoint of handling, ride quality, dependability, interior design, structural integrity and build quality from the get-go. Options could be added later.

Last edited by MikeP; 11-30-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-30-13, 10:57 AM
Joji
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
Sorry, you're right. I sounded a little wacky. I just bought a 2013 GS350 about a month ago. I made that decision knowing the 2014's would have those extras available. So I had that information to make an informed choice. Others, like yourself, didn't have that information when you made your decision, so now that the 2014 has additional desirable options, it can be disappointing. I had an LS with an 8 speed transmission, power trunk and power folding mirrors. I found the 8 speed transmission hunted for the right gear sometimes, wasn't always smooth and now having experienced the 5 speed, I like it much better. The other extras on the LS were nice, but they didn't make the car fun to drive.

So I guess when you asked "What was Lexus thinking", I believe their priority was to make the GS a world class competitor to the 5 series, A6 and E class from the standpoint of handling, ride quality, dependability, interior design, structural integrity and build quality from the get-go. Options could be added later.
Well said and totally agreed here

The other day i was showing my new car to the friends , who own BMW, and they were amazed by the quality of the car inside out
Old 11-30-13, 01:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
I still don't understand why the 2013 GS 350 did not come with power side mirrors, power trunk, etc. My wife's 2012 GMC Acadia Denali came with both of these features and heated and cooled perforated leather seats, Heads Up Display, NAV, DVD entertainment system, AWD, all the goodies. That's right---a 2012 GMC. And for only 50.9K (sticker). I was thinking of keeping this thing once my lease expires but not anymore. It's embarrassing, especially the lack of power folding mirrors in a 50K+ car.

What's up with Lexus? Oh well, my lease expires right around the same time the 2016s hit the showroom.
Dont forget no Foglights on the Fsport
No LED headlights
No 3D Nav View
Old 11-30-13, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Is it annoying the 2013 doesn't have those features? Sure. In a perfect world would I want them? Yes.

But anybody who says they're "embarrassed" because their car doesn't have power folding mirrors or a power closing trunk needs a reality check IMHO. If you think anybody is looking at you close your trunk or fold your mirrors in and laughing at you saying "Look at that dweeb!"...nobody cares.

The idea that these small features would overall make anybody's purchase decision, or sway their decision to trade a car vs keep a car is completely ludicrous to me. The fact that someone would be embarrassed by an incredible car like this that SO MANY people on earth would love to own and will never have the opportunity to have is just offensive IMHO.

Any comparison price vs features to a GMC Acadia is pointless since they are completely different cars in completely different segments service a completely different consumers. The Acadia is nice, but its not nearly as well build or as nicely appointed or finished as the GS.

If the only thing you wanted out of a car was gizmos and features you bought the wrong car. You should have bought a Hyundai Equus for $50-60k.

Anyways complaining now does no good. Lexus heard your complaints and added those features to the 2014. What else do you hope to accomplish?

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-30-13 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-30-13, 03:02 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

look at the bright side '13 GS owners, at least the powertrain stays the same, unlike the '06 to '07 transition.
Old 11-30-13, 03:10 PM
Rbradleysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
THIS
SERIOUSLY and being "embarrassed" about manually closing your mirrors or trunk is pathetic. I'm sure those starving children in Africa feel really awful for your plight

Get a grip. There are much more important things in this world
Old 11-30-13, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbradleysd
SERIOUSLY and being "embarrassed" about manually closing your mirrors or trunk is pathetic. I'm sure those starving children in Africa feel really awful for your plight

Get a grip. There are much more important things in this world
Seriously. This car costs more than the median household income in the US. Meaning over half the households in the US make less than this car costs in a year, and we're here saying that we're going to replace the car in 3 years with another car costing more than the median household income in the US because we have to fold our mirrors in and close our trunks ourselves? We all need to count our blessings once and a while I think.
Old 11-30-13, 04:05 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by my808lexus
I love my 2013 GS350 but like the OP, I'm beginning to be bothered by some missing features that is in my 3GS, which I have kept because of how much I still love the car (gf has it now). I am missing the power mirrors and power trunk like most people on here. But I am especially bothered that Lexus still uses regular bulbs instead of LED signals, especially on the >$50K GS. I noticed that even 20,000 Chryslers and other American car companies have these features.

I still love my GS, but faults are faults.
Exactly. I pay attention to every little detail and a 50k car not having LED signals and manual mirrors and trunk kinda bothers me. People thought i hated my car when i was complaining about it lol. I'm more upset about it bc the 3gs had it, how are you going to release a new model and take away features. or it could've been a marketing move, just to say "look the new 14's have power mirrors and trunk" similar to how apple tried to market their flash on the iPhone 4 when phones have had flashes for years

20k dodge cars have LED signals too

Last edited by Infamous3; 11-30-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-30-13, 04:08 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one more odd thing, how the '14 IS has LED headlights, but the GS doesnt. (i know you can get it with the GS luxury model), but the IS f-sport comes with LED's.
Old 11-30-13, 05:32 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
one more odd thing, how the '14 IS has LED headlights, but the GS doesnt. (i know you can get it with the GS luxury model), but the IS f-sport comes with LED's.
You can now get the LEDs with the luxury GS? Last week when I tried building one there was not such option listed anywhere. Maybe it's a regional thing again?
Old 11-30-13, 05:48 PM
herron1
Driver School Candidate

I truly love my LP 2013 GS without some of the options many complain about not having. My thought you can't miss what you never had.

Quick Reply: What was Lexus Thinking?