GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What was Lexus Thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
Exactly. I pay attention to every little detail and a 50k car not having LED signals and manual mirrors and trunk kinda bothers me.
Then why did you buy the car? Every manufacturer adopts technology at different rates. Lexus has not made the switch to LED turn signals yet. People were annoyed that the 4GS didn't have the power folding mirrors and power trunk, they added them for 2014. What more can they do?

LED signals are not necessarily better than incandescent signals. Its a choice of one technology over another.

You can exercise your desires with your wallet. There are vehicles that are this size and price point with LED signals, power folding mirrors and a power trunk. Complaining about it now doesn't do anything.

20k dodge cars have LED signals too
Which $20k Dodge car?
Old 11-30-13, 06:24 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

if you are embarrassed, it should be about the engine, which is the same as 2006, and while it was on Ward's best engine list from 2006-2009; sadly is no longer on that list.
Old 11-30-13, 07:29 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by herron1
I truly love my LP 2013 GS without some of the options many complain about not having. My thought you can't miss what you never had.
I've never had Kate Upton, but I damn sure miss it.
Old 11-30-13, 08:14 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by herron1
I truly love my LP 2013 GS without some of the options many complain about not having. My thought you can't miss what you never had.
Well said. I've had my '13 model for 17 months now and have enjoyed every minute of it. The owners of the '14 model will have theirs for a year before a major update takes place and it becomes obsolete.
Old 11-30-13, 08:46 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm not gonna lie when I switched from my 3GS to the 4GS I was disappointed about the power folding mirrors and soft close trunk. At this point though until the '14 GS features came out I truly forgot about those features so when they come out with a V8 or more power then I will switch to get those features. The engine note and feel of driving cancels those items as well as the cold weather.
Old 11-30-13, 11:18 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Then why did you buy the car? Every manufacturer adopts technology at different rates. Lexus has not made the switch to LED turn signals yet. People were annoyed that the 4GS didn't have the power folding mirrors and power trunk, they added them for 2014. What more can they do?

LED signals are not necessarily better than incandescent signals. Its a choice of one technology over another.

You can exercise your desires with your wallet. There are vehicles that are this size and price point with LED signals, power folding mirrors and a power trunk. Complaining about it now doesn't do anything.

Which $20k Dodge car?
because i liked the car and it stood out against its competitors. And yeah your right, again dude its not a big deal, it isn't even a problem, its just something consumers like myself wish lexus had added. and the chargers have LED turn signals and they start off at like 27k
Old 12-01-13, 03:04 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
if you are embarrassed, it should be about the engine, which is the same as 2006, and while it was on Ward's best engine list from 2006-2009; sadly is no longer on that list.
this is a serious realistic complaint. Maybe it was really ahead of its time who knows. Performance wise all lexus cars are lacking. They've made the jump and make cars that are neck and neck with other top competitors, now its time to focus on performance
Old 12-01-13, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
because i liked the car and it stood out against its competitors. And yeah your right, again dude its not a big deal, it isn't even a problem, its just something consumers like myself wish lexus had added. and the chargers have LED turn signals and they start off at like 27k
Then why harp on it over and over and over again? The 2013 is out of production, the 2014 has replaced it and it has a power trunk and power folding mirrors.

and the chargers have LED turn signals and they start off at like 27k
The only reason the Charger has LED turn signals in the rear is that they don't have a separate turn signal lamp, the brake lamp on the appropriate side blinks, and it has LED brake lamps. The front turn signals are incandescent. No Chrysler product with separate rear tail lamps has LED turn signals. My $40,000 Jeep doesn't have LED tail lamps or turn signals. The new 2014 Grand Cherokees have LED running lights in the rear, but incandescent brake lamps and turn signals. Then, the cheaper Cherokee has LED brake lights.

This inconsistency is not limited to Lexus.
Old 12-01-13, 09:59 AM
slowlane05
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question, I watched a video showing a 2014 without a power trunk. It was a walk around on YouTube, the guy said early model 14s don't have the power trunk. I personally don't care for a power trunk, but power mirrors are a nice amenity. Neither are deal breakers
Old 12-01-13, 06:31 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowlane05
Question, I watched a video showing a 2014 without a power trunk. It was a walk around on YouTube, the guy said early model 14s don't have the power trunk. I personally don't care for a power trunk, but power mirrors are a nice amenity. Neither are deal breakers
i dont think you can get the power trunk yet, a few '14 GS's at the local dealer did not have the power trunk option either.
Old 12-01-13, 06:45 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
i dont think you can get the power trunk yet, a few '14 GS's at the local dealer did not have the power trunk option either.
I'm thinking maybe its a standalone option. A few '14 owners have it on here and it was on the f-sport I saw at the auto show I went to a few weeks ago.
Old 12-02-13, 09:11 AM
5thavenue
Rookie

Originally Posted by yardie876
I'm thinking maybe its a standalone option. A few '14 owners have it on here and it was on the f-sport I saw at the auto show I went to a few weeks ago.
My custom order will have it when it arrives next month.

I think the option will be similar to HUD, where it will be really hard to find a dealer who will have one on the lot. Most people will probably custom order to receive it.
Old 12-02-13, 09:48 AM
Lexman19
Driver School Candidate

How long ago did you make the custom order? I have been told anything from 2 months to 5 months; did you go F Sport, Lux, etc? I was told they cannot give me an exact lease price when I order the car because no one knows the money factor in 2-5 months when the car arrives. Did you buy or lease? if bought, how did the price compare to invoice?
Old 12-02-13, 05:39 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5thavenue
My custom order will have it when it arrives next month.

I think the option will be similar to HUD, where it will be really hard to find a dealer who will have one on the lot. Most people will probably custom order to receive it.
My wife's 2012 Acadia Denali has HUD. I think it's great. You can program it to display tach and/or radio station, and some other stuff, in addition to digital speed. When I drive it, I never look at the dashboard. It feels weird to have to lower my eyes to the dashboard to check my speed etc. when driving my 4GS.
Old 12-02-13, 06:19 PM
5thavenue
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexman19
How long ago did you make the custom order? I have been told anything from 2 months to 5 months; did you go F Sport, Lux, etc? I was told they cannot give me an exact lease price when I order the car because no one knows the money factor in 2-5 months when the car arrives. Did you buy or lease? if bought, how did the price compare to invoice?
This is actually my second order.
I put in my first custom order on September 29th and the due date was December 11th.
The dealer ended up making me pretty mad so I walked away and found another dealer (which was a cheaper and much better experience).
I put in my 2nd order about a month ago so I'm estimating another 2.5 month wait so either end of January or beginning of February.
I got a Luxury RWD model.
Blind spot, nav, mark lev., park assist, power trunk, cold weather.
I'm buying the car.
I had a couple of dealerships offer me $3,500 off so I picked the one with the lowest dealership fee.

Quick Reply: What was Lexus Thinking?