GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Test drove it last night, brought it home tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 09:23 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Congratulations! And, welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 12-06-13, 09:43 AM
DB22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at the F Sport twice now but two different salesmen have not indicated to me that they have a clue about cars yet alone the GS.
I am still checking the RLX, E350, 535, A6, CTS and the GS. So far the GS is in the lead but the RLX Hybrid has some great features. When I ask a salesman, they do not know how to answer and just tell me to follow him to his computer. Last night I asked if the GS had LED headlights and the guy just kept asking me if I meant HID.
Old 12-06-13, 01:44 PM
DonOH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The car next to it is a C6 Corvette. You guys call yourselves car guys?!?
LOL ! Yes, that is a 2009 C6 coupe with a six speed stick. It is dark gray metallic with chromed wheels. I think it complements well the silver FSport with dark gray wheels. When I bought that car for me, my wife was quite surprised. No, not a mid-life crisis. I rode in a buddy's 1967, hated it but was intrigued by having a high torque toy. Sort of a symbolic buy. Prior year (2010) my father died on my birthday. After I settled the estate in 2011, I decided he could buy me that to make up for dying when he did. I know it would bring a big smile to his face to say he bought his son a Corvette even though he was not a car guy. He favored Caddy Fleetwood Broughams himself.

Wife is not a car person. She hates car shopping. Her idea of a testdrive is to see how far back the passenger seat reclines. I bought it, brought it home and she saw it for the first time. She can't drive anymore because of vision problems.

This was a no-hassle purchase. Love this guy. He sold me my ES350. Told him I wanted to test drive a GS. He is sales manager now and got me a salesman to ride with me. After that, we sat down. Asked him how much. He brought out his inventory sheets, showed me MSRP and invoice. Said he was asking for invoice plus $500, then less the $3,500 Lexus to dealer incentive. Next day I told him that was OK but I also wanted Remote Start, Winter Floor Mats and asked what the Flat Tire Repair kit was. He threw in all three for nothing additional. Excluding test drives, probably not more than half an hour total with him including chatting. Absolutely no bull**** from him. Could I argue for more? Maybe, don't care, I was happy with the price.

Why the FSport?
1. I'm not buying German again. I've had a Mercedes and an Audi. Great cars to drive and best seats IMO in the industry. HATE the maintenance and repair bills. The 'what breaks next' mentality. Rode in neighbor's E class; surprised how tight back seat was. Sister-in-law has new S class; beautiful car but $$$ (and her last one died in Alabama on drive from TX to FL and took forever to fix. Leased car so new not ancient). Jaguar XF is nice up front, back is tight and, sorry, but I don't trust it for reliability.
2. Saw the Acura RLX at last February's car show. Too close to Accord. Interior did nothing for me, though it was off-white and I don't think that shows well.
3. I'm sure the new CTS VSport is very nice but not in the mood to drop that much money on a Caddy (just me, I'd love to ride in one if anyone here gets one.) Don't like the gloss black dash.
4. Test drove M37x. Loved the interior at the car show. Great price. Lots of good features. Technically the worst point is you can't reach the seat controls easily with door shut. Subjectively, it was alike a date with your sister; all the right parts but nothing exciting. I tried to like it. Drives 'big'. Nice power though. Didn't find a color that I really liked on the car. New Q50 is too small.
5. I have a 2008 ES350. Loved that styling. The new ES (just my opinion and I don't mean to offend) but the styling looks bloated. Too many bulging lines. Don't like it all.
6. a. Drove a Luxury GS. Drove nice, but don't need the backseat doodads. To my surprise, I didn't like the seats. The base cushion felt too flat and the extender peaked too high and cut into my legs. Maybe just that car but I wasn't comfortable.
6. b. Sat in the regular GS. Seat base too short. I love the cushion extender in my ES350 Premium Plus.
6. c. Drove the FSport. That seat fit great. The bolsters really snugged you in but you can adjust so they aren't eating you alive. (Sit in a Viper some time and then try to get out.) There is a firmness to the ride that is very intoxicating to drive; more Euro feeling and less traditional Lexus. I also liked the striated aluminum on dash, quality look to me. Love the exhaust sound. Handled well.

Today, took boss on half hour trip to subsidiary for lunch. I liked the car even more; great power (for a six), rode really nice, stereo (base) is fine. Back seat with 4 adults is a bit tight on legroom (tough; I'm not buying an LS just for them). I am very pleased with this car and looking forward to long trips in it.

Seems like a good group here. Looking forward to being in it.

This is the Vette.
Attached Thumbnails Test drove it last night, brought it home tonight-vette-right_front_corner.jpg  
Old 12-08-13, 10:02 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DonOH
Tonight I picked up a 2013 Liquid Platinum FSport with black interior.

My daughter's Acura died when she was driving back to school on Sunday, so I let her take my 2008 ES350 to school while I looked for a another car for her. Eventually we decided she could keep the ES and I'd get another car. Drove the M37x and while it was a good car, it was like a date with your sister … all the right parts but nothing exciting about it.

Last night on the way home from work, I stopped at my Lexus dealer, test drove a Luxury GS350AWD and then an FSport AWD. LOVED the FSport ! The way it drove, the seats, the looks. Just an exciting car. Went back at lunch today and did the deal.

After work, the salesman picked me up, brought me to the dealer, did the paperwork and I drove home (only stopping at one buddy's house to show it to him).

Only picture is it home in the garage, but everyone here knows what they look like anyway.

Had dinner, then joined Club Lexus.
I found the quote comparing the M37 to dating your sister extremely funny yet perceptive at the same time. Exactly what I felt after test driving the M37S.