GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS F Sport AWD vs RWD differences

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 08:17 AM
slowlane05
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GS F Sport AWD vs RWD differences

So I'm doing some reading, and based on Lexus' website, the AWD version does not have the front 14 inch 4 piston calipers, they have a 13.1 inch 2 piston caliper.

The rims aren't staggered on the AWD, they're 19x8 all around.

No variable steering

No rear-wheel steering

Top speed 131 vs RWD of 144

6 speed transmission in the AWD vs 8 speed in the RWD

Just some of the differences I picked up while researching. I was actually looking to see what tires came on the AWD and that's when I noticed these differences. Doubt anyone cares since I believe most have the AWD version. Just seems that most salespersons weren't aware of these differences.
Old 12-10-13, 09:33 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by slowlane05
So I'm doing some reading, and based on Lexus' website, the AWD version does not have the front 14 inch 4 piston calipers, they have a 13.1 inch 2 piston caliper.

No variable steering

No rear-wheel steering

Just some of the differences I picked up while researching. I was actually looking to see what tires came on the AWD and that's when I noticed these differences. Doubt anyone cares since I believe most have the AWD version. Just seems that most salespersons weren't aware of these differences.
I think most out here have the RWD one. We don't have much varying types of weather out here so AWD isn't necessary, and we can benefit from the additional handling upgrades. If you can love without AWD, then go for RWD. Definitely more fun to drive.

For some reason, I feel like Lexus doesn't train their salespersons very well. They are very nice, but they seem to lack knowledge about the cars they sell. I usually know more than them, and it's not even my job to.
Old 12-10-13, 09:38 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

No variable steering

No rear-wheel steering

RWD in snow isnt that bad, you have to be more cautious but thats about it. I have AWD and wanted RWD but the wait time would have been to long. Like dchar said if you can live with it I would go with the RWD vs the AWD.
Old 12-10-13, 10:13 AM
slowlane05
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dchar
I think most out here have the RWD one. We don't have much varying types of weather out here so AWD isn't necessary, and we can benefit from the additional handling upgrades. If you can love without AWD, then go for RWD. Definitely more fun to drive. For some reason, I feel like Lexus doesn't train their salespersons very well. They are very nice, but they seem to lack knowledge about the cars they sell. I usually know more than them, and it's not even my job to.
Agreed. Those details don't make or break a deal for me, just pointing them out really. Of all the cars I've bought, I've yet to meet a salesperson who knew as much about the car as I have. I happen to do a ton of research before I waste anyone's time though.
Old 12-10-13, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I personally would have preferred the RWD because with the Jeep we don't need to drive the Lexus in snow. But whats available will depend on region. Anywhere they may possibly get snow AWD is all they stock, so RWD will be a special order.
Old 12-10-13, 02:35 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. Those details don't make or break a deal for me, just pointing them out really. Of all the cars I've bought, I've yet to meet a salesperson who knew as much about the car as I have. I happen to do a ton of research before I waste anyone's time though.
I have yet to find a car salesman at any company or dealership that knew more then i did about the car i was interested in buying. The techs on the other hand are a different story...some of the guys at Lexus of Route 10 in North Jersey are pretty ****ing impressive....

I have both an AWD GS and RWD IS and i will piggyback on what others have said....the rear wheel is a bit more fun to drive. If you can live without AWD opt for the Rear Wheel. Although i will say in sport + mode the 6 speed transmission feels more aggressive then the 8 speed does. The 8 feels more refined and shifts are almost unnoticeable. Either way the car is satisfying in both trims.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 12-10-13 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 03:11 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT

I have both an AWD GS and RWD IS and i will piggyback on what others have said....the rear wheel is a bit more fun to drive. If you can live without AWD opt for the Rear Wheel. Although i will say in sport + mode the 6 speed transmission feels more aggressive then the 8 speed does. The 8 feels more refined and shifts are almost unnoticeable. Either way the car is satisfying in both trims.
which do you like better the IS or the GS...
I tried "squeezing" into an IS at the dealer last week holy cow compared to the GS its small! And i'm not a large person
Old 12-10-13, 03:26 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by puckhead85
which do you like better the IS or the GS...
I tried "squeezing" into an IS at the dealer last week holy cow compared to the GS its small! And i'm not a large person
I have been thinking about this a lot lately and the answer is that i like them both for different reasons. The GS is the better daily driver and much more comfortable to get in and out of but in all honesty it feels like an SUV compared to the IS. The F sport seats in the IS sit much lower in the car a lot like my Porsche Turbo seats felt. So the IS is a great weekend car and tons of fun but the GS is the car i like more for everyday driving. They truly feel like different cars with completely different purposes to me (maybe that is due somewhat to the awd vs rwd) and for that reason i don't regret leasing both of them (even though my friends think its preposterous)

P.S. i am only 5'8" so my head has plenty of room in both.
Old 12-10-13, 04:35 PM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I have been thinking about this a lot lately and the answer is that i like them both for different reasons. The GS is the better daily driver and much more comfortable to get in and out of but in all honesty it feels like an SUV compared to the IS. The F sport seats in the IS sit much lower in the car a lot like my Porsche Turbo seats felt. So the IS is a great weekend car and tons of fun but the GS is the car i like more for everyday driving. They truly feel like different cars with completely different purposes to me (maybe that is due somewhat to the awd vs rwd) and for that reason i don't regret leasing both of them (even though my friends think its preposterous)

P.S. i am only 5'8" so my head has plenty of room in both.
I drove an ISF for 4 and a half years as a DD and just moved into a 14 GS F Sport. The GS blows away the ISF for comfort and daily driving. The ISF is much more fun, but the F is NOT your normally aspirated IS.

My wife drives a 14 IS 250 F Sport. I could never go back to an IS after driving a GS.
Old 12-10-13, 07:22 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just survived a terrible ice storm here in Texas in a RWD GS. For states that rarely see weather like this, get the RWD model. Up north, northeast, or in the rockies, AWD is a given requirement.

Bottom line, it's not a Lancer Evolution or a WRX STi with AWD to provide amazing grip, it's there for buyers that have an extra set of rims in the garage with Blizzaks mounted to them. Otherwise, AWD is just drivetrain loss and the front/rear bias never goes 100% rear, so it's not as sporty.