GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Winter So Messy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 07:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by jam33
I needed my deicer the other night, but didn't know how to turn it on. It turns on through the climate controls on the Nav screen.

My question is why are the heating elements below the wipers when they're in snow mode?

While driving in the snow the other night my wipers were frozen and not clearing the windshield very well.
otherwise the heating elements would be running across the bottom of the visible area of the windshield. I think the idea is when the car is equipped with the deicer you don't need to put the wipers in snow mode.
Old 12-19-13, 05:34 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried using the heating element in this area of the windshield?
I have and it does over time reduce some ice build-up, but in heavy snow conditions the rate at which the flakes fall is just too great. The one suggestion is to operate the front defogger manually, either exclusively or selecting the front defogger and foot setting.

The problem I have is that snow collects and builds up in the wiper well, melts, re-freezes and builds up and impairs the wiper action. It is best to stop and manually clear the ice in the wells. One of the few manual interventions this car requires while driving it. :-)
Old 12-19-13, 06:25 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dagwag77
There is a windshield wiper deicer which is in addition to the defroster blower - its part of the cold weather package:

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Comes in the cold weather package, itl has heating elements that run through the bottom area of the windshield where the wipers sit.

I've attached the page from the manual
Lol didn't even know I had that, Gonna look at it today though.
Old 12-19-13, 08:04 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the wiper deicer on during this mess. It could not keep up with the falling snow so it was useless. So far, it's the only aspect of the car I find unimpressive so I'll take it.

I do love how quickly the steering wheel heats up and the auto seat warmers is nice. It manages the temperature nicely on auto. Set and forget.
Old 12-19-13, 09:01 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Flying3
I had the wiper deicer on during this mess. It could not keep up with the falling snow so it was useless. So far, it's the only aspect of the car I find unimpressive so I'll take it.

I do love how quickly the steering wheel heats up and the auto seat warmers is nice. It manages the temperature nicely on auto. Set and forget.
Yeah noticed that with steering wheel, It puts the seat warmers are full heat then goes back to original setting first time I noticed that.
Old 12-19-13, 09:46 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Does anyone use the Snow transmission setting in the snow. I was told that it started the car in 2nd. I have used it, need all the help I can get in heavy downfalls, and do not notice it but I do not spin any wheels at intersections.

I wonder if the Snow setting sets the car in second for slow, icy, long incline, as well?
Old 12-19-13, 09:52 AM
axiom00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
Does anyone use the Snow transmission setting in the snow. I was told that it started the car in 2nd. I have used it, need all the help I can get in heavy downfalls, and do not notice it but I do not spin any wheels at intersections.

I wonder if the Snow setting sets the car in second for slow, icy, long incline, as well?
I put it in Snow Mode when there's 2-3 inches of snow. Snow Mode will split torque 50/50 to the front and rear. I find that it helps keep the rear from stepping out when you're on the throttle hard.
Old 12-19-13, 10:03 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Thanks Axiom, that makes perfect sense.

2-3 inches of snow
Could not help but get a chuckle from that. The Toronto area nearly screeches to a halt with that amount of snow. Toronto is the most un-Canadian city, because it takes 2 or 3 feet to bring other cities to a halt.
Old 12-19-13, 10:43 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yeah I see your in GA nice and sunny your car must love it there.
yes, but the down side is the damn bugs that commit suicide and splatter all over my front windows and bumper and mirrors.:thumbed: almost forgot the road kill that has to be dodged every 1/4 mile... deer, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, possum.
Old 12-19-13, 10:50 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying3

the wiper deicer is only meant for the bottom third of the windshield, it keeps your wipers from icing up. normally you'd use it when you get in the car and ice has built up around or on you WW, turn it on to melt the ice. i don't see any use for it while driving.
Old 12-19-13, 01:14 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

you'd use it when you get in the car and ice has built up around or on you WW
The WW deicer may work when a there is a light amount of ice or snow adhering to the wipers. When there is a storm and you need it, it is not effective enough.
Old 12-19-13, 02:44 PM
GM11
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I do use it in snow and have to admit sometimes even on a cold icy morning as well around mid town. I like the feel of the extra power going to the front wheels, and the car feels more planted that way to me even though it's not that manly driving around in granny mode.
Old 12-19-13, 05:13 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

I do use it in snow and have to admit sometimes even on a cold icy morning
Yep, I rely on that button more often than I care to admit. It is a handy little override.
Old 12-19-13, 07:36 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We had an ice storm here in Dallas 2 weeks ago, and I drove my RWD GS350 through some of it. I put it in SNOW mode and drove really slowly but I made it. I did have trouble getting up our sloped driveway which was totally iced over. Not a great car for snow. I'm sure the AWD is better.
Old 12-20-13, 03:54 AM
bigblack06

Yep I used it for the past storm we had, as others have said it helps make the car feel planted. Feels better driving with it.

Quick Reply: Winter So Messy!