2CH Dashboard Camera - Help in hardwiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 11:47 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2CH Dashboard Camera - Help in hardwiring

Guys,

I just purchased this (http://www.gooddigitalshop.com/irive...cable-set.html) and plan on hardwiring. Wanted to check if what I'm doing is at all possible. I am also soliciting for some advice.

FRONT CAMERA: Place the camera by the rearview mirror and the wires will be hidden through the headliner by the front window then continue to run them through A pillar to the driver side fuse box.

- Is there a room to hide the wires on the headliner and what would be the best way to hide them?
- How to pop open the A pillar? Are there sensors (e.g. airbag sensor) that I should be aware of?
- Where is the closet ground hook up? I know grounds for most cars located at the side panel on a dashboard.
- since the camera will need a constant low voltage, I'll need to find a fuse that will give proper power even when the car is shut down. Which fuse(s) are safe to use?
- Alternate: it comes with the cigarette jack, but our jack doesn't give power when shut down. Is there a way to alter so that the jack gives power even when the car is shut down?

REAR CAMERA: Place the came in the middle of the rear window (clearance permitting) and run the wires through the headliner and continue to run them through to the front driver side fuse box. I found places throughout the driver side of the car where I can easily hide the wires (e.g. between the rear car seat and the body, the plastic trim panel that holds the door sill, etc...) The rear side should be easy.

I'll post some pictures after I'm done and a write up.

Last edited by sgmstr; 01-07-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-07-14, 11:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

heres a guide someone made on the 3IS forum, should be pretty similar to 4GS and should answer most questions. He didnt use an always on fuse so not sure which one would be always on. He used a bolt that holds the fuse box to the body as the ground.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html
Old 01-07-14, 02:24 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
heres a guide someone made on the 3IS forum, should be pretty similar to 4GS and should answer most questions. He didnt use an always on fuse so not sure which one would be always on. He used a bolt that holds the fuse box to the body as the ground.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html
good to know. Thanks. this helps a lot. this is what i thought, but running the wires at the bottom of the car (for the wires from rear to front) seems more reasonable for the GS (running the by the plastic covers that holds the door sill). We'll see.

taking out the a pillar cover seems to be easy and it would be just a matter of popping out the side dash then the a pillar.

I am worried about two things.

When running the wires through inside the a pillar, should i run them in front of the pillar (i.e. running it between the airbag and the front window so it doesn't affect the airbag operation god forbid if this happens) or would it be ok run them between the airbag and the front door?

I also see a gap between the black rubber weather stripping and the a pillar and it's big enough to run the wires there instead of running it inside the a pillar and risk damaging airbag or airbag not being able to deploy correctly. this way, the wires will be exposed when they run from the headliner to the rubber weather stripping, but it doesn't require messing with the pillar and the airbag in it. Also, it's much easier to do.

ground i understand. How about the fuses? does anyone know the safest fuses to use for both the black and red wires that will give constant power even with engine shut off? again, do not want the wiring of the camera to get in the way of other equipment properly functioning.

This is a leased vehicle by the way.