GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Impressed with the 4GS AWD in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 07:58 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by NobodyHere
Well I picked up the GS Thursday night. I drove the car no more than 50 feet after pulling out of the dealers lot and a drunk driver came barreling out of a side street right in front of me. Fortunately I saw him so I got out of the way. He crossed two lanes, the went back in the opposite direction crossing the lanes again and jumping the curb. Phone was dead so I couldn't call the cops. Then pulling up to my house two deer jumped out into the street... Interesting night. The memory of a test drive I took where I got hit so hard, while stopped making a left turn, that the airbags deployed and the salesman had to go to the hospital, were fresh in mind.
What is it with this car!? I've been hit 3 times since I bought this car 8 months ago.

Prior to owning this GS, I haven't been hit by anybody in any car in a long, long time. In fact, not counting the new GS (my first Lexus), I've been in 2 accidents in my entire life--been driving in this country and others for 25 years.

Second incident happened 13 years when I got hit from behind while my car was stopped in traffic with a truck a stopped behind me but a second truck slammed into him which pushed him into me (idiot at-fault driver admitted he had been pushing buttons on his phone!!!).

First incident was, I feel, my fault and resulted in me hitting a guard rail after hitting black ice midturn when I was 16.

In case you were wondering, the three incidents with the GS in the past 8 months were: (1) side swiped by a driver who was playing with his phone, (2) hit by a driver while I was stopped in traffic and going zero mph!!, and (3) hit by a driver who ran a red light.
Old 02-01-14, 10:14 PM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nismo
What is it with this car!? I've been hit 3 times since I bought this car 8 months ago.

Prior to owning this GS, I haven't been hit by anybody in any car in a long, long time. In fact, not counting the new GS (my first Lexus), I've been in 2 accidents in my entire life--been driving in this country and others for 25 years.

Second incident happened 13 years when I got hit from behind while my car was stopped in traffic with a truck a stopped behind me but a second truck slammed into him which pushed him into me (idiot at-fault driver admitted he had been pushing buttons on his phone!!!).

First incident was, I feel, my fault and resulted in me hitting a guard rail after hitting black ice midturn when I was 16.

In case you were wondering, the three incidents with the GS in the past 8 months were: (1) side swiped by a driver who was playing with his phone, (2) hit by a driver while I was stopped in traffic and going zero mph!!, and (3) hit by a driver who ran a red light.
In some cultures it would be concidered as the evil eye. Someones envy that is. Its the cars fault as you wrote:-)
Old 02-02-14, 11:47 AM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo

I was driving a Grand Prix GXP when I got hit on the test drive. I was going to buy the car I was driving, but that ended after it was hit. Had a Bonneville GXP that I named Christine after the movie. Wife got in an accident with that car and I truly believed it was cursed. I was trading that car in when I got hit. The Bonneville was sold to another person who also got hit in the car. Turns out dealer who sold the car to him never divulged that it was hit prior to the sale. Ended up testifying for the buyer in a court case. Yeah, that car was bad luck all the way around.
Old 02-02-14, 03:35 PM
GM11
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StlGasMan
I attached a clip from that video 17 seconds in. I don't know what tires they are using, but they aren't my Bridgestones.
They mentioned they are regular Pirelli winter tires
Old 02-03-14, 02:19 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vinodc
I actually live in SW Michigan....so I got a lot of lake effect snow! But PLEASE do share with me how those tires are doing for you. I actually called discount tire yesterday for winter tires, the guy said its so late in season, I believe he would only be able to get some yokohama winter tires, at around $250 a piece.
The Bridgestone LM-32 are fantastic winter tires for this car. I feel so secure now without ABS intervening and the traction light coming on. I can slow down faster and take turns smoothly without the back end sliding. The car is planted and grippy. Gas mileage has not changed much at all from the all seasons. The car is smooth on the highways like my all season primacy MXM4 tires and the handling is still top-notch. My GS is ready for any winter storm that comes this way. Blizzaks or nothing!
Old 02-03-14, 03:41 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 34 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, Rexus300, that's helping me decide what to get for next winter. I'm also looking at the Michelin Xi3, but that seems to be a bit more oriented towards severe snow and ice and less towards good dry/wet road performance in cold temps.
Old 02-03-14, 06:14 PM
DonOH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NobodyHere
This thread is depressing. Reading the beginning of this thread there were a number of comments about how good the GS was in the snow. That was the last piece I needed to know before pulling the trigger on the purchase. Did that, come back to this thread, find out the tires I got on the car are bad, the snow mode sucks, etc...While I have taken the car on 3 test drives, none of them were in the snow. Put money down, supposed to sign papers and pick up the car in the next two days. Performance in the snow is a requirement for me. No matter how much I like the GS on dry pavement, performance in the snow is a make it or break it part of the deal. Sorry for the rant, but beginning to question my decision.

I got my GS350AWD FSport in December and I love how it drives in the snow. This is the first time in a long while I've enjoyed driving in the snow. Never have an issue getting around, pulls me through whatever I want. I don't drive stupid into unplowed drifts but I live in Cleveland now and they don't' shovel the streets. I've had no issue going to work in the morning.

Still not sure what the "snow" button does besides retard acceleration (I think it is a placebo) but I use it anyway since I paid for it.

Best part, the heated steering wheel, that is great along with the heated seats. Guests like the big video screen.

I'm guessing you'll love it when you put hands on it.

Where in Ohio are you?
Old 02-03-14, 06:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by DonOH
Still not sure what the "snow" button does besides retard acceleration (I think it is a placebo) but I use it anyway since I paid for it.
Thats all it does. It does help reducing wheelspin from a stop.
Old 02-03-14, 06:51 PM
GM11
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Thats all it does. It does help reducing wheelspin from a stop.
In the AWD it also transfers the power to the wheels 50/50 rather than the default 30/70 front back? At least that is what I read and it feels that way to me.
Old 02-03-14, 07:16 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone venture out today? How'd your gs do in this heavy snow?
Old 02-03-14, 07:30 PM
axiom00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FishBike
I'm also looking at the Michelin Xi3, but that seems to be a bit more oriented towards severe snow and ice and less towards good dry/wet road performance in cold temps.
I got the X-Ice 3 mounted on my GS and also in Ontario, Mississauga/Oakville to be precise. With the winter we've been having, they performed amazingly. Car is stable and planted around corners, plenty of bite in fresh unplowed roads.
Old 02-03-14, 07:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by GM11
In the AWD it also transfers the power to the wheels 50/50 rather than the default 30/70 front back? At least that is what I read and it feels that way to me.
I don't believe so...

We just had rain luckily!
Old 02-03-14, 10:57 PM
PashaN
Driver School Candidate

Talking

here are couple of winter photos of my GS 350AWD on a ice/snow track )

About AWD button. it surely changes the torque transfer front/rear. without snow mode it was very hard to make the car turn. a lot of understeer. after turning snow mode on the car start to get into the corners really well. I really love this car. it handles perfect. My laptime was very close to the time of mitsu Evo.
forgot to say- tires are nokian hakkapelita 8. studded

Old 02-04-14, 04:25 AM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Originally Posted by DonOH
I got my GS350AWD FSport in December and I love how it drives in the snow. This is the first time in a long while I've enjoyed driving in the snow. Never have an issue getting around, pulls me through whatever I want. I don't drive stupid into unplowed drifts but I live in Cleveland now and they don't' shovel the streets. I've had no issue going to work in the morning.

Best part, the heated steering wheel, that is great along with the heated seats. Guests like the big video screen.

I'm guessing you'll love it when you put hands on it.

Where in Ohio are you?
Agree on the heated steering wheel! I will never order a car without it. Amazing how much of a difference it makes. I'm in Columbus, and we are about to get 6 - 10 inches of snow this evening.
Old 02-04-14, 04:29 AM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Originally Posted by GM11
I asked the dealer about this as I thought the same thing. They said it doesn't change the power to the wheels. Have you found anything from Toyota that says it does that? I'd like to believe it, but haven't been able to find anything that says it functions that way.

Quick Reply: Impressed with the 4GS AWD in the snow...