GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why is the leather in my GS350 F-Sport so stiff

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14 | 04:22 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Leather is a natural product guys
In many top grain leather sofas sitting in our living and family rooms you can find abrasions and scars the cattle incurred when alive and walking around. Absolutely right SW13GS, that is what is so attractive about real leather.

Although I have not found any cow scars in the GS as yet.
Old 01-27-14 | 06:34 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I did not refer in my comparison that I had BMW leatherette… I had Nappa leather on my 5 series prior to getting this 2013 GS F-Sport so I know what i had. I own a loaded A8L with premium leather also. I am making the comparison base on my ownerships of these cars.
You're still wide of the mark.

While you said nothing of Leatherette, you also said nothing of Nappa. Furthermore, BMW Nappa can vary substantially from model to model and from year to year. BMW's top-grade leathers (Merino and Novillo) are without exception supple and possess "hands" beyond anything available in ANY Lexus vehicle. BMW's mid-grade leathers have substantial variability model-to-model; I have seen Dakotas and Bostons that were almost as supple as anything Lexus has ever produced. You unfairly characterized BMW leathers as monolithically stiff and uncomfortable. Nothing could be further from the truth and you should be man enough to admit it.
Old 01-27-14 | 06:40 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe
You're still wide of the mark.

While you said nothing of Leatherette, you also said nothing of Nappa. Furthermore, BMW Nappa can vary substantially from model to model and from year to year. BMW's top-grade leathers (Merino and Novillo) are without exception supple and possess "hands" beyond anything available in ANY Lexus vehicle. BMW's mid-grade leathers have substantial variability model-to-model; I have seen Dakotas and Bostons that were almost as supple as anything Lexus has ever produced. You unfairly characterized BMW leathers as monolithically stiff and uncomfortable. Nothing could be further from the truth and you should be man enough to admit it.
I didn't intend to bash BMW… Anyways guys, the Lexus GS has great leather and we should be happy about it. Make sure you keep it clean and condition it routinely.
Old 01-27-14 | 06:48 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Thank you. I also enjoy Lexus leather.
Old 01-27-14 | 06:55 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Look up Leatherique.

Amazon.com: Leatherique 16oz. Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Leatherique 16oz. Kit: Automotive

I started using this two years ago on my LS430 and it has kept the leather looking brand new and supple. You apply the oil by hand, let everything sit in the sun for 4-8 hours, and then spray on the cleaner.

It's the best leather stuff I've ever used.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 01-27-14 | 08:39 PM
oaklander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Look up Leatherique.

Amazon.com: Leatherique 16oz. Kit: Automotive

I started using this two years ago on my LS430 and it has kept the leather looking brand new and supple. You apply the oil by hand, let everything sit in the sun for 4-8 hours, and then spray on the cleaner.

It's the best leather stuff I've ever used.
I might have to try that. I've had a wide range of cars, most of which people have already mentioned. I am familiar with the BMW Nappa leather from my previous 750Li, it was nice. my previous Acura TL has Milano leather, that was soft.

I also had an Audi S8, it was a 2011, and that too had good leather. However, I've had some cars with not so good leather seats.

BMW 5er w/ Dakota leather, Mercedes S550, and finally my GS-FSport.

Im ok with seeing leather creases and wear, that's the problem, I don't see it on my current Lexus, hence I think its really leatherette just like a base model 3 series.
Old 01-27-14 | 09:51 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Leather is a natural product guys...as you get in and out of the seats there is going to be creasing and wear. I don't see anything there that looks unusual to me.
i'm not surprised it happens... I get it. But with only 5,000 miles and it looks like I had it a few years. I'm scared to think what it will look like in 3 years.. no less 8 as I buy my cars and don't lease/finance..
Old 01-28-14 | 06:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by puckhead85
i'm not surprised it happens... I get it. But with only 5,000 miles and it looks like I had it a few years. I'm scared to think what it will look like in 3 years.. no less 8 as I buy my cars and don't lease/finance..
If you clean and condition it, it will look better. Mine is 14 months and 18,000 miles, my leather is flaxen which is harder to care for and it looks great.

You should clean/condition it every few months.

It's painful when a brand new car starts to wear and age, but it is what it is.
Old 01-28-14 | 10:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

the softer (better?) the leather the easier you get wrinkles anyway. try the semi aniline leather from lexus. had that in my ls460l (vs regular leather on my gs350) and that was a pain to keep "new"
Old 01-31-14 | 11:48 AM
Neogenic
Driver

I took some pics, 28000 km. I think it looks as good as it was when out from the dealer,

http://flic.kr/ps/2LwfTH
Old 01-31-14 | 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Weird to see the cream color, we do t have that in the US.
Old 01-31-14 | 02:28 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Weird to see the cream color, we do t have that in the US.
Same here. I did a double take. I wonder why it isn't offered over here.
Old 01-31-14 | 05:35 PM
sirsaula
Driver School Candidate

Leather in the F Sport looks good to me then again I don'treally know anything about leather lol.
Old 01-31-14 | 07:57 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

My Cabernet leather in my F Sport still looks good after 14,000 miles and almost 2 years. I use Lexol on it ever other week. It has a few creases on the side where I enter and exit the car, but that's to be expected. If I wanted something with no character lines that stayed perfect I'd buy an IS F Sport with Nuluxe.

Maybe the softer leather in the Luxury package tends to crease more. The leather in my '99 SC300 was really soft and it looked like a spider web it had so many creases. Even the perforated leather in the middle had creases.

Here's a good article on quality of leather and durability...

http://www.furnishconnection.com/advice_leather.asp

Last edited by dseag2; 01-31-14 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-01-14 | 02:39 AM
Neogenic
Driver

The critical choice is a good sealer to begin with before condition. I dont understand Lexus . We cant get RES+ In Europe. Its a very odd marketing methods.

Quick Reply: Why is the leather in my GS350 F-Sport so stiff