GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Faint tapping noise on driver side?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 04:17 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint tapping noise on driver side? (FIXED?)

I have been wind noise free on driver's side, which I am glad. But for last couple of weeks or so, I started hearing this faint plastic tapping noise that seemed to come from driver side area somewhere, towards the front door or instrument cluster area? It is so faint that it is hard to pin point where it could be coming from. Did or does anyone have similar plastic tapping noise? I really don't feel like taking interior parts apart to troubleshoot. I have about couple of thousand more miles until 5000 mile service so I guess I can ask the dealer but I am pretty sure they will just say they don't hear it, just like 99% of dealers out there.

Last edited by GS14AWD; 02-22-14 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-18-14, 04:42 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GS14AWD
I have been wind noise free on driver's side, which I am glad. But for last couple of weeks or so, I started hearing this faint plastic tapping noise that seemed to come from driver side area somewhere, towards the front door or instrument cluster area? It is so faint that it is hard to pin point where it could be coming from. Did or does anyone have similar plastic tapping noise? I really don't feel like taking interior parts apart to troubleshoot. I have about couple of thousand more miles until 5000 mile service so I guess I can ask the dealer but I am pretty sure they will just say they don't hear it, just like 99% of dealers out there.
On my first trip I have one noise, the seat belt adjuster but that would be by the ear not forward. All I needed to do was change the adjustmeent and it was gone.
Old 02-18-14, 09:09 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

I've had the same problem. Took it in to the dealer multiple times and they still can't figure it out. Still not fixed.
Old 02-19-14, 04:02 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Originally Posted by dchar
I've had the same problem. Took it in to the dealer multiple times and they still can't figure it out. Still not fixed.
Yup, that's what I imagined will happen when I take mine in. It will take some sort of hearing scope thing and a very willing dealer to find it. But for such faint noise, they will most likely just write it off.

My first Lexus which was IS300 when it first came out, it was completely noise free until the day I returned it. This GS has been dissapointing in that regard. I am hoping warmer weather will help as plastics expand...LOL...I sound like a wishful thinking owner of 10k domestic car.
Old 02-22-14, 05:52 PM
GS14AWD
Rookie

So today the plastic tapping noise was worse than before as the weather warmed up. That kinda took away my hope of hotter weather and plastic expanding to reduce this noise. So I took the matter into my own hands again (Like the whistling noise on driver's side window0.

In short, the hood release level is attached to a wire. And if you slightly tap this wire with your finger, you might notice that it is loose to the point where it can be tapping its surrounding. So I applied some felt and it has been noise free the rest of the day. Will be closely monitoring but if anyone else has weird plastic tapping kinda of noise, check your hood release wire. It runs in between hard plastics and if it is loose enough, it might be the culprit.
Old 02-22-14, 08:27 PM
msp713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So today the plastic tapping noise was worse than before as the weather warmed up. That kinda took away my hope of hotter weather and plastic expanding to reduce this noise. So I took the matter into my own hands again (Like the whistling noise on driver's side window0.

In short, the hood release level is attached to a wire. And if you slightly tap this wire with your finger, you might notice that it is loose to the point where it can be tapping its surrounding. So I applied some felt and it has been noise free the rest of the day. Will be closely monitoring but if anyone else has weird plastic tapping kinda of noise, check your hood release wire. It runs in between hard plastics and if it is loose enough, it might be the culprit.
Thanks for the tip. I'm just over 4000 miles on my '14 GS and have been noticing some similar sounds from the lower part of the driver side too. I'll try to play around with it tomorrow to see if it improves...if I don't play music, the sound kinda drives me nuts
Old 02-23-14, 06:18 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks bro. I haven't complained to the dealer yet because it was only cracking when it was cold, but now it has warmed up and it's still ticking in front of me somewhere. Got a rattle in the passenger area too. I'll check that hood release cable and see if it's the source of the noise.
Old 02-24-14, 03:43 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

So after I got the tapping noise from hood release metal cable against hard plastic addressed, I heard another slight plastic tapping noise right around instrument cluster, this one was even more faint than the other, only came very occasionally. I pulled the surrounding trim (leather wrapped on plastic) around the instrument cluster, fairly easy to pull. I found two plastic clips that are kind of loose and could easily be the source of noise. I applied felt on all hard plastic contacts and no faint noises anywhere so far.

I am really hoping I won't have to pull any more interior parts apart, for goodness's sake, it only has 3000 miles on!

One thing I am starting to find is, how easy it is to pull interior parts apart on GS. They only need a bit of convincing and they would just pop right out. Is it engineering excellence or just flimsy? Other car's interior parts, I usually had to fight to get them apart, so this is a change.
Old 02-24-14, 04:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Toyota/Lexus interiors have always been fairly easy to take apart.