GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

PAYING MSRP for a special order?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 05:38 AM
TXfam1112
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAYING MSRP for a special order?

I have been to one of my local dealers a couple of times checking out a 2014 GS 350 F sport. I have asked all my questions, test drove the car, and I was at the point where I was ready to purchase. I went to the dealer, made sure this was the car I liked then I found out the color combination I want is not available. I want the deep sea mica exterior with the flaxen interior. The car had the ML radio and all the bells and whistles. So we discuss the process for the dealer to special order. They would need a 1K deposit to submit the order. Ok no problem. Then we discuss the total cost of the vehicle and I am told by the salesman that for any special order car the price is MSRP non negotiable. At this point I tell the salesman that is insane because they don't even pay MSRP for the car and I leave.

Now a few questions:

1. Is it true that a special order sells for MSRP typically?
2. If I were going to pay MSRP why wouldn't I just order the car online myself?
2. Since the deposit is refundable and the only reason the buyer is paying MSRP is because it is a special order then what would stop customers from leaving a deposit, making the special order then upon arrival of the car saying I changed my mind? At this point the car is on the dealers lot and they need to sale it so you or your spouse could essentially negotiate the price of the car for less than MSRP. I think that is bad business and I don't like to play games. I just ran across these scenarios in my head and something doesn't add up.

Can anyone offer any advice or tips? I am willing to travel to purchase the car also but it would be much more convenient to work with a local dealership.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-14, 05:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Special orders are usually discounted something with haggling with most dealers..A dealer would rather sell from stock,though.
I've never heard of special ordering online.
Try other dealers.
Old 02-19-14, 06:51 AM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What worked for me when I got mine is I decided on the color combine option package that I wanted. I looked on the internet around the country to find the car that I wanted. I walk in to the dealer pulled up the link and asked can they ‘acquire” that car. They made a few phone calls (I’m guessing to see how cheap they could “acquire” it from the other dealer). We negotiated a price less than MSRP. Still had to put down $1500 to show I wasn’t wasting there time. Worked for me, may work for you. I’m sure just about any dealer can “acquire” you a car if you find it, however like Joeb427 said, they do want to sell what is on their lot first if they can. Good Luck
Old 02-19-14, 07:48 AM
TXfam1112
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I currently own a BMW so I am not familiar with any Lexus policies but this just stuck out like a sore thumb. I guess the guy thought I had sucker written on my forehead. I am contacting other dealer not to see what they can do for me. *fingers crossed*
Old 02-19-14, 07:49 AM
TXfam1112
Driver School Candidate

Promethus7 if you wouldn't mind, with what dealership did you work?
Old 02-19-14, 07:59 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I special ordered mine... and got it below MSRP. Then again we have bought 4 other cars from the same dealer. which I think helped.
Old 02-19-14, 09:38 AM
dagwag77
Driver

The sales guy that I used told me that they'll negotiate a "$x over invoice" on special orders, he mentioned somewhere between $500-1000, but not sure how that would shake out and I'm not sure how much they can flex the invoice price on you. The exact price would be TBD upon delivery.
Old 02-19-14, 12:35 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have less leverage on dealer trades as mentioned above and special order, but no one ever pays MSRP whether special ordered or not.

A dealer just can't "acquire" a car from another dealer. It's all relationship based and dealers want to make money off of trades so you will have less leverage when purchasing a car that was traded. If both are in the same area where they compete they'll less likely trade cars as a customer wanting that car would just come to their dealer and purchase. I actually experienced this and was told this by an honest sales advisor.

I'm pretty sure a dealer in your area would have the option you would like. I would go to that dealer that has your car and deal there even if it's 100+ miles from your home as we're talking about saving thousands of $ here.
Old 02-19-14, 01:41 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Yeah, I can't imagine you have much negotiating room on special ordering a car. Especially if they have GS models sitting on their lot.

In my experience, my dealer has only had the car I wanted 1 time. They traded the other two times. Have you gone down that avenue?
Old 02-19-14, 04:52 PM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

TXFAM I sent you a PM
Old 02-19-14, 07:21 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

It's absolutely stupid to think they can't/won't discount an ordered car just as much. I can understand that he wants a non-refundable deposit to order an oddball car he does not want to get stuck with, but that has nothing to do with the selling price. It actually costs the dealer less money because you are going to pay for the car before the dealer has to pay Lexus. They have no floor plan interest on the car.
Old 02-19-14, 07:38 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

It goes against their allocation though.
Old 02-20-14, 08:12 AM
TXfam1112
Driver School Candidate

I found one dealer thus far that may have the car I am looking for, but I need to verify the details which I am in the process of doing that now. I keep most of my cars 10 years so I like to get exactly what I want. I am willing to search around and even go almost anywhere in the continental US to get the car. Honestly, when the salesman told me the price was a non negotiable MSRP for the special order it left a bad taste in my mouth. I figure he is busy and so I am. I want to save a some money and he wants to make a profit so why not meet somewhere in the middle. I write a check for the deposit and everyone go on about their day, but don't try to make a fool out of me.

I'm going to keep searching for the car and hopefully the pricing will work out.
Old 02-20-14, 09:23 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Why are you searching. Find another dealer. A dealer that really wants the sale will search for your car for you, before going to the hassle of special ordering it. Plus they can search much quicker.