GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Blackbox your car

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 04:27 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackbox your car

So I got this blackbox car dash dvr hooked up to my car.
http://lukasstore.com/lk7700pro.html

I got the same unit for $138, 8 gb model, free expedited shipping from South Korea, arrived to East Coast in a few days. I thought about splicing the power off interior dom lights but ran the wire around to the rear seat 12v source (at the center console). If anyone is wondering, GS has perfect places to run the wire from top of winshield, A piller, under glove compartment, between center console trims, and to the 12v source. I would think the same would apply to running a radar detector is anyone is into such thing. You can hide the wire completely, tucked away between trims and GS works really well for it. Yeah, GS! My other car, GLK was a bit harder to do the same because its interior trims are put together more tightly.
Old 02-20-14, 06:06 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Got any video of how the quality is.
Old 02-20-14, 11:53 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS14AWD
GS has perfect places to run the wire from top of winshield, A piller, under glove compartment, between center console trims, and to the 12v source.
How did you get it from pillar to under the glove compartment? Can't find any place in the trim to tuck the wiring into.
Old 02-21-14, 04:39 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Originally Posted by jj14
How did you get it from pillar to under the glove compartment? Can't find any place in the trim to tuck the wiring into.
I have to double check because I get confused with what I had to do for my wife's MB a few days ago. But I believe I ran it inside the a pillar trim (easy to pop it partially out), then in the weather strip after a pillar ends, then into the gap between steering column bottom plastics (towards brake & accel), then run it down center trim, then to rear 12v in rear.

I've not checked my video yet (except for a very short one when I first installed it) but I assume it will be similar to many YouTube videos on Lukas 7700 Pro.
Old 02-21-14, 05:15 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Thanks! I have to try that out. I didn't see the weatherstrip after the A pillar ends, so that part of the wiring would be exposed.
Old 02-21-14, 09:28 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread may help. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html
Old 02-21-14, 01:58 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sgmstr
wow - that was a detailed thread! Thanks. Should be similar for the GS too.
Old 02-21-14, 05:51 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

be careful when you pull the trim cover of the side dashboard. The clips are very fragile.
Old 02-25-14, 02:09 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

2 channel blackbox installed over the weekend. http://www.ebay.com/itm/iriver-X1000...-/261280143020 will post videos while driving and post pics.

You really do not need to partially remove the A pillar cover trim to run the wires to the headliner in case you do not want wires to interfere with the airbag operation in anyway. You need to slightly pull the a pillar trim cover away from the front windshield then push the wires in between the windshield and the a pillar trim cover so the wires will be tucked inside the a pillar cover trim. This, however, requires that you run your wires in between dashboard and the a pillar trim - the wires will be exposed here, but it looks fine as I was able to tuck them in tightly. Has anyone used this method and completely hide out the wires? I think you can pull the ac vent out and somehow run the wires inside the dash board.
Old 02-26-14, 04:04 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

This thing paid for itself already. Got pulled over doing 12mph over limit. Cop insisted that I was doing 25mph over limit. I told him that I had GPS device that records speed, time, and location so we would see. Cop seemed generally in good mood to begin with so he didn't give me any more trouble and let me go with a warning. I came home and checked the video and indeed, I was doing about 12mph over. All in all, I wouldn't say this thing saved the day because cop could've still given me a ticket. But I think it might have helped my case.
Old 02-26-14, 11:25 AM
stick22
Driver

anyone know a good installer in so cal for this?
Old 03-06-14, 10:46 PM
jboyd29
Driver School Candidate

This thing paid for itself already. Got pulled over doing 12mph over limit. Cop insisted that I was doing 25mph over limit. I told him that I had GPS device that records speed, time, and location so we would see. Cop seemed generally in good mood to begin with so he didn't give me any more trouble and let me go with a warning. I came home and checked the video and indeed, I was doing about 12mph over. All in all, I wouldn't say this thing saved the day because cop could've still given me a ticket. But I think it might have helped my case.
does this model have the gps speed already built in or do you have to subscribe to a service? i want to get one for my car but don't know much about the different models, any additional info would be great, thanks
Old 03-07-14, 03:46 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Originally Posted by jboyd29
does this model have the gps speed already built in or do you have to subscribe to a service? i want to get one for my car but don't know much about the different models, any additional info would be great, thanks
This is one of few that shows your GPS speed as you drive. When stopped, it can show only time, or date/time. Once moving, it starts to show your MPH. GPS is built into the model. It speaks one of 8 languages that ship with it.

During really cold morning, I've seen it taking it a bit longer to boot up. But other than that, it's been working flawlessly. For the price, it will be hard to beat. There are many other cheaper alternatives made in China but I wouldn't buy a Chinese electronic just yet, just my personal preference.
Old 03-07-14, 10:34 AM
jboyd29
Driver School Candidate

This is one of few that shows your GPS speed as you drive. When stopped, it can show only time, or date/time. Once moving, it starts to show your MPH. GPS is built into the model. It speaks one of 8 languages that ship with it.

During really cold morning, I've seen it taking it a bit longer to boot up. But other than that, it's been working flawlessly. For the price, it will be hard to beat. There are many other cheaper alternatives made in China but I wouldn't buy a Chinese electronic just yet, just my personal preference.
Thanks! I am either getting the 7700 or the 7900. do you have any opinion's? is it worth it to pay for the 64 or 128 memory card?
Old 03-07-14, 02:34 PM
ayoddOny
Rookie

How would i get front and back black box? I have to get two sets then?

Quick Reply: Blackbox your car