GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Does S+ mode equal quicker wear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14 | 12:49 PM
Polo708
Driver

Default Does S+ mode equal quicker wear?

Does driving in Sport + mode wear out your suspension/shocks quicker? Or is it just a firmer ride for the same amount of time the shocks would last anyways?
Old 03-12-14 | 01:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I mean, aggressive driving will cause quicker wear...

But...you bought the car to drive and enjoy...so drive it and enjoy it. Struts...I mean maybe at 150k+? Maybe using Sport + wears them out at 140k miles. Are you even going to have the car at that age?
Old 03-12-14 | 08:08 PM
Polo708
Driver

True True, thanks
Old 03-13-14 | 07:56 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

My biggest fear is that Sport + might lead to more rattles due to our potholed roads in Dallas, since the suspension is stiffer. No rattles so far, but I drive in Normal mode most often.
Old 03-13-14 | 09:39 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
My biggest fear is that Sport + might lead to more rattles due to our potholed roads in Dallas, since the suspension is stiffer. No rattles so far, but I drive in Normal mode most often.
I'm with you there. Even the freeways have random potholes that you never see coming. I'm a Sport mode guy, I don't trust most roads enough (except GB tollway, and even then, only in sections) to use full Sport+.
Old 03-13-14 | 10:10 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Man, you make Dallas sound like Iraq or something. Dallas has good roads. Try NJ or NY if you want to see some bad roads.
Old 03-14-14 | 09:14 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Polo708
Does driving in Sport + mode wear out your suspension/shocks quicker? Or is it just a firmer ride for the same amount of time the shocks would last anyways?
Short answer: No.

Engineering answer: Yes, but most probably hardly a difference. As I understand it, the Lexus system only adjusts the shock's damping (not spring rates), and it does so by varying the size of the orifice between the two chambers inside each shock. This is very similar to how most physically adjustable shock absorbers work (such as Tein's system, more info at http://www.tein.com/classroom/lesson_1.html). Magnetorheological shocks (like the kind used on the Cadillac CTS-V) operate by differing the kinematic viscosity of the fluid versus physically changing orifice size, but the end result is the same: increased pressure on the seals).

The periods of higher pressure inside the chambers (due to the smaller opening between the chambers when in Sport+) could potentially contribute to a greater wear of the seals. However, the overall difference in life of the shock is probably so small that you wouldn't care. I mean, if you want the sportier feel of 'tighter' shocks, then that's what you want, so drive in Sport+ mode and be happy! But if you are truly trying to maximize the life of your shock absorbers (and OMG why on earth would you care, but maybe) then keep it out of Sport+ mode.
Old 03-15-14 | 07:08 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I mean, aggressive driving will cause quicker wear...

But...you bought the car to drive and enjoy...so drive it and enjoy it. Struts...I mean maybe at 150k+? Maybe using Sport + wears them out at 140k miles. Are you even going to have the car at that age?
I kept my last '00 GS till 200K. I tend to keep my cars very long.
Old 03-15-14 | 08:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dougm213
I kept my last '00 GS till 200K. I tend to keep my cars very long.
Thats you, not the OP.
Old 03-15-14 | 11:24 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nismo
Short answer: No. Engineering answer: Yes, but most probably hardly a difference. As I understand it, the Lexus system only adjusts the shock's damping (not spring rates), and it does so by varying the size of the orifice between the two chambers inside each shock. This is very similar to how most physically adjustable shock absorbers work (such as Tein's system, more info at http://www.tein.com/classroom/lesson_1.html). Magnetorheological shocks (like the kind used on the Cadillac CTS-V) operate by differing the kinematic viscosity of the fluid versus physically changing orifice size, but the end result is the same: increased pressure on the seals). The periods of higher pressure inside the chambers (due to the smaller opening between the chambers when in Sport+) could potentially contribute to a greater wear of the seals. However, the overall difference in life of the shock is probably so small that you wouldn't care. I mean, if you want the sportier feel of 'tighter' shocks, then that's what you want, so drive in Sport+ mode and be happy! But if you are truly trying to maximize the life of your shock absorbers (and OMG why on earth would you care, but maybe) then keep it out of Sport+ mode.
You can actually hear the magnetorheological shocks engage/shift when you put the car in sport. Thought that was pretty odd.
Old 03-15-14 | 08:32 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmtamu
Man, you make Dallas sound like Iraq or something. Dallas has good roads. Try NJ or NY if you want to see some bad roads.
No, I'm not making Dallas sound like Iraq. I don't know what part you've visited, but I live in East Dallas and our roads are constantly being repaired. If you don't believe me, look at the fifth post in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ing-sound.html

I also moved to Dallas from Miami, so maybe that's why the roads seem rough.
Old 03-15-14 | 09:14 PM
HighMilage
Driver School Candidate

I second that, I had to take one of these through Jersey City and it felt like I was dodging land mines, I'd really love to see some state projects this summer to fix the roads that were already bad and made worse after this last winter.
Old 03-17-14 | 01:29 PM
Xclusive11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmtamu
LOL, you are so right, the roads in NY and NJ are nightmares....when you driving on those roads you felt like you riding on a donkey!
Old 03-19-14 | 12:32 PM
gangsta
Driver School Candidate

No, I'm not making Dallas sound like Iraq. I don't know what part you've visited, but I live in East Dallas and our roads are constantly being repaired. If you don't believe me, look at the fifth post in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ing-sound.html

I also moved to Dallas from Miami, so maybe that's why the roads seem rough.
Well, East Dallas explained it. I'm in north dallas. I have lived in Virginia for years and traveled through the entire east coast, they have **** roads compare to Dallas.
Old 03-24-14 | 07:31 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Yeah East Dallas makes a little more sense but still they aren't that bad. I live in North Dallas and driving there is like driving on a cloud compared to NY/NJ. I am in Queens on business right now and I swear if I had to live here I wouldn't even buy a nice car let alone put nice wheels and low-profile tires on it.

Quick Reply: Does S+ mode equal quicker wear?