GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Not given a Lexus loaner when taking my GS for service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 06:40 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, this thread quickly turned from something informative into a pissing match. The OP obviously got his answer and can move on from there.
Old 03-29-14, 07:44 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Chiming in here, came from an Infiniti and the Lexus dealer experience really kinda shocks me.

With my Infiniti, that I didn't even buy from the dealer I had it serviced at, no matter which model you own, they have a close match loaner for you. Example, you have a G37 coupe, you borrow a coupe. No matter what service I had them do (warranty or 25k or whatever), they always asked if I wanted a loaner, and always had one available. I don't know if this is corporate or dealership policy but I remember asking when I bought my GS how the loaners worked at the dealership.

The salesman said I would get a Lexus loaner. Not necessarily a GS, but a Lexus of some kind. That's acceptable to me, because it might be interesting to drive another model for a day or two, but if they threw me the keys to a Corolla I wouldn't catch them.

Expectations are everything. Infiniti had me expecting to always drive the newest version of whatever I owned, even if I was stopping by for a 2 hour oil change. Lexus has lowered my expectations somewhat, which I find odd. Now reading through this thread about BMW and Porsche dealers sending people home in Malibus, it makes me think I will never buy from those marques. Yes, I get it, Porsche can't have a big fleet of very expensive cars as loaners sitting around, particularly if their CPO market isn't hot, but at least throw someone a Boxster S or a Cayenne. Their margins suggest they can afford to provide for their customers' needs, unless they just assume everyone that drives a Porsche has three or four other cars to choose from.
Old 03-29-14, 09:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

In my experience it really depends more on the dealer itself than what brand it is...
Old 03-29-14, 10:42 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure what the problem is, just go to a dealer with a bigger loaner fleet? My dealership even loaned my a GS F-Sport once.

But the last time I took my car in on a Friday, I took the GS loaner they gave me and took it on a ski trip to the local resort.
Old 03-30-14, 06:03 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I have never had this happen as I always want a loaner Lexus if they use another loaner its usually a rental. I know BMW is like that you have to book 2 weeks in advance as the loaners are gone quickly.
Old 03-30-14, 10:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by terrycs
I'm not sure what the problem is, just go to a dealer with a bigger loaner fleet? My dealership even loaned my a GS F-Sport once.

But the last time I took my car in on a Friday, I took the GS loaner they gave me and took it on a ski trip to the local resort.
Not everybody lives in a location where they have multiple dealers to choose from. The OP lives in TN, and he said the next closest dealer is 3 hours away.
Old 03-30-14, 07:14 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
In my experience it really depends more on the dealer itself than what brand it is...
Maybe your signature hasn't covered enough of your purchases but it looks like you've been strictly Lexus for the better part of 15 years. And a Jeep.
Old 03-30-14, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty much, but we've also had Toyotas, a VW, an Infiniti in the family during that time, as well as the Jeep.

I do know many people with other luxury car brands as well...and I read a lot of different car forums. You hear the same stuff everywhere despite the brand.
Old 03-30-14, 09:35 PM
oaklander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot believe that a loaner is such a big deal to others, specially for 9 hours. How highly do you think of yourself?

$60k for a car is really not all that much. IMO.

When I use to drop off my Continental GT for service for days, I could care less what they gave me for a loaner, as long as I got home safe. I had a Corolla once, it was ok.

One time I even took the bus home from the San Francisco dealership, picked it up 4 days later, same bus ride, paid my $5,500 for basic service (tires, brakes and fluids), and drove home.

Life is too short to worry about such small little things

I'm just saying....
Old 03-31-14, 02:34 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Some of us also have kids. You ever try fitting a rear facing seat, plus stroller, diaper bags, and accessories in a Corolla sized car? It's a tough fit even in a mid-sized car and if you're over 5ft tall you can forget about fitting that rear facing seat in the center without busting your knee caps on the dash. If I could get away with a Corolla I would have bought an IS. I would request a bigger car even if they offered an IS.

It's not all about "how highly you think of yourself". Not all of us can safely/comfortably fit in a clown-sized car such as a Corolla.
Old 03-31-14, 06:56 AM
oaklander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Schmexus
Some of us also have kids. You ever try fitting a rear facing seat, plus stroller, diaper bags, and accessories in a Corolla sized car? It's a tough fit even in a mid-sized car and if you're over 5ft tall you can forget about fitting that rear facing seat in the center without busting your knee caps on the dash. If I could get away with a Corolla I would have bought an IS. I would request a bigger car even if they offered an IS.

It's not all about "how highly you think of yourself". Not all of us can safely/comfortably fit in a clown-sized car such as a Corolla.
somehow im not buying that. And yes I have kids, I've had them in small cars like a Corolla, its really not a big deal. If they gave you a full size Chrsyler or Chevy, It would be a safe bet that you would whine about that too.

In my opinion, If you need a bigger ride, then ask for it, if there are associated costs, then be prepared to open your wallet. The dealership has limitations and they don't owe you anything. Yes customer service is a must but be reasonable. How highly do you think of yourself =).
Old 03-31-14, 07:23 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

I can't believe how rude some of you are being just because someone wants to request a certain vehicle. Get over it. Not everybody has the same taste or needs.

Putting car seats and crap in a super compact car IS a big deal to most people who actually have to deal with it. Just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it's not important to others.
Old 03-31-14, 08:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Putting car seats and crap in a super compact car IS a big deal to most people who actually have to deal with it. Just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it's not important to others.
Just for clarification, the current Corolla is not a "super compact" car, but is now a mid-size vehicle per EPA ratings. It has 110.5 cu ft of interior and cargo volume. It's not that small of a car anymore.

I've had two strollers and two car seats (one rear facing) in my sister-in-law's Corolla, and didn't have to move the front seat forward to accommodate my 5'10" frame.
Old 03-31-14, 11:00 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76

Just for clarification, the current Corolla is not a "super compact" car, but is now a mid-size vehicle per EPA ratings. It has 110.5 cu ft of interior and cargo volume. It's not that small of a car anymore.

I've had two strollers and two car seats (one rear facing) in my sister-in-law's Corolla, and didn't have to move the front seat forward to accommodate my 5'10" frame.

Where are you getting your info? According to Toyota it's still a compact car and interior passenger volume is only 97.5 with 14cu ft of cargo which is only slightly bigger than a 2014 Honda civic and I don't see anybody calling the Honda Civic a mid-sized car.

Either way I wasn't aware that we were talking about the newly redesigned 2014 Toyota corolla as a loaner. I figured being a loaner it was probably a couple years old, although I do admit I haven't done much research on the new Corolla models lol.

Grasping at straws is where we are at now...ffs

Last edited by Schmexus; 03-31-14 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 11:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Where are you getting your info? According to Toyota it's still a compact car and interior passenger volume is only 97.5 with 14cu ft of cargo which is only slightly bigger than a 2014 Honda civic and I don't see anybody calling the Honda Civic a mid-sized car.

Either way I wasn't aware that we were talking about the newly redesigned 2014 Toyota corolla as a loaner. I figured being a loaner it was probably a couple years old, although I do admit I haven't done much research on the new Corolla models lol.

Grasping at straws is where we are at now...ffs
From the Toyota web site:

http://www.toyota.com/corolla/featur...1856/1876/1866

Interior volume is 97.5 plus 13.0 in the trunk, which equals 110.5.

Per the EPA, interior plus cargo volume of 110 to 119 is classified as a mid size:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml

Not grasping at straws, just adding some data into the thread.

Quick Reply: Not given a Lexus loaner when taking my GS for service?