GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

If the GS is so good, why are sales low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14 | 06:22 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by SW13GS
More often than not when I look over at someone driving a newer 5 series its somebody 65+, at least around here.
I'm only 61
Old 04-21-14 | 09:14 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

More often than not when I look over at someone driving a newer 5 series its somebody 65+, at least around here.
I see everyday older people on 911's, corvette, bmw's, if you love cars age is doesn't matter what kind of car you drive! Also older people has more $$ than 20+ people because they already achieved goals in their life's, While we are still working on them.
Old 04-21-14 | 10:01 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I know exactly what you mean - but you're not going to hear that a lot at this site.

I bought my first brand new car at 35 years of age - a 2005 LS430. I'm now on my sixth Lexus (bought three for my wife) and my last for awhile. The old drivetrains no longer interest me. In my opinion, Lexus no longer has the fire that drew me to the brand...

As a result of discussions I've had here, I do realize that it's only me and some guy named Bob in Kentucky who wants an LS that performs like other large luxury sedans do - so I, and my opinion, is irrelevant. I am at peace with this understanding.

But, as mentioned, I know exactly where you're coming from - and I agree with you.

P.S. I have also learned to unsubscribe from discussions where I express these opinions, and hopefully forget to come looking for them in the future.

All the best...

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have owned a number of Japanese cars, and my BMW 550 is my first German. First a disclaimer, the main reason I got a BMW is because they offer a 400 hp engine and Lexus did not (I had a 2010 GS before the BMW). So here my opinion on the reasons why…

>BMW (and other Germans) have a "snob" appeal that many folks are looking for.

>The Germans cover a lot more ground with the same car. A 5 series starts with a 240 hp 4 cylinder (that feels as fast as a GS btw), 300 hp 6, 445 hp V8, Diesel, and 560 hp M. They also offer a very wide range of options and features that are not available on a GS AND you can actually order one the way you want it.

>The biggest reason IMHO is that Lexus and Acura both came out of the gate with a bang 25 years ago and were very well received. I know some wealthy folks who traded S Class M-Bs and 7 series BMW's for Lexus LS400s. But sadly, the Japanese became very conservative and complacent - like a basketball team with a 10 point lead comes out after half time and forgets that the opponent regrouped. The LS460 has been sitting on 380 hp for years, the GS on 303/306 hp for years, and they have been very conservative in styling and coming out with variations as pointed out above.

Lexus and Acura build fine cars, but not terribly interesting cars and they are now having to go through the process of reversing a perception - which takes time.
Originally Posted by keyframe13
This right here it's a fantastic post. That's exactly what I feel especially when The new generation came with the same super old engines. I cannot recall any manufacture to carry on engines for so many years. Lexus is known for reliability?! Hack yes, but that only because they've been keeping those engines for so long. If BMW would sell you today the same engine as in 2006 be sure was very reliable..But people want better gas mileage and performance.. those I4 are doing a great job. those V8, v10 are doing a great job. Lexus needs to stop playing save. Everyone is expecting new and more engines option and that cannot come fast enough.
I think Lexus is doing a poor decision also not to bring IS300h in US or put that engine on a GS.
IMO also GS was always bald and they don;t offer many options the germans do.
At that price tag you need to impress with things you cannot find in an IS or ES.
Old 04-22-14 | 05:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Herofmine
I see everyday older people on 911's, corvette, bmw's, if you love cars age is doesn't matter what kind of car you drive! Also older people has more $$ than 20+ people because they already achieved goals in their life's, While we are still working on them.
I agree 100%, but it goes both ways. People are disparaging the GS on this thread because they see "older women" driving them. My point is that's not unusual for all any of these models.

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I know exactly what you mean - but you're not going to hear that a lot at this site.
Because this is a Lexus enthusiast site...and more specifically this is the 4GS enthusiast forum within a Lexus enthusiast site. It's not "Car Chat", it's not a BMW or Mercedes forum.

I'm a little confused as to why you're so surprised that the members of a Lexus enthusiast site are enthusiastic about Lexus, and that the members who post in the 4GS forum within that site are enthusiastic about their 4GS's. I think we've all been pretty understanding of dissenting viewpoints in this thread, yours and others.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-22-14 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-22-14 | 06:28 AM
LexFather

GS sells more in 2013 than it ever has. Somehow it doesn't sell well. Lol

You know with this line of thinking we could accuse any luxury SUV not RX as a failure. That wouldn't be accurate though.
Old 04-22-14 | 07:29 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus has been listening. I saw a very risque commercial exclusively focused on F brand marketing. (Has it been posted here yet?) Things will change!
Old 04-22-14 | 07:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
GS sells more in 2013 than it ever has. Somehow it doesn't sell well. Lol

You know with this line of thinking we could accuse any luxury SUV not RX as a failure. That wouldn't be accurate though.
Another false statement.

3GS sales in first model year far exceeded 4GS sales.

So far in 2014 calendar year GS sales have been pretty good imo.
Some of that may be from the buzz generated by the IS.
Old 04-22-14 | 10:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Another false statement.

3GS sales in first model year far exceeded 4GS sales.

So far in 2014 calendar year GS sales have been pretty good imo.
Some of that may be from the buzz generated by the IS.
Actually his statement is not false. He's talking about worldwide sales. Its 100% fact that the GS sold more units worldwide in 2013 than it ever has before. 3GS sales initially were much higher in the US, but increased volume in other markets has made up for that difference and then some.

If you're going to come into our forum and "fact check" our statements when you don't even own the car, at least be sure your facts are straight
Old 04-22-14 | 11:20 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
That was not clear by his statement that he was referring to worldwide output.

Considering we are in the US - lets focus on US sales to have an apple to apples comparison.

Worldwide sales have grown due to the fact that Lexus is in markets today that they were not in back in 2005-2006 when 3GS went on sale.
2GS was not even a Lexus in other markets, it was sold as a Toyota Aristo.

Thanks fot the warning - Btw i have been a CL member for 10 years longer than you have and owned a 2GS for over 8 years.
Also i planned to get a GS before my 5 and still may get one once my current lease is up.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-22-14 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-22-14 | 12:04 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

^

Considering we are in the US - lets focus on US sales to have an apple to apples comparison.

Worldwide sales have grown due to the fact that Lexus is in markets today that they were not in back in 2005-2006 when 3GS went on sale.
2GS was not even a Lexus in other markets, it was sold as a Toyota Aristo.

Thanks fot the warning - Btw i have been a CL member for 10 years longer than you have and owned a 2GS for over 8 years.
Also i planned to get a GS before my 5 and still may get one once my current lease is up.
sorry SW, but you just got pwnd.
Old 04-22-14 | 12:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

^
It was clear to me having had other conversations with him...the fact of the matter is the GS sold better worldwide in 2013 than it ever has...thats what he said and that statement is factual. The reasons for that are a matter of debate, but you said the statement was false and its not.

The car performs as well as Lexus projected it would, 24,000 units a year in the US. Again...those are the facts.

Thats great that you've been a CL member for a long time, but thats beside the point. This is the 4GS forum...not the 2GS forum. We deserve to be able to have an overall positive vibe about our car without being beaten down by negativity all the time, especially from those who don't even own the car. This isn't "Car Chat". Opposing viewpoints are one thing, but there are certain people who never have anything but negative things to say, and when I see them post in a thread I know what I'm going to read. I read the Car Chat forum too...I read the monthly sales threads that always denigrate into a 4GS disparagement argument.

I'd like to place a bet on whether or not you ever buy a GS again Its okay...the 5 series is a great car and I hope you enjoy it...but we want to enjoy discussing how much we enjoy our 4GSs, not listen to a bunch of non-owners talk about their perceptions of the car's shortcomings. I don't think its unreasonable to expect that we can do that in the 4GS forum on a Lexus enthusiast site. You've moved on and you prefer what BMW has to offer you, and thats fine...we just don't need to hear about it all the time.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-22-14 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-22-14 | 02:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
Honestly im not sure if you are serious by your last post.

I have never said anything bad about the GS in this thread here.
The fact that sales are lower in the US compared to last generation doesnt mean the car is poor.
The 4GS has been a huge UPGRADE over the last generation specifically offering the FSport package which have provided great driver dynamics.

Forums are for people to voice opinions, share ideas, issues, the good the bad and the ugly.
Thats how improvements are generally made.

This forum is not to pat Lexus on their back and turn a blind eye to shortcomings when we see them.
On the other hand, i do agree if a member starts a thread to bash a car in a specific model forum for no apparent reason. That is no good.
Old 04-22-14 | 02:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

And as a reminder, this IS a model specific forum folks... And some posts leaning towards personal commentary, let's keep this on the GS please
Old 04-22-14 | 03:21 PM
LexFather

Actually his statement is not false. He's talking about worldwide sales. Its 100% fact that the GS sold more units worldwide in 2013 than it ever has before. 3GS sales initially were much higher in the US, but increased volume in other markets has made up for that difference and then some.

If you're going to come into our forum and "fact check" our statements when you don't even own the car, at least be sure your facts are straight
I appreciate you supporting my facts. Thank you
Old 04-22-14 | 04:18 PM
Tom450
Driver

Does anyone know the US volume for the 2013 GSh? I know Lexus projected the GSh would be 10 percent of GS sales.

Quick Reply: If the GS is so good, why are sales low?