GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New car time soon!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 07:55 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car time soon!

So I went and did a little test driving today as I think I'll be getting something new this summer. Drove a 2011 535i M-Sport, a 2010 S5, and the brand new 2014 Genesis sedan. Didn't take any pics but here's some quick thoughts:

2011 535i M-Sport - I've found a few of these for under my $40k budget and this is probably the car I'm leaning towards the most. While I really love my Genesis there is just something missing; whether its brand cachet or what I don't know but I immediately feel like a better person driving the BMW! :tomato: Love the gear shifter for some reason, probably because its different. Styling has really grown on me over the years and I think the new M5 is about the most drop dead sexy car made right now. The 3 liter turbo 6 feels really strong, though not much faster than the 3.8 liter in my current Genesis. It is turbine smooth though and has no lag that I could sense. Steering is light and surprisingly vague. The wife's GS 350 feels much better in the turns but I like the engine/tranny in the BMW better. One thing I noticed about all used German cars is that they all smell like melted crayons. Weird.

2010 S5 Prestige - OK, so I've lusted after this car since I first saw it in early 2008. I drove a brand new one a few years ago but never seriously had the funds. Yay for Audi depreciation! The one I drove today was $38k but I've found low mileage ones for under $35k so the budget looks good. This one had the suede seats which I don't care for and I can't believe how small the nav screen is! Other than that its typical Audi on the inside with nice materials and satisfying buttons everywhere. Liked the huge sunroof but it only tilts. Loved the big V8 both in looks and sound. Seriously, with the red paint that has got to be one of the sexiest looking engines I've ever seen in a car. The sound was also sublime. Just wish the bite was as loud as the bark, if you know what I mean. Its not like it was slow or anything but with that kind of sound rumbling around under there I kind of expected more. Steering felt very good, Quattro kept everything nicely planted, though it did feel like a heavy car. I definitely had a bad case of "I want to sign whatever it takes to drive this car home right now" impulsiveness after driving it but I held it back!

2014 Genesis 3.8 - This car was a surprise. Material quality is way up over my 2009 for starters. The leather was actually far nicer than either the BMW or Audi that I drove (though they were several years old in fairness). The Genesis has a nice sized nav screen and a really big info screen between the speedo.tach as well. It was absolutely loaded with everything you can think of. Lane assist, blind spot monitoring, rear sunshades all around, power thigh extension, heated seats all around (vented up front), heads up display, excellent cubby for a phone with USB and dual power outlets (fits my Galaxy S4 perfectly), blueteeth, touch screen nav that functions much like a phone with swipe ability, massive sunroof (well the whole roof is glass basically), LED's, and so on. Loved the interior styling, it seemed right up there in terms of design and quality with the 535i and my wife's GS 350. The engine was a gem. Pulled absolutely as well as the 535i and was just as smooth. Satisfying sound as well. Handling was nothing special but not bad. This is a huge car and I could sit behind myself with my legs crossed (I'm 6'3"). Overall this car has thrown a wrench into my 535i plans as it really is as good of a car in many ways, minus that damn brand cachet I mentioned earlier! Sticker was $46k and I doubt they'll be marking them down much at the moment since it just came out but it really is a LOT of car for the money.

What do you guys think? I plan to spend the next couple of months driving and researching everything. This is going to be a decision I make carefully and I'm open to almost anything. The short list includes:

Infiniti Q50
BMW 3/4 series
MB CLA250
Buick Regal GS (check out the prices on these, insane)
Audi S4
GMC 1500 (yes I'm looking at pickups too)
Ram 1500 Sport
Ford F150 Raptor
Cadillac CTS-V
Ford Mustang GT/Shelby
Chevy Camaro SS
Kia Cadenza/Optima
Hyundai Azera

I'm mostly looking at used cars with less than 30k miles and my max budget is $40k. Thanks guys!
Old 05-13-14, 08:38 PM
IanRuhten
Driver School Candidate

Why not wait for the 2015 Genesis? Completely resdesigned
Old 05-13-14, 09:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IanRuhten
Why not wait for the 2015 Genesis? Completely resdesigned
I am positive he is talking about the new model. I would not buy one new as it will be discounted heavily by the time Christmas comes and surely you can get the V-8 model for near 10k off list like the current model which makes it a steal. They unfortunately do not hold their value. I have not driven the new model but surely its a solid drive.

The S5 is just gorgeous, enough reason to buy it lol. It really has held its re-sale value. I do wish the moonroof was a sunroof.

The 5 series is maybe the best all around car in this class since it has more room and a drop down backseat to extend the trunk. The M-sport is a great looking car. I don't know if I would buy a 2011 5 series if I could lease a new one for around the same payment.

Your list is too vast for me to summarize so good luck on your decision!
Old 05-13-14, 09:04 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed wait to test the 2015 genesis. Much better than previous models.
Old 05-14-14, 03:27 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Yeah your list is everywhere good luck on whatever you pick. The 15' I would wait for as well.
Old 05-14-14, 03:42 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

The Genesis will be discounted. I will be looking seriously at the 5.0 version of it. Fortunately, my lease (BMW 550) has ten months left, so my timing would be good on that car. But like most of us, I have to come to terms with owning a Hyundai. But I might.
Old 05-14-14, 09:08 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Unfortunately the 2015 Genesis, looks AWFUL. Jesus, what the hell did they do to it??? They have way too many brands of car looks all blended together. I agree that they are a hell of a bargain for what you get, but you have to actually like the looks of it too.
Old 05-14-14, 09:29 AM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you buy the BMW 535i, make sure it is a Certified Pre Owned (CPO) car or at least one has a substantial 3rd party warranty backing it up. The CPO cars, only through BMW, are backed by BMW for 6 years, 100K (from build date). I've had several BMWs...great driving cars but things just happen after 50-60K. The CPO warranty saved me a lot $$.
Even though the BMW you're looking at has less than 40K now, the factory warranty 4 yrs, 50K, will be up by next year.

BTW...I've also had a Lexus GS, which I have now sold to a friend, and its coming on 60K and has not had any warranty issues at all.

My car? I'm waiting for the 2015 GS F to replace my 550i M sport
Attached Thumbnails New car time soon!-my-stock-550i.jpg  

Last edited by HDEddie1; 05-14-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-14-14, 09:56 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to warn people about the 2011 BMW 5 series being plaques with too many problems. Vague steering system, vibration on the highways, bad transmission lag. I had a 2011 BMW that I had to lemon before switching over to the 2013 GS350 F-Sport. Personally I am very happy with the switch and I would not go back to the 5 series for a while due to my experience. Forgive me but the GS is a far more fun car to drive. If you want the 5 series, try to look at the 2012 5 series which have better quality and better programmed steering and transmission.
Old 05-20-14, 07:28 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

I didn't notice any of those bad attributes in the couple of 2011's that I've tested so far and believe me, I thoroughly tested them. Perhaps you really did just have a lemon? I agree that the GS F-Sport is an amazing car and very fun to drive but I personally think its pretty much a toss-up between it and the 535i with the Sport/M-Sport package. Lexus easily wins on value for money and interior design but the Bimmer wins on exterior design and customization. Plus, the BMW offers the fantastic turbo V8 in the 550i and the ungodly M5 as well. Hoping Lexus gets the GS-F right...
Old 05-20-14, 08:01 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm partial to Audi and Lexus because I traded an '11 S5 Cab for my '13 GS F Sport. I loved my S5 Cab and never had any issues, but I needed something more practical. I test drove one of the first S5 Coupes in 2008, and all I can remember is that it felt very nose heavy due to the V8 and didn't handle nearly as well as my Cab with the Supercharged V6. It did sound sweet, though. I originally had an '09 A5 S-Line, and I just couldn't get past the sunroof that only tilted. I like to open the sunroof wide open on nice days, and that just didn't cut it for me, which is why I traded for the Cab. One last thought... if you are on a budget, the S5 will most likely be the most expensive car to maintain because of the V8. I owned an '01 A6 4.2 and every minor service, from a new tire to an oil change cost major $$$.

Re: the new Genesis, as others have said, I would wait until the "cooling off" period because there will be discounts. I personally like the looks and think it will be a contender, but then again there's that brand cache thing. Yes, driving the Audi made me feel more high and mighty than driving the Lexus, but the GS still makes me smile everytime I drive it and that's what's important to me.
Old 05-20-14, 09:40 PM
Kayman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an owner also of a 2011 535 ix M sport I can assure the quality of the transmission is suspect. I have had mine replaced twice and the system computers reset without success. The car hates being switched into any sport driving mode and then back to normal driving mode. It take at least 12 and more often 24 hours to forget I drove it hard for a short while. In the time period I have to endure harsh gear changes that are almost ridiculous when shifting into drive, first and second after backing out of my short driveway. I can't wait to dump my 5 series. Sexy as hell from afar yes... a good driving comfort yes, but it's no driver's car like my GS. And there are so many 5s on the road now I prefer the distinction of driving my GS. Oh and the ladies prefer the GS hands down to the Bimmer.... just saying.

And I will be also driving a Buick Regal GS beginning next month for 5 months while I await my RCF. My neighbour has one, paid under 40K loaded and swears by it. Should be a fun 5 month whirl.

Last edited by Kayman; 05-20-14 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-21-14, 03:43 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. Here is my experience with the 2012 Genesis sedan, 2y ago. I bought the car, the nex day I returned it and bought a 12 Acura. I hated the glitchy controller, hated the throttle or transmission delay in every gear. Every time I hit go, it would idle for a sec or two only then it would Go.

I also drove the 2014 S5 and 2012 S5 with v8, the 2012 had only 8k on it with a price tag of $40k. The good, it looks amazing. The bad, i did not find comfort at any position, it felt too small. It drive good, but I just never felt the excitement, like in RWD or a FWD. It was missing that torquy feeling. The 2014 6cyl actually felt better than the 2012 v8.

I also drove the 2011 535i, i liked it, it was missing the paddle snifters and the fact that it is a Unreliable BMW. Other than that i really like the feel, the comfort, the controller was ok as well. I would not buy a BMW unless its a CPO (even with CPO you only get power train ), or transferable warranty from an individual.

Last edited by FastTags; 05-21-14 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 11:08 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastTags

I also drove the 2014 S5 and 2012 S5 with v8, the 2012 had only 8k on it with a price tag of $40k. The good, it looks amazing. The bad, i did not find comfort at any position, it felt too small. It drive good, but I just never felt the excitement, like in RWD or a FWD. It was missing that torquy feeling. The 2014 6cyl actually felt better than the 2012 v8.

I totally agree, if you can find a used S4/S5 with the 3.0 V6 in your price range you should test drive it. That engine is a torque monster.

Just be sure to get the extended warranty.
Old 05-21-14, 11:33 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Advocating buying a warranty doesn't make me feel too good about the reliability...

Quick Reply: New car time soon!