GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-sport 14 mpg expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 02:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I'm running 91 and the cap says Premium only and 91 is the highest here in CA. Will it hurt the engine if u put regular or mid grade fuel on this car? Just curious cause I don't think the 2GR in ES and Camry, etc requires premium. I know they're not the exact same engine (FE vs FSE), but just curious.
Short term no. Modern engines are smart enough to adjust for knocking and pinging. So if you ever find yourself at a station with only Regular 87 octane don't panic. The only downside is you will lose slight power (not really noticeable) and efficiency. Otherwise if it says Premium, use Premium.

Currently:
IS, GS, LS, RXh, GX, LX require premium
CT, ES, RX regular ok
Old 05-29-14, 02:52 PM
SSG77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't buy this car for the gas mileage, but I didn't think I'd be getting SUV fuel economy. I'm averaging between 15-17 mpg. Stupid me just thought something needed to be calibrated! Duh...
Old 05-29-14, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yeah I think its pretty telling that I have the GS and a 5,000lb+ SUV with a .37 cD and both are getting the same mileage.
Old 05-29-14, 05:00 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah I think its pretty telling that I have the GS and a 5,000lb+ SUV with a .37 cD and both are getting the same mileage.
Try driving both vehicles exactly the same and then tell me they get the same, comparing vehicles with similar performance.
Old 05-29-14, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We do pretty much drive them the same. We both commute from the same place to offices about 4 blocks from each other 20 miles away. There are times I drive the Jeep and she drives the Lexus. We drive the same trips at several points during the year, sometimes we drive the Lexus and sometimes the Jeep, I always drive.
Old 05-29-14, 07:25 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

We do pretty much drive them the same. We both commute from the same place to offices about 4 blocks from each other 20 miles away. There are times I drive the Jeep and she drives the Lexus. We drive the same trips at several points during the year, sometimes we drive the Lexus and sometimes the Jeep, I always drive.
Which engine does the Jeep have? I will say they are making some really good stuff especially now that the eight speed comes on all models.
Old 05-29-14, 08:20 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

To everyone else reading this...and you are the only person claiming to get anywhere near that mileage on the car...including the EPA.

Since nobody else's GS's get that on the highway at 55MPH I think everyone should take that with a grain of salt.
I just report my experience. Please find someone else to attack.

Last edited by ECL; 05-29-14 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 05:35 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
I am with you buddy. Everyone should take SW13GS comment with a grain of salt. I am getting factory spec mpg and you are getting it too even 5thavenue another forum member is getting advertised mpg. We are simply reporting the facts and this info will help this car forum community figure out why so many people get bad mpg and so few get good mpg. I feel that some gs' s may have some defects during manufacturing or those members just drive there gs' s really hard. I think some people are just jealous we are getting good mpgs so dont worry about his comment.
Old 05-30-14, 05:44 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I am with you buddy. Everyone should take SW13GS comment with a grain of salt. I am getting factory spec mpg and you are getting it too even 5thavenue another forum member is getting advertised mpg. We are simply reporting the facts and this info will help this car forum community figure out why so many people get bad mpg and so few get good mpg. I feel that some gs' s may have some defects during manufacturing or those members just drive there gs' s really hard. I think some people are just jealous we are getting good mpgs so dont worry about his comment.
This is my first fill up, so I Cleared all the previous data, and zeroed my odometer, will post more accurate results soon.

I believe SW13GS, I mean its very much possible. SO many things can effect the MPG, quality of gasoline, altitude, driving habits, How much do you really fill up v.s what is shown (some gas station owners fk with that) , tires, etc...

I remember back some years ago there was a Lawsuit against Honda Civic I think, they made it looks like you drive more, so for every 1 mile you drive it would show like 1.2mi on the odometer, it was actually something like 6,500 feet, instead of 5,280. Those thing can be manipulated. I switched tires on my Acura, went from Michelin to Toyo, my MPG improved right away by 2-3mgp

Here is another Lawsuit
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/woman...ry?id=15493339
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto...your-cash.aspx

Last edited by FastTags; 05-30-14 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-30-14, 05:50 AM
Needsdecaf
Rookie

Originally Posted by Schmexus
I'm also wondering if everybody is going by what the computer is guesstimating or if you're actually dividing your mileage by how many gallons of fuel you used?
I record all my fillups on a spreadsheet which tracks miles driven, date, price paid, mpg, etc.

Yes really.

FWIW, I have yet to see the computer's "since fillup" be more than 0.2 MPG off the actual calculated value.
Old 05-30-14, 05:52 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=FastTags;8560228I believe SW13GS, I mean its very much possible. SO many things can effect the MPG, quality of gasoline, altitude, driving habits, even tires[/QUOTE]

... and temperature, length of trip, traffic, all of which killed me this winter. But no different than other cars that also get terrible mileage when it's -20 and only driving for 5 minutes in city traffic. I think the stock price of Shell went up every time I pressed the start button.
Old 05-30-14, 06:07 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
... and temperature, length of trip, traffic, all of which killed me this winter. But no different than other cars that also get terrible mileage when it's -20 and only drin bothving for 5 minutes in city traffic. I think the stock price of Shell went up every time I pressed the start button.
I get 25 mpg average with my gs. I also get 25 mpg average with my 2006 LS430 V8 with the same commute. I dont drive conservatively and would sometimes drive very spirited and still get 25 mpg. Ithink you guys drive way too hard on the streets which is a good thing because thats the whole reason for most of us buying this car.
Old 05-30-14, 06:47 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I know traffic killed my MPG. My average MPG as of now is 20.6 MPG and my average speed is 28 MPH.
Old 05-30-14, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Which engine does the Jeep have? I will say they are making some really good stuff especially now that the eight speed comes on all models.
It has the V6. My new one has the 8 speed, but I just refilled it for the first time so my experience comes even from my previous 2011 Jeep that had the 5 speed. I expect better mileage with the 8 speed.

Originally Posted by ECL
I'm not attacking you, but you refuse to acknowledge that your reported mileage is completely different than that of EVERYBODY else who has reported their mileage on this forum, and even far higher than what is reported by the EPA or the manufacturer. If you are truly reading from your readout, something is wrong. Literally nobody reports mileage within 40% of what you are reporting. That doesn't strike you as curious?

I am with you buddy. Everyone should take SW13GS comment with a grain of salt. I am getting factory spec mpg and you are getting it too even 5thavenue another forum member is getting advertised mpg.
You're talking as if I'm the only one reporting low mileage. I'm not...98% of the people here are reporting mileage as low or lower than mine...and I'm not the person who started the thread. Search this forum, there are many threads on this subject going back to when the 4GS first came out. ECL is not claiming to be getting the advertised mileage. I have no problem believing you can be getting 20MPG city in a RWD on 100% non-ethanol fuel. He's saying he's getting 29 city....nearly 50% better mileage than you. THAT I do not believe.

You have to understand that most people do not have access to fuel that is not 10% ethanol...I don't...and most people are still coming off winter blend fuels which reduce MPG.

Take my comment with a grain of salt? I'm the only one who posted pictures of my MPG readouts and mileage...and my experience mirrors the majority of others here. I don't think its my comments that should be taken with a grain of salt. You guys with mileage over 20 are the outliers, not those of us with mileage under 20.

My car is not driven hard, its driven normally...and I never use sport mode. I've had 6 Lexus vehicles, including two ES's and two LS's. All of them got better mileage than the GS. The V8 LS actually gets surprisingly good mileage, as you know.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-30-14 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-30-14, 09:12 AM
5thavenue
Rookie

Me and 5thavenue both live in Tennessee and we both get the same mpg. Both our cars are similarly packaged with same options. So maby its the gas quality here is better? Also note I only use premium gas with 100% Gasoline and 0% ethanol. Alot of gas sold here are 10% ethanol though.
I only use premium gas but I use the 10% ethanol mix.
I've been filling up at Pilot.
This morning my average in sport mode this week is showing 23.8

Quick Reply: F-sport 14 mpg expectations?