GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-14, 03:26 PM
Blade223
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noise

I sit in my car with the engine running and nothing else turned on. No radio. No heat. No air conditioning. However, I still hear a noise that sounds like air flow but I can't seem to find where it is coming from or what it is.

Any ideas?
Old 06-04-14, 03:42 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that too. Came from the vented seats turned on blowing into your ear if you turn a certain way... at least that's what it turned out to be for mine - not sure if it's the same noise you're hearing.
Old 06-04-14, 04:58 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flippd
the vented seats turned on blowing into your ear if you turn a certain way...
Now that is a good one! Not sure if the recirculate button actually blows the air or not.
Old 06-04-14, 05:08 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 3 Posts

If I lean forward in the seat with the seat fans on high, it does make enough noise to hear, even though there's not much of a breeze. It was very much a "why am I hearing air moving when there is no air coming from the vents?" thing the first couple of times it happened.
Old 06-05-14, 12:34 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's happened to me as well, turns out my gf turned on the ventilated seat air for the passenger seat and I never turned it off.
Old 06-05-14, 05:21 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ventilated seats have a blower that blows the air outwards to cool them off.

I am not saying that this is what you hear, but make sure its turned off as well.

When you lean forward you allow air to come out, when lean against the back of the seat, you prevent the air to come out there for you hear less of the noise.
Old 02-14-20, 05:33 PM
swolh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new to me 2013 GS 350 Fsport has a very annoying high pitched two-tone oscillating noise - like a faint alarm - that can only be heard with my head in the driving position, sitting in the seat. Lean my head forward a foot and noise goes away. Lean my head to the right a foot and the noise goes away. Does not change with engine speed or road speed. Drove me nuts for a few days, until I was parked with engine running (and annoying noise going strong), and I chanced to turn off the seat heater. Noise stopped. Heater on highest level, noise resumed. Turned heater down one level, nose quieted a little.

Conclusion: there's a fan in the seat back that runs when the seat heater is on (it's winter, haven't tried the seat cooling, but suspect it's the same fan), and it's developed a slight bearing noise. Remedy will be to disassemble seat back to access the fan, try to lube the fan bearing. If that doesn't quiet it, then new fan.

If anyone has had the seat apart to access the fan, please post. I'll do some more searching for that....

Thanks
Old 02-14-20, 05:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by swolh
My new to me 2013 GS 350 Fsport has a very annoying high pitched two-tone oscillating noise - like a faint alarm - that can only be heard with my head in the driving position, sitting in the seat. Lean my head forward a foot and noise goes away. Lean my head to the right a foot and the noise goes away. Does not change with engine speed or road speed. Drove me nuts for a few days, until I was parked with engine running (and annoying noise going strong), and I chanced to turn off the seat heater. Noise stopped. Heater on highest level, noise resumed. Turned heater down one level, nose quieted a little.

Conclusion: there's a fan in the seat back that runs when the seat heater is on (it's winter, haven't tried the seat cooling, but suspect it's the same fan), and it's developed a slight bearing noise. Remedy will be to disassemble seat back to access the fan, try to lube the fan bearing. If that doesn't quiet it, then new fan.

If anyone has had the seat apart to access the fan, please post. I'll do some more searching for that....

Thanks

I presume you've turned On the ventilated front seats (at least the driver's seat) on Hi and heard the rush of air it makes (really only noticeable when you lean your head forward toward the steering wheel). Is this rushing air sound what you are hearing? Or, is it more of a mechanical sound like a fan motor bearing which you mentioned?

You probably should have started a new thread instead of posting to a thread that is 5½ years old.
Old 02-14-20, 05:48 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Thanks
I had no idea a fan ran with the heat. I can't feel air coming out. Does it prevent the element itself from getting too hot? Perhaps my model is too primitive to have such feature
Old 02-14-20, 05:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cwang
I had no idea a fan ran with the heat. I can't feel air coming out. Does it prevent the element itself from getting too hot? Perhaps my model is too primitive to have such feature
Yeah, I agree. I don't think the seat heaters are connected in any way with the seat ventilation fans. I would think using the seat ventilation may even reduce the effectiveness of the seat heaters...especially so before the cabin warmed up - otherwise the seat ventilation would freeze you to death.
Old 02-14-20, 05:55 PM
swolh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the sound of rushing air. It the soundyou hear when an alternator bearing is starting to get dry and worn, but it doesn't change with engine speed.
Good suggestion to start a new thread. I'll do that. Thanks.
Old 02-14-20, 06:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Good suggestion to start a new thread. I'll do that.

You might as well continue on here now...