GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hit 1,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 08:42 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not that I dont understand it, I find too many things I dont like.

1. The GPS icon is very small and sometimes hard to see, when you have Traffic among other things.
2. A few times I missed the exit bc it showed that the GPS icon was at one location but the car was at another.
3. It showed me to exist where there was no exit on the HWY.
4. I hate that I have to push on the button to ZOOM in and ZOOM out, most car now have a **** for easy ZOOM
5. I have to FOLD the right screen every time I want to zoom IN and ZOOm out

I know how to read the NAV, I understand how all the icon works, but the execution is just BLAH.
Old 06-12-14, 08:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Also make sure its not set to automatically re-route for traffic or construction...if you're willing to check that
Old 06-12-14, 08:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastTags
Its not that I dont understand it, I find too many things I dont like.
1. The GPS icon is very small and sometimes hard to see, when you have Traffic among other things.
You mean the car's location icon? Its nearly an 3/4 of an inch in diameter. Its just like anybody else's icon.

Can you really not immediately see where the location icon is here:

Its no different than Acura's navigation:

2. A few times I missed the exit bc it showed that the GPS icon was at one location but ithe car was at another.
It pops up to the right of the screen and says with a big 3 inch tall arrow to take the exit and it says on top what exit number it is and what the name of the exit is. How does one miss that?

3. It showed me to exist where there was no exit on the HWY.
Old map data. It happens. Lexus doesn't create map data, they buy it from Navteq, as does pretty much everybody else. Its all the same data. Exits get moved, reorganized, etc.

4. I hate that I have to push on the button to ZOOM in and ZOOM out, most car now have a **** for easy ZOOM
I never zoom. I set it on the second from the closest setting and leave it. If you want to zoom, you have a rocker switch above the RTC pad between the menu and map buttons that zooms in and out, you don't have to touch the soft buttons on the screen:

I know how to read the NAV, I understand how all the icon works, but the execution is just BLAH.
You didn't know about any of the settings any of us have mentioned...

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-12-14 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 08:56 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Just before this GS350, I had 2012 Acura TL FULLY loaded.

The car was done right, every single feature is right. Excellent transmission,and Engine 0-60 I did in 5.7s, Super easy and clear Nav, that actually works great, You dont even need to look in the book for anything, becasue you can figure everything out in 10-15 minutes.

The sound is amazing no need to upgrade, unlike GS.

Only 1 negative, I wish it was faster and I wish it had better Leather.
You sound like a guy that wishes his ugly girl friend was a super model. If you want a super model you have to pay for a super model. You want a beast like a CLS63 AMG, trade in your GS and get the car you want.
Old 06-12-14, 08:57 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Also make sure its not set to automatically re-route for traffic or construction...if you're willing to check that
yeah it always ask me to re-rout. I am gonna change that.

1.Yes the Location icon, No they may look similar but somehow on the Acura it is much visible when it Zoomed out, I like to oversee the whole town when I drive.

On the Lexus its hard to see it.

2.I dont know how I missed the exit but it happened twice so far.
3. When the right screen pops up, you have to get out of it in order to ZOOM

Last edited by FastTags; 06-12-14 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

1.Yes the Location icon, No they may look similar but somehow on the Acura it is much visible when it Zoomed out, I like to oversee the whole town when I drive.
No wonder you miss exits! Looking at the town you can't possibly see any of the road details, on a Lexus or an Acura system. If you zoom out, the icon is the same size.

3. When the right screen pops up, you have to get out of it in order to ZOOM
Why are you trying to zoom when the message comes up to take an exit? Just look up at the road, identify the exit sign, and take the exit!. Anyways, once you've seen the message, if you drive by the exit sign displaying exactly what your nav system said while you're trying to zoom the map...thats your fault as the driver not the car's fault.

yeah it always ask me to re-rout. I am gonna change that.
It can ask you, just decline. Make sure its not automatically rerouting you or using traffic to plan your route.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-12-14 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 09:59 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

can you tell me where is the seting for the Fastest route? I could not find under the NAV settings

I fond Preferred, Alternative and Short route when I select the Route

Last edited by FastTags; 06-12-14 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 10:01 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

The manual is a beautiful thing Its in the navigation settings, and when you program in a destination you are given the choice of 3 routes. Simply select the fastest route.

OnStar works like that because its designed for cars that don't have navigation systems, and when they do they don't have the ability to take control of your navigation system. Why would you want some person to give you turn by turn directions over the phone when you have a navigation system that is designed to do that? The Enform operator finds the destination for you and then downloads it to your nav system for you while you're driving, and the nav system directs you. Its MORE advanced than OnStar because OnStar doesn't have that link between the operator and the technology in your car.

Sure you can look it up yourself, the whole point is that theres an operator there to do that for you so you're not fumbling with apps while you're driving. In this day and age we can do all of these things by ourselves...what would you expect enform to do for you that you could not also do for yourself?

I think your expectations are at issue here. Something is not a poor system because you're not willing to learn how it works.
Yes when I select a Route I get Preferred, Short and Alternative, but not Fastest route.

As far as driving habits, well we all have different once. For example I like to oversee everything, and I Like to zoom in and zoom out a lot, I hate the pop-up on the right, too bad I cant shut it off. I like to see where I am going and where I need to turn on the screen.

if you zoomed out you can't tel where you need to make a turn you just have to wait 'till the screen on the right will pop-uo and tell you, and you wont even see the ICON until you really close.

I like to see the GPS icon moving along the road so I can make my own choice on where I want to turn etc.. just my preference of driving.

Also, the icon will go smaller when you zoom out, and bigger when you zoom in. It may be not the size but the color of the MAPO or the icon itself is what makes it less visible.

I realize that its not designed to Zoom in and Out a lot, but that is how I like it.

Last edited by FastTags; 06-12-14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I fond Preferred, Alternative and Short route when I select the Route
Use the preferred route. Its the fastest route. Make sure your speed limits are set properly for each type of road based on your area, that changes how it computes the fastest route.

I realize that its not designed to Zoom in and Out a lot, but that is how I like it.
Bottom line is, you're using the navigation system in an unusual way...and not in the way it was designed to be utilized...you're going to have unusual results. I completely don't understand why you are even using a navigation system if you want to make your own choices as to where you're going to turn...and of course you're going to miss where your turns are if you don't have the navigation screen centered on your vehicle's location. I also don't understand how all that fiddling with the screen and watching the screen is safe operation of the vehicle, but thats another discussion.

Anyways, bottom line is if you aren't willing to compromise and adapt the way you use the system to how the system is designed to operate...you're never going to be satisfied and theres no way we or the dealer can help you.
Old 06-12-14, 11:24 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

I found our navigation system to be very good. That right screen displays the turns in a detailed (zoomed) view when it's in dual screen mode. It's usually splits when you're near a turn and go back to single view when there is no turns ahead, so you don't have to keep playing with the zoom settings.

I keep mine at 2 miles view cause I want to see the traffic in my surrounding area and rarely missed a turn/exit, unless I'm too busy talking with my passengers and forgot that I was driving.
Old 06-12-14, 12:32 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

No problems with nav. I'm also in Texas--Houston more specifically. My only gripe--nav should have been 3d.
Old 06-12-14, 12:42 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Use the preferred route. Its the fastest route. Make sure your speed limits are set properly for each type of road based on your area, that changes how it computes the fastest route.

Bottom line is, you're using the navigation system in an unusual way...and not in the way it was designed to be utilized...you're going to have unusual results. I completely don't understand why you are even using a navigation system if you want to make your own choices as to where you're going to turn...and of course you're going to miss where your turns are if you don't have the navigation screen centered on your vehicle's location. I also don't understand how all that fiddling with the screen and watching the screen is safe operation of the vehicle, but thats another discussion.

Anyways, bottom line is if you aren't willing to compromise and adapt the way you use the system to how the system is designed to operate...you're never going to be satisfied and theres no way we or the dealer can help you.
i HAVE IT SET-UP as Preferred. Yeah, maybe so, its ok, I am adjusting.
Old 06-12-14, 12:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you adjusted your speed limits? Do you have it set to avoid certain types of roads?
Old 06-12-14, 01:16 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Have you adjusted your speed limits? Do you have it set to avoid certain types of roads?
I think its adjusted to the max, I remember the HWY is set to 75mp/h

I dont remember, will have to check. What roads do you have it to avoid?

Its not that I am not willing to adopt, like I said when I drive on the FWY I want to see over all, so I could see the traffic and make my routs according to the traffic if I have to, once I get off the HWY I ZOOM in on my map, so its annoying because sometimes I go in and out of the HWY, and I constantly have to turn the right side OFF when I hit the FWY.
Specially when I dont know the road and I have to do a U turn and hit the HWY, or When I just want to see what is the next turn, and if it is the right turn.

For example the NAV may not always know if there is a split on the road, so it will take you around ton get to that side, if I can see that on the map, I can simply avoid that

Last edited by FastTags; 06-12-14 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 01:27 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

U might want to disable the auto dual maps on the HWY mode. I set mine to single map at all times so I can see more map coverage, including traffic info.

My map screen only splits when it's actually navigating and I'm getting close to a turn or a FWY junction.

My nav is set to 25MPH City and 65MPH HWY and no avoidance.

Quick Reply: Hit 1,000 miles