GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bone to Pick with Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 06:52 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bone to Pick with Lexus

Just came back from Toronto. I haven't been there in 24 years. My how things have changed, and not for the better! There are 30 story apartment/condo building EVERYWHERE. It looks like Tokyo or New York. My God, where are all these people coming from?

Anyway, I also experienced another horror, a chilling sight I've seen nowhere else, certainly not in the US of A. Lexuses (or is it Lexi?) used as limos! Okay, all the ones I saw were ES 350s, but still. The sight of a car that closely resembles my GS 350 used for livery was appalling! What's up with that? And they had special communications antennae. I saw them everywhere! At the airport picking up passengers, downtown, you name it.

The last thing I want is to own a car common to rental fleets, taxis, or, God forbid, limos. Sheesh. I can't get the visual memory out of my head!
Old 06-12-14, 07:07 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PLEASE get over yourself! Lexus has no control over the uses of their vehicles. Plus you should be glad that they picked Lexus because they are reliable to be used as fleet (and stylist at the same time)
Old 06-12-14, 07:11 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

In Germany they use Mercedes Benz as taxis sooo who cares? Lol
Old 06-12-14, 07:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Plenty of RX hybrids used as Yellow Taxis in NYC.

Nothing new.....
Old 06-12-14, 08:22 PM
Trek
Pole Position

RNM, that's one reason why I would never buy an RX (the other reason: it's ugly). And it's not the brand that bothers me, it's the model. I don't care if there are Lexus taxis or Mercedes Benz airport shuttles, so long as the model I drive isn't used like that. Before I went Lexus, I was tempted to buy a Chrysler 300C. My brother has one and it is impressive in a few ways. Then I realized Chrysler 300s (the various models look basically alike) are all over rental car fleets and limosine liveries.

I realize the ES isn't the GS, but most non-Lexus buyers can't tell 'em apart. It's just a little too close for comfort. At least ES isn't used as an airport rent a ride in the US of A.

Last edited by Trek; 06-12-14 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 08:32 PM
LexFather

I was in Toronto for a week last year and didn't see that. I loved it there so clean and friendly! Some services buy all sorts of cars for cabs so it's not surprising.
Old 06-12-14, 09:02 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey at least that's better than seeing a bunch of Lexuses at Enterprise or Hertz.
Old 06-12-14, 09:08 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Usually they use Camrys as taxis, that's why I got rid of mine and never looked back! lol

But using Lexus as taxis... Damn!! Never seen one here before.
Old 06-12-14, 09:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Lots of limo services use MB S Classes...a wide variety of luxury cars are used for that purpose. Why that's an issue to you is absolutely beyond me
Old 06-13-14, 04:12 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
In Germany they use Mercedes Benz as taxis sooo who cares? Lol
so true. if anything we should be homered,!
Old 06-13-14, 04:56 AM
VIPER91
Driver School Candidate

I would use an ls460l for a higher end transportation service. Man those things are comfy in the back seat
Old 06-13-14, 11:28 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It makes perfect sense to me. The ES is spacious, the ride is smooth, and it's quite. It's also reliable and the hybrid gets great mileage, both of which really help the bottom line.

You only associate livery services with crap cars because in the US the [appalling] Town Car is the dominant player.
Old 06-13-14, 11:32 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
It makes perfect sense to me. The ES is spacious, the ride is smooth, and it's quite. It's also reliable and the hybrid gets great mileage, both of which really help the bottom line.

You only associate livery services with crap cars because in the US the [appalling] Town Car is the dominant player.
Yes and no. At least in NYC, I see more Camry's and Highlander's running as car service these days. The Town cars are getting old and starting to dissappear.

Ed
Old 06-13-14, 01:12 PM
harryra
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by Trek
Just came back from Toronto. I haven't been there in 24 years. My how things have changed, and not for the better! There are 30 story apartment/condo building EVERYWHERE. It looks like Tokyo or New York. My God, where are all these people coming from?

Anyway, I also experienced another horror, a chilling sight I've seen nowhere else, certainly not in the US of A. Lexuses (or is it Lexi?) used as limos! Okay, all the ones I saw were ES 350s, but still. The sight of a car that closely resembles my GS 350 used for livery was appalling! What's up with that? And they had special communications antennae. I saw them everywhere! At the airport picking up passengers, downtown, you name it.

The last thing I want is to own a car common to rental fleets, taxis, or, God forbid, limos. Sheesh. I can't get the visual memory out of my head!
Are you serious or are you kidding???? I own two S550's....one is a 2012 and the other a 2014....Each had an MSRP over $110,000. I visit NYC often and they are commonly used as fleet cars for livery and I take zero offense to that.

What's wrong with you????
Old 06-13-14, 01:54 PM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pheonix72
PLEASE get over yourself! Lexus has no control over the uses of their vehicles. Plus you should be glad that they picked Lexus because they are reliable to be used as fleet (and stylist at the same time)

Well said!

Quick Reply: Bone to Pick with Lexus