GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What's your plan after the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 12:11 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

As a quick update to my comment this morning. After posting about the Genesis, I got on a plane this morning for Baltimore. At the rental car counter all they have is a Genisis to rent me. It's the outgoing version. I just got to my hotel having put 100 miles on it. I agree it is dated and needed refinement but the new one seems to have addressed all the issues. I plan to drive one soon.
Old 07-15-14, 12:13 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
So, am I pretty much the only one in this thread looking at the RC? The RC-F will be pretty incredible; at least, it is in photographs and on paper. The V8 alone is worth the price of admission and the interior looks like an IS for grown ups.
Speaking of an IS coupe for grown ups. I'd love to see a coupe based on the LS to compete with the S-Class coupe and 6-Series.
Old 07-15-14, 12:13 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I was under the impression that the IS and the RC had essentially the same interior?
Not really. There are plenty of good pics on the RC forum. It is similar, but not the same. Interestingly, the car is actually built on a shortened GS platform.
Old 07-15-14, 12:35 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Not really. There are plenty of good pics on the RC forum. It is similar, but not the same. Interestingly, the car is actually built on a shortened GS platform.
Oh no kidding? I hadn't read that yet. I wonder why they chose that platform instead of the IS given the similar interiors and a shorter wheelbase even than the IS.
Old 07-15-14, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

So, am I pretty much the only one in this thread looking at the RC? The RC-F will be pretty incredible; at least, it is in photographs and on paper. The V8 alone is worth the price of admission and the interior looks like an IS for grown ups.
I wish I could. Unfortunately it came around about 5 years too late for me to be in a time in my life when I could have a coupe. Its the first coupe that has really appealed to me.

Originally Posted by jjdcsix
As is the IS, FYI. IS, GS, RC...same basic platform.

The RC and IS share the same basic dashboard, steering wheel...

I'm surprised the new Hyundai Genisis is not getting any play here. It appears to be a hell of a car at a hell of a price. It just shows how much the badge is still putting off upper end buyers.
I liked the current Genesis, and I'm sure I would like the new Genesis as well. It was very appealing to me when I was paying ES money and aspiring to a GS. BUT, now that I'm comfortable with the GS price point I wouldn't get a Genesis just to save money. Its badge, but also service, and to me if I'm going to spend $50k+ to drive something I want it to be something I really enjoy driving and owning. As a car enthusiast that can't be a Hyundai for me, unless I'm getting something I otherwise couldn't have in the exchange...if that makes sense.

Perhaps an Equus to get an LS style car for GS money...but not a Genesis. I'd rather just keep my GS,
Old 07-15-14, 03:23 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I was under the impression that the IS and the RC had essentially the same interior?
Nah, they share the LFA-inspired digital gauges (which will become standard across the board eventually) and the steering wheel. Other than that, new design including the trackpad instead of the wobbly **** for the Remote Touch. Just read that the trackpad will have haptic feedback so it'll bump your finger when you run the cursor across buttons, so you can feel selections without staring at the screen.

Seats are different, dash layout is different, etc.. Although like others have said, it shares a shortened GS frame with the IS. Personally I think it looks similar to the MK4 Supra, which has held up really well over time from a design standpoint. Nobody gets tired of a long hood and a shortened canopy pushed to the rear. It's been iconic since Jaguar or whoever first put the elements together.

The front end, of course, is considered their "ultimate expression of the spindle grille" and combined with the nike LED's that aren't in the headlight housing, it's like seeing a supermodel with a black eye and a broken nose to me.
Old 07-15-14, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

dash layout is different, etc.
No, the dash is the same between the IS and RC. Some button layout is different, but the dash itself is the same dash.

RC Dash:

IS Dash:

The buttons on the steering wheel are different, gauge configuration is slightly different, console layout is different, but the dash is the same dash, and the wheel is the same wheel.
Old 07-15-14, 05:12 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Thanks for sharing SW. I have seen angles of the RC that showed the differences. I honestly did not realize the basic dash is the same.

I thought I read the GS and IS were different platforms. My bad.
Old 07-15-14, 07:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its definitely the same basic dash...the RC isn't really an "IS coupe" though, its really a distinct model in and of itself on the same platform...
Old 07-15-14, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
It is on my list, but I think the front end is hideous. It will depend on pricing and just how small the rear seat room is.

I'm surprised the new Hyundai Genisis is not getting any play here. It appears to be a hell of a car at a hell of a price. It just shows how much the badge is still putting off upper end buyers.
The Hyundai badge no longer puts me off. Heck, I was in NJ last week and visited with a former co-worker who is independently wealthy, retired young and always drove Lexuses. She now has a Kia Cadenza and loves it. I just see no reason to trade a GS with only 16k miles for a car that isn't as sporty and doesn't have the excellent dealer service that Lexus provides. I think the new Genesis is an outstanding car, but I think the GS is even better. The styling of the Genesis is new, so it will stand out for a while, but in the long run I don't think it's any better than the styling of the GS.
Old 07-15-14, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
No, the dash is the same between the IS and RC. Some button layout is different, but the dash itself is the same dash.

RC Dash:

IS Dash:

The buttons on the steering wheel are different, gauge configuration is slightly different, console layout is different, but the dash is the same dash, and the wheel is the same wheel.
I read the black finish on the console of the IS will be replaced with a gray finish in the '15 model that won't scratch so easily. Also, I'll bet Lexus will replace the mouse with the new touchpad in the '15 IS. Then the interiors will be even more similar.
Old 07-15-14, 08:07 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, RC F, if I can get over that hump in the hood. The whole front end needs a refresh, IMO, but we'll see if black can mask its funkiness.

No more 4-doors for me, the next one is a coupe. The RC arrives just in the nick of time (lease is up in May 2015).

Love the GS handling, I just need more engine, I need a V8. I've been spoiled now, I need the sound and feel of a V8. haha
Old 07-15-14, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Needs a refresh? It hasn't even been on the market one day lol
Old 07-15-14, 08:11 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

While Kia and Hyundai are getting better, I'm sure Lexus will up their game too. Competition is good.

They really need to bump these horsepower though. A twin turbo 2GR would be nice.
Old 07-15-14, 08:44 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
I read the black finish on the console of the IS will be replaced with a gray finish in the '15 model that won't scratch so easily. Also, I'll bet Lexus will replace the mouse with the new touchpad in the '15 IS. Then the interiors will be even more similar.
I hope you're right. I almost pulled the trigger on an IS350 F a couple of weeks ago. Great price, right color and options, but holding out for the 2015s for ventilated seats and in hopes that they include that touchpad. The current mouse is my least favorite feature. If you're right about the gray finish, that would be a bonus too.

Quick Reply: What's your plan after the 4GS?