GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Door protectors and bodyside mouldings

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 06:24 AM
vedaan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door protectors and bodyside mouldings

We have a GS with Lux pkg (Riviera Red). Have toddlers that always forget that the mall's parking lot is for other cars to park too . Sometimes the lots have narrow spaces. Thinking of getting the door protectors/edge-guards and body-side moldings from Sewell parts. Body side molding would additionally give a aesthetic look too.

Before ordering wanted to check here if anyone has them and to see how it looks and if the installation is easy.

Appreciate if anyone has them and can share some pics.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-14, 07:09 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

At first i was thinking of getting the side moldings but when i saw a used gs350 with side moldings and realized how ugly it makes the car looks, i decide against it. Instead i had the car clear bra'd on all doors including the edges of the doors for a seamless look and that also took care of the edge guards too. I think edge guards are ugly too because the body colored ones never really matches the paint and even the clear ones turn yellow over time. Most high quality clear bra's never turn yellow. I hope this info helps.
Old 07-23-14, 08:31 AM
GBFSport
Rookie

I have the door edge guards, they are very soft and if you do ding something you will get a mark on the guard which I guess is better than the door. My car is white so the color match is OK for now but the side moldings on the GS look mega ugly.
Old 07-23-14, 12:18 PM
SmokeTL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
At first i was thinking of getting the side moldings but when i saw a used gs350 with side moldings and realized how ugly it makes the car looks, i decide against it. Instead i had the car clear bra'd on all doors including the edges of the doors for a seamless look and that also took care of the edge guards too. I think edge guards are ugly too because the body colored ones never really matches the paint and even the clear ones turn yellow over time. Most high quality clear bra's never turn yellow. I hope this info helps.
Do you have a pic of the clear bra'd doors? I never heard of anyone doing that....thats different.
Old 07-23-14, 04:58 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeTL
Do you have a pic of the clear bra'd doors? I never heard of anyone doing that....thats different.
Uses the same 3M type clear bra film on the edge of the door. Think of those stick on door strips, but instead, you use the film. Hardly noticeable, and protects adequately. Have that on my IS, but not my GS. Had the bulky plastic strips on the GS and they started to turn yellow and crack. Took quite the effort to remove them along with the glue residue.
Old 07-24-14, 06:26 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the door protectors on my Starfire Pearl White Lux GS, and honestly, after three hours you don't even notice they're there--they're that low-key. And for the record, I don't know if they've prevented any dings.
Old 07-26-14, 06:57 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Free solution: park at the back of the parking lot. Everyone can use the exercise and both your car and others will be safe from dings.

Although this is just a theory. I have the magnet car syndrome, where no matter how remotely I park, some jerk parks right next to me. All the time. I don't mind if it's a nice car, because I assume they care about opening doors, which is why they also chose no car's land.