GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Terrible gas mileage on GS350 AWD F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 09:13 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the disadvantage the GS has in fuel economy is it is just too much fun to hit that pedal HARD every chance you get!!
Old 11-01-18, 04:40 AM
Ken2112
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
I've had my car for 2 weeks now, and have about 300 miles on the car.

My first tank of gas, I got about 16-17mpg, but a lot of that time was spent sitting in the car, setting things up at the dealership, so I figured I'd improve that number with the next tank.

Right now the car says I am getting about 18.9mpg - and that is with a decent amount of highway driving. I've driven the majority of this 2nd tank of gas in Eco mode and have been trying to feather the throttle.

Windows are always up, A/C is turned on though.

I was expecting to see better numbers - think it will improve as I put more miles on the car?

Annoying that I have to try to drive the car like its a Prius to get decent gas mileage out of it. My last car (2003 Acura TL-S) wasn't averaging much better gas mileage (about 23mpg) but I also wasn't babying it either.

It'd be nice if I could get closer to what I was getting in my old car without having to be so gentle on the car -- but I understand this is an AWD car and my old car was FWD which will obviously impact fuel efficiency.
I just bought a 2015 GS 350 AWD in Cleveland, Ohio 3 weeks ago and drove to my home in upstate NY. I got about 28 MPG on that trip with the car in normal mode. Yesterday, I drove over 400 miles 85% highway and only got about 22 MPG and had the car in Eco mode. Not happy at all with the mileage drop off. Will be contacting the dealer first thing this morning.

Old 11-01-18, 05:23 AM
eddie420

Received 631 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken2112
I just bought a 2015 GS 350 AWD in Cleveland, Ohio 3 weeks ago and drove to my home in upstate NY. I got about 28 MPG on that trip with the car in normal mode. Yesterday, I drove over 400 miles 85% highway and only got about 22 MPG and had the car in Eco mode. Not happy at all with the mileage drop off. Will be contacting the dealer first thing this morning.
That means absolutely nothing. Depends how heavy your foot is, if you're cruising too fast, you'll get less mileage. Sweet spot is around 113kmph.
Old 11-01-18, 06:28 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

I wouldn't be ultra concerned about this as driving style affects gas mileage heavily with the GS. The absolute best I've ever done on my '13 AWD is 25mpg doing about 72mph most of the way on a 300 mile trip.

Some good threads on this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-useless.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-eco-mode.html
Old 11-01-18, 07:16 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

my friend has had two of them
he averages of 50,000 miles 16.5 on first one
and 18.1 on his 2018.
that's what they get, thats why i don't drive one doing 30,000 miles a year
fantastic car enjoy it for what it is,dont let the gas mpg get to you or you will lose the cars benenfit
Old 11-01-18, 09:20 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I think this is not the right car for someone who is concerned with gas milage. If you are getting way under the rated mpg then maybe I understand... but I don't buy an AWD luxury car with a big 6 cylinder engine that takes premium gas for the gas milage lol.
Old 11-01-18, 09:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Hold off on contacting the dealer until you drive the car primarily in city stop-n-go traffic and get around 15-18 MPG. Then you will probably be even less happy than you already are now...

The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 09:41 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's a really really dumb question and may just get it out of the way: Is there a Lexus GS model (or any model, even hybrid) which offers engine stop & go capability to boost city MPG? (eg at a stop light, engine shuts off) The commute can easily turn into gas guzzling moments.
Old 11-01-18, 09:46 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm going to put money down with you being disappointed with what the dealer is going to tell you, lol.

If that 400 miles involved a fair amount of stopping and going (or even highway ramp transitions from one to another) 22 is pretty much normal, assuming proper tire inflation. (with temps dropping, this is a major issue) frankly I never use ECO mode on my car unless I'm stuck in stop/go urban traffic. Any other use it pretty much sucks to have it enabled. (although i've never seen an mpg loss from it, the throttle response sucks) Also hope you are using premium gasoline.... if you put the cheap stuff in there, an mpg loss in these kinda cars is pretty much normal.

As a side note back when I used mine for commuting on the reg, even during light traffic days, 85% highway driving, 22-23 was about the best I got. This car will only really punch through 24 roading the car long distances and not stopping...... Like last winter I took my car
from Cambridge to Danbury CT mid afternoon... I tanked up at a service stop on the mass pike about a third of the way through, and even with that whole long drive, round trip on that tank of gas was still only in 25ish realm.

Another example, I have a 55 something mile mostly highway loop I drive at night, at least once or twice a week to get back home from my cigar club. Even that route, with minimal traffic on the road, making one stop (to drop someone off about a mile off the highway) the best I got on that was like 24 ish.... transitioning between different roads a half dozen times in that like 70 minutes that I'm on the road, is enough to drop the mileage. Even if I stop and tank up after the first "leg" is done, most I've ever gotten, intentionally driving pretty
tame, was 24.6.

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 11-01-18 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 09:50 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Here's a really really dumb question and may just get it out of the way: Is there a Lexus GS model (or any model, even hybrid) which offers engine stop & go capability to boost city MPG? (eg at a stop light, engine shuts off) The commute can easily turn into gas guzzling moments.
The hybrid likely does that kind of stuff all the time (smoothly) so if you want it, get a 450H.... the regular car, thank god, no, it doesn't have it. (IMHO that stop start crap really only belongs in a hybrid, it at least makes SENSE there... the battery will make it so that the motor doesn't have to stop and start 48 times to loaf between stoplights).

-Mike
All4Lexus (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 10:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I was averaging over 28mpg on a long trip in my AWD, hit 31.4 at times and this was in a car loaded with luggage that hadn't had a oil/filter change in a while, only took 2 fillups including the one I started off with to reach my destination which took over 12 hours to drive. I over inflated the tires to about 35-36psi, 38 when hot, I put in Redline fuel injector cleaner because it likely was sitting around with old gas, kept the cruise control on as much as I could, tried to keep it under 75, tried to just follow someone going around the same speed with little passing. I was happy with the highway mileage and how the car drove even on the crappy Dunlops. This is not a Prius, 4 cyl econo car, or even 6 cylinder Accord or Camry so expecting very good gas mileage is unrealistic but you can achieve pretty good fuel economy by taking some steps like over inflating tires, avoiding passing, using cruise control more, taking out weight, etc.
Old 11-01-18, 11:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I was averaging over 28mpg on a long trip in my AWD, hit 31.4 at times and this was in a car loaded with luggage that hadn't had a oil/filter change in a while, only took 2 fillups including the one I started off with to reach my destination which took over 12 hours to drive. I over inflated the tires to about 35-36psi, 38 when hot, I put in Redline fuel injector cleaner because it likely was sitting around with old gas, kept the cruise control on as much as I could, tried to keep it under 75, tried to just follow someone going around the same speed with little passing. I was happy with the highway mileage and how the car drove even on the crappy Dunlops. This is not a Prius, 4 cyl econo car, or even 6 cylinder Accord or Camry so expecting very good gas mileage is unrealistic but you can achieve pretty good fuel economy by taking some steps like over inflating tires, avoiding passing, using cruise control more, taking out weight, etc.
Why mention that the car hadn't had a oil/filter change in a while? Do you think that made a difference?
Old 11-01-18, 11:22 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

regarding the stop and go question, i am not aware of a non hybrid model that does in the lexus line up

from reading other forums and my wife has a bmw 5 series, supposedly the start stop function taxes the motor parts like engine mounts, starter etc.

being that lexus and toyota is focus on reliability which is the way it should be is probably why they dont introduce the technology.

my wife car in city mileage with red lights gets about 5-8% better gas mileage with turning on and off,
in my opinion if i leased her car and wasn't concerned long term and was in a mild climate i would use it.
if in a hot climate and owning the car long term i wouldn't

biggest change in fuel economy is with a new air filter. on my ls430 i changed every 15 k and it was dirty. when i changed it i got 1 mpg better for the first 5000 miles with it.
i think its vital to mpg and long term health of any motor.
All4Lexus (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 11:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Lexus offers start/stop tech, but not in their US model cars. I believe the IS has it in Japan.

In the US, the current Highlander has start/stop. I can't think of any other US non-hybrid Toyota model that does.
Old 11-01-18, 11:43 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Lexus offers start/stop tech, but not in their US model cars. I believe the IS has it in Japan.

In the US, the current Highlander has start/stop. I can't think of any other US non-hybrid Toyota model that does.
Here's a summary I found from an April 2011 issue of Car and Driver: It may be out of date but you're correct that it is on the Highlander hybrid.

source: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ined-tech-dept

Quick Reply: Terrible gas mileage on GS350 AWD F-Sport