GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Ever hear that scraping sound you so dread?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 08:00 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ever hear that scraping sound you so dread?

The underground parking garage at my gym has the highest curbs and very tigth turns to get into the garage. I try to turn wide to avoid scraping my right rear wheel on the curb, but it's just really hard to judge. So, today I didn't turn sharp enough and I heard this grinding sound that seemed like it went on forever. Sure enough, 3/4 of the rim of my wheel has curb rash.

I've done that before but no nearly as bad. The downside of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are that they are flush with the wheels and add absolutely no protection. The OEM tires at least stuck out a little. Also, the darker F Sport wheels really show curb rash big time.

Anyway, I'm going in to get my rear wheel refinished for the fourth time when I get my dented aluminum trim replaced.
Old 09-08-14, 09:09 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I always avoid tight parking garages and impossible driveways, I try to park on the streets at those locations.

The BBQ chicken place near my work has this super high driveway, where if u take it at a wrong angle it'll scrape up ur undercarriage. Plus they just resurfaced the parking lot and made it higher. Lowered cars are out. lol

I actually had to make a big sacrifice from going there several days a week to just one day a week cause I have to park on the street. They have street cleaning on Tuesdays so the street is always empty after 11 am on Tuesdays and that's where I park now. I just can't risk scraping a $60K car. lol
Old 09-08-14, 09:53 PM
EndlessRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely hate those steep driveways. Did they seriously expect everyone not to give a damn about their car kissing asphalt? At my workplace, sometimes I go out with my co-workers to this taco place, steepest curbs in the entire world. As soon as someone mentions, "Hey why don't you drive?" I immediately pass.
Old 09-08-14, 10:34 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by EndlessRed
I absolutely hate those steep driveways. Did they seriously expect everyone not to give a damn about their car kissing asphalt? At my workplace, sometimes I go out with my co-workers to this taco place, steepest curbs in the entire world. As soon as someone mentions, "Hey why don't you drive?" I immediately pass.
Oh yes and my passenger door always got caught in those high curbs. Not this car though, but my old Camry and Accord already got their fair share of battle scar on those curbs. Nope, not the Lexus, not in this lifetime!
Old 09-09-14, 06:57 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's why I am considering air suspension in the future--so I can go 4x4 up these ramps. LOL.
Old 09-09-14, 08:02 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Just so i know, what does it cost to have one wheel refinished? The GF rubbed a curb infront of our place, thinking the new GS had the same turning radius as her civic :S. Definitely not getting aftermarket wheels for it now...
Old 09-09-14, 08:29 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

My dealer charges $129 per rim to get it refinished. I had one done a while back and it came out just like new.
Old 09-09-14, 08:59 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

The GS is the only car I've had without curb rash but I only had it four months.
Old 09-09-14, 10:36 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No curb rash for me yet. In fact I don't recall ever actually damaging a rim. But my wife has several times... The day I got my GS I got a bit tipsy at Buffalo Wild Wings and had to let her drive. I was so nervous! But my baby is still rash free. The car wash did scratch my mirror though on it's first wash!
Old 09-09-14, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

For many years I lived in South Florida where the curbs weren't high or were non-existent and I never had wheel rash. The curbs are so ridiculously high in the Dallas metro area and in parking garages it is almost impossible not to damage the rims. I guess they think people can't stay on the roads here, but in reality it is in South Florida where people are always driving into canals.
Old 09-09-14, 08:12 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

im stretched so my rim is fully exposed all around. i don't know what i would do if i scratched my lips.

just be more careful and stop hitting curbs.
Old 09-10-14, 08:10 AM
Velgen
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The underground parking garage at my gym has the highest curbs and very tigth turns to get into the garage. I try to turn wide to avoid scraping my right rear wheel on the curb, but it's just really hard to judge. So, today I didn't turn sharp enough and I heard this grinding sound that seemed like it went on forever. Sure enough, 3/4 of the rim of my wheel has curb rash.

I've done that before but no nearly as bad. The downside of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are that they are flush with the wheels and add absolutely no protection. The OEM tires at least stuck out a little. Also, the darker F Sport wheels really show curb rash big time.

Anyway, I'm going in to get my rear wheel refinished for the fourth time when I get my dented aluminum trim replaced.

My factory wheels came with the Bridgestone Tire and they have that lip protector , unlike the Michelin's. Ive notice in Fort Worth / Dallas area the roads and curbs are way different from S. FL roads , however 70% of people there driving lifted trucks..