GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

From GS to pre-owned RX, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 07:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
BTW, the car seat goes in the middle rear. My seat position is fine and the front passenger seat is fine. All others be damned... LOL!
My wife INSISTS both of them can't share the same seat. Pansies! haha
Old 10-02-14, 06:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

With the one kid, we've always had her car seat in the middle of the RX, and the side of the IS. With the second on the way, we'll have car seats in both cars in the outboard rear positions.
Old 10-02-14, 07:18 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Putting the car seat in the middle of the rear seat places enormous stress on the parent's back when performing the awkward cantilever required to secure or remove the baby/seat. And Mom is usually (or at least often) the one tending baby who is growing stronger (ie. fighting Mom) and heavier every day. You big strong guys need to see the "kid problem" a bit more from her perspective and a bit less from the "don't wanna give up my racer" frame of reference.

The good news is you get your runners back on the other side. Once they're fledged, you're free to fill your stable as you see fit. Might I suggest a nice LS, a GS450h, and maybe a little BMW Z4 for kicks?

Last edited by williakz; 10-02-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 08:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
You big strong guys need to see the "kid problem" a bit more from her perspective and a bit less from the "don't wanna give up my racer" frame of reference.
Indeed we have found that having them in an outboard position saves your back while putting them in, but it then makes it much harder to care for them during the duration of the drive. Having her in the middle makes it much easier to see her and to reach back to her when it's safe to do so.

In addition to that, in rainy climates (like mine), in the outboard position my wife or myself would be standing in the rain while buckling her into her seat, getting soaked. With her in the middle, we can easily slide on in and sit next to her, out of the elements, while we get her buckled in.

So I can ensure you, the position of the car seat has nothing to do with my "don't wanna give up my racer" perspective, or disregard for my wife's perspective, and is all about what we find best for our family.

But as already noted, it all becomes a moot point when you have more than one in car seats.

Last edited by JDR76; 10-02-14 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 09:33 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Putting the car seat in the middle of the rear seat places enormous stress on the parent's back when performing the awkward cantilever required to secure or remove the baby/seat. And Mom is usually (or at least often) the one tending baby who is growing stronger (ie. fighting Mom) and heavier every day. You big strong guys need to see the "kid problem" a bit more from her perspective and a bit less from the "don't wanna give up my racer" frame of reference.

The good news is you get your runners back on the other side. Once they're fledged, you're free to fill your stable as you see fit. Might I suggest a nice LS, a GS450h, and maybe a little BMW Z4 for kicks?
You're right, I should look at it from her perspective. I'm going to tell my wife to start lifting weights to strengthen her back, shoulders and arms. Problem solved.

(I'm so glad she doesn't read this forum. LOL)
Old 10-02-14, 09:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If we only had one they'd be in the center of the rear seat even in a minivan when they are little. Reason being the center of the rear seat is actually the safest place for a car seat to be installed. So even in a Minivan if the seat is installed for maximum safety, Mom is going to have to lean in.

I agree that Minivans are the best choice for a family for a lot of reasons, and like I said we'll be getting one...but they arent the only choice. Plenty of people have babies and kids with SUVs, cars, trucks, etc. The minivan is an American phenomenon...what do they do in Europe or Asia etc where they don't have Minivans? They carry their kids in small cars...and everybody is fine.

Theres a difference between offering advice and being condescending. Presumably there are two decision makers in a household, and a lot of times believe it or not...Mom doesn't want a Minivan. Telling him and others that they're being selfish or injuring their wives because they don't want a Minivan is unfair.
Old 10-02-14, 10:15 AM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the position in the middle of rear seat best for our needs. Not only it allows us to keep a check on her, she also gets a view of the front ( which she likes) and most importantly she doesn't fight with the door unlock handles constantly ( which drives me nuts).
Old 10-02-14, 10:57 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Telling him and others that they're being selfish or injuring their wives because they don't want a Minivan is unfair.
Not meant to be mean or condescending. Addressed specifically to those with the stated or implicit position "you'll never get ME into a minivan." Simple.
Old 10-03-14, 10:16 AM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Not meant to be mean or condescending. Addressed specifically to those with the stated or implicit position "you'll never get ME into a minivan." Simple.
Even these words sound condescending .... LOL.
Old 10-03-14, 01:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pamiboy
Even these words sound condescending .... LOL.
Absolutely. If your goal was to not sound condescending WIll you've failed spectacularly.

Bottom line...if someone has kids and doesn't get a minivan...they'll be fine. Minivans add a lot of convenience to traveling with kids IMHO, but many many people travel in other sorts of vehicles and are fine. You HAVE to have carseats. You don't HAVE to have a minivan.
Old 10-03-14, 07:33 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely. If your goal was to not sound condescending WIll you've failed spectacularly.

Bottom line...if someone has kids and doesn't get a minivan...they'll be fine. Minivans add a lot of convenience to traveling with kids IMHO, but many many people travel in other sorts of vehicles and are fine. You HAVE to have carseats. You don't HAVE to have a minivan.
I like your take on this.
Old 10-13-14, 12:10 AM
Rbradleysd
Driver School Candidate

Update!

We got one of our car seats as a gift yesterday, it was waiting for us when we got home. So...we installed it in both cars to see how well it fits.

Heh heh.

So this is a Cybex Aton Q, which is like the smallest infant seat you can buy, its very compact. I'm 6' and my wife is 5'10. In the GS, with either front seat adjusted so that it doesn't touch the seat installed directly behind it our heads do not fit underneath the headliner. As in, we have to sit with our heads cocked sideways. It does fit in the center and does not touch either seat adjusted for comfort, which surprised me. So, with one installed in the center its doable. But, with that seat installed in the center niether outboard rear passenger can sit with their shoulders squared, nor can you really leave the base installed and use those seats since the base takes up a quarter of each outboard rear seat.

So...with two there is no way we can use the GS to ever take the family anywhere. We can take one somewhere in a pinch.

Moving on to the Jeep. The seat does not fit behind the driver with the driver's seat adjusted for comfort for either of us. It does sit in the middle and one behind the front passenger fine, the passenger seat has to be adjusted forward but thats not as big a deal as the driver because of the position of the pedals. Oddly enough even in the Jeep you have to adjust the drivers seat a little forward because it does touch the edge of the baby seat when installed in the middle. Once we have to go to a rear facing convertible seat...I just don't see how that would be doable even in the Jeep, and definately not in the GS.

Like I said, there is significantly more space between the rear seat and the front seats in the RX than in the Jeep, so it may be okay. You might want to look at an Infiniti QX60 too, very adaptable inside for an SUV.

So...sadly I foresee a minivan.
Wow that is crazy! The backseat of the GS seems so spacious. Does the Jeep's rear seat adjust fore/aft like my Q5 does?

I got rid of my GS a few months ago with 11k on the ODO. CarMax beat the Lexus Dealer (39K) BUT Audi offered me 40,500 which I obviously jumped at & considering I paid 48k for it a year ago I didn't think that was to bad of a loss
Old 10-13-14, 06:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, rear seats recline but the base doesn't move fore-aft in the Jeep.
Old 10-13-14, 07:54 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did not read evey post of this thread, only the first few and last few so...

Every new parent does this. "I'm becoming a parent, omg I need a bigger car!" I've had about 25 vehicles in the past 8 years, nothing older than 2007. I've been a parent of 2 babies for three years now. The GS is plenty big. I know a lady who has three toddlers and has no complaints with a maxima. Funny thing is, I fell victim to this train of thought, went out and bought a new suburban after our first born. It was great but we wanted something smaller and more "fun" so we got an Explorer Sport. Smallest backseat ever. Next to our Grand Cherokee. Surprising our 4Runner has the biggest back seat of any of our very many vehicles we have had. Back to my point, I would not get rid of my GS for a mommy mobile. It's all in your head that you need it at first. Then reality will hit you and you'll want something else again. The GS is a big car, it fits the double stroller and our largest suitcase in the trunk. Our Grand Cherokee wouldn't even fit the double stroller. And the mommy mobiles, we'll leave them to the mommies. Having babies doesn't mean you have to abandon everything. Cars still work. Especially big ones like the GS.

And this is funny, my wife wants to downsize with two babies down to a Kia Optima SX-L. She's never even had a car before...
Old 10-13-14, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is advice I have been given by many people I know who are already parents. Resist the urge to buy a bunch of ***** you think you need that you actually wont. Items listed were swings and boppies and things that sing and move and expensive baby furniture, and a big car. Half of that crap the kids won't even use or like, and the rest of it you just don't need and takes up space. But...all these people have one baby...not two...or two that were not both infants at the same time.

I can say for 100% certainty that my GS would not serve as a family vehicle for us with twins. A rear facing car seat could go in the center of the rear seat just fine, and the trunk is plenty big for stroller, suitcases, etc. But, I physically cannot sit in the car with the driver's seat adjusted so that a rear facing infant seat can be behind me. My head is in the headliner. My wife is also tall, and while she can contort herself to where she can fit in the passenger seat, its not comfortable. So for 1, yeah the GS would be okay. But for two in rear facing seats, no way.

If the GS was our primary family vehicle, we would trade it immediately. Yes its a great car, and its very enjoyable, but to me the difficulty it would bring when we do try to go somewhere as a family would outweigh the enjoyment I would have when I get to drive it myself. For $60,000 I can buy something that is enjoyable AND has the space my family needs to be comfortable.

The Jeep is another story. It will work fine...but my ultimate goal is to have a vehicle that we really can travel in comfortably and take who and what we want with us. Long term thats not the Jeep.

My desire to have a three row vehicle though existed before we had twins coming. With the twins coming one person can sit behind the driver with one seat in the middle and one behind the passenger. But, if we want to take two people with us, we need another car. My mother travels with us on trips and such, and we'll probably need another car for comfort and space without a roof carrier or something like that on the Jeep.

For us I see a three row vehicle in our future, most likely a minivan. Luckily, I won't have to drive it as our primary car...and my wife doesn't really care what she drives. I was pretty set on a Honda Odyssey, but the refreshed Sienna looks nice and also comes in AWD with radar cruise, which my wife really wants. The new Kia Sedona looks very nice too, with a more crossover like layout upfront and also the tech my wife wants. No clue why the Odyssey is missing radar cruise.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-13-14 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: From GS to pre-owned RX, suggestions?