GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS in the SNOW (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 12:13 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
My awd gs is so so with Michelin all season tires. I got separate set of winter wheels and Bridgestone blizzaks lm32 and the car is fantastic. You need winter tires especially with rwd version. All season tires don't cut it
How do you like the LM-32s? I'm considering getting them for this winter.
Old 10-26-14, 12:15 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
How do you like the LM-32s? I'm considering getting them for this winter.
They are fantastic. The car can claw itself in deep snow and grip the ice well. I like how the handling feels with these tires. It feels better then my Michelins. The tires are smooth and quiet for a winter tire. They also have great grip along the turns and allows the car VDS system to keep it in check. I barely get much ABS intervention too. I swear by Blizzaks.
Old 10-26-14, 09:03 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 10-27-14, 06:33 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you absolutely have to drive in the snow in the RWD, at the very minimum, add weight to the trunk - a few sandbags (well sealed so the sand doesn't end up in the trunk). The additional weight should give you some traction on the rear wheels. Better than nothing.

Winter tires would obviously be a better option, but will be costlier (especially if you don't need them besides this one trip)
Old 10-27-14, 07:03 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
If you absolutely have to drive in the snow in the RWD, at the very minimum, add weight to the trunk - a few sandbags (well sealed so the sand doesn't end up in the trunk). The additional weight should give you some traction on the rear wheels. Better than nothing.

Winter tires would obviously be a better option, but will be costlier (especially if you don't need them besides this one trip)
I was thinking of going in Dec. but now I am not so sure its a good idea. The tires I have are summer, and yes bags will help but I don't think its good enough unless I swap the tires.
Old 10-27-14, 07:16 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

It doesn't snow that much up here. If you're lucky enough you may not have to deal with snow at all when you get up here.

Ed
Old 10-27-14, 08:29 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive RWD GS all year long and have no single problem on snow. But winter tires are essential! I hadn't problem with 3G GS300 even with 4G GS now. All the publicity about necessity AWD are just marketing bull****s about "active lifestyle". And if you live in mountains area you have true offroad and not luxury sedan for winter rides. On icy roads won't save you any AWD system and for the rest is RWD with good winter tires enough.
Old 10-27-14, 08:53 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

My 2014 AWD GS F-Sport did great last year in the Boston area. It was a tough winter. I disagree that RWD is good enough in the Northeast in the winter. You may get by with Blizzaks but the AWD helps out tremendously in snowy conditions with a few inches on the road, especially inclines.
Old 10-27-14, 10:14 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To echo many of the comments made here, it's going to depend on a few things. First would be skills. If you can't drive on a dry road, a slippery road only makes the problems worse. Second would be where you intend to drive the car. If you're along the coast where it doesn't really snow very much (compared to other parts of the state), then the risk is somewhat lower that you're going to have a problem. But if you intend to drive into the higher elevations of the state where it's not especially flat then traction without AWD and/or snow tires could become an issue. Last, I think I would take the risk if you're not going to be north very long. If you're going to be in and out in a few days in early December, then probably not a big deal (we all hope so anyway). If you're going to be here for a few weeks or more, then you might need to reconsider and go ahead a put snow tires on the car.

I live in Western PA near the ski resort area and I drive an AWD with Blizzak winter tires. That combination is fantastic in snow as long it's not more than around 6 inches. Any more than that, I hop into the Tundra and use it instead. Fact of the matter is, even if you decide to make the drive on all season tires you'll probably be OK as long as the weather cooperates and you're not in the higher terrain. What's more, you should be able to buy a set of winter tires once you get there or even along the way should the weather take a turn for the worse. Good luck!
Old 10-27-14, 10:56 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent most of my life driving in NY state area, I am not going to change my tires for one trip. I have no idea how the weather is going to be in December, I do know that it always snows b/n Dec- end of Jan.

I don't think it safe for me to drive up there on my summer Bridgestone's.
Old 10-27-14, 11:03 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I spend enough time in the winter pushing stuck people on all season tires to never drive on them in the winter again. Modern electronics make it even more difficult, i have unstuck countless people just by turning their traction control off. I'm picking up a set of WS80's for the GS.

Last edited by GregCanada; 10-27-14 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 11:07 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

I agree. All seasons are jacks of all trades master of none. Im getting Michelin xice 3 for my 2012 audi a8l for my 19 inch winterset.
Old 10-27-14, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Just FYI, that GS is equipped with snow tires. The RWD GS with snow tires will be great, allseasons or especially summers...entirely different.

Originally Posted by ZbynekZ
I drive RWD GS all year long and have no single problem on snow. But winter tires are essential! I hadn't problem with 3G GS300 even with 4G GS now. All the publicity about necessity AWD are just marketing bull****s about "active lifestyle". And if you live in mountains area you have true offroad and not luxury sedan for winter rides. On icy roads won't save you any AWD system and for the rest is RWD with good winter tires enough.
The key with what you are saying is "with winter tires". The OP isn't talking about driving his RWD GS in NY with winter tires...he's talking about driving it in the snow potentially on summer tires. Entirely different.

I'd rather drive a RWD car with winter tires than the same car in AWD on all season tires, or certainly summer tires. To me the benefit of AWD in a vehicle like the GS is that where I live it doesn't make sense to run winter tires...we have alternating above 40 and snowy/freezing weather all winter. So...having AWD makes the car drivable when it does get cold and snowy at least.

If I lived in a more wintery climate I'd run winter tires even on our AWD vehicles.
Old 10-27-14, 11:38 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

As a side note, they are prediciting a strong el nino winter which is milder and less snow in midwest and east coast compared to last year. We have experience this with a mild dec and barely or no snow. So I wouldnt be too concerned if the OP is going in dec for a short time.
Old 10-27-14, 01:10 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
As a side note, they are prediciting a strong el nino winter which is milder and less snow in midwest and east coast compared to last year. We have experience this with a mild dec and barely or no snow. So I wouldnt be too concerned if the OP is going in dec for a short time.
For those of us who are not visiting, it doesn't really matter because we have to get ready anyway
I've already seen flakes so I've put snow tires (blizzaks) on my Tacoma, the Tundra, and the RX, bought a pallet of salt and the GS goes in next week for it's blizzaks. I hope it's a mild winter but in the mountains facing the lake, it's going to get white anyway it just affects the size of the plow piles.

For all that mention not driving on summer tires, I'll agree. They are useless on snow even on the very best equipment.

Quick Reply: GS in the SNOW (merged threads)