GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Discrete (spy) video recorder...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 09:47 AM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Discrete (spy) video recorder...

Hi guys,

It's a long shot... I know. Just wondering whether any of you did install some sort of hidden video recorder device in the car.

I park at a garage here in nyc, and I'm sick and tired that the valet people sit in for long period of time (especially in the winter), with the car's power on for AC or heat. I know it because both seats are usually been moved, radio station changed to whatever frequency, among other things...

I want to catch them in the act.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-26-14, 11:25 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

How long do u plan to record? I have a Sony ActionCam that I can mount or hide it anywhere in the car and it can record for about 10 hrs on battery. I use it as a dash cam and it's small enough for a surveillance camera that u won't see it and it's cheaper than the GoPro.
Old 10-26-14, 01:13 PM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That cam seems too big and visible and it could be stolen... It has to be very discrete.

10 hours is more than enough if it activates with a motion sensor.

It would be sweet if Lexus (or other luxury car makers) could have a factory installed camera!

Thanks for the suggestion thou.
Old 10-26-14, 11:59 PM
Voogru
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
That cam seems too big and visible and it could be stolen... It has to be very discrete.

10 hours is more than enough if it activates with a motion sensor.

It would be sweet if Lexus (or other luxury car makers) could have a factory installed camera!

Thanks for the suggestion thou.
I'm not sure why dash cameras are not installed in cars, they are dirt cheap. They already have a rear camera that could always be recording, adding a front one would be easy.

However, there may be legal issues. The other thing is I don't want anyone to know I have a recording, as the goal is to prevent abuse. If they know there is a recording, they may try to take it from you by force, illegally of course, but it will land you in jail with an arrest record for your trouble.

Like this poor girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFjOnmd1oss

The best course of action is to install one yourself, I have one mounted behind the rear view mirror, you can't see it from the driving position, and if it gets tampered with I know.
Old 10-27-14, 12:06 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a dashcam rear view in my 2GS thats pretty discreet only one person has noticed so far. Smaller dashcams can be bought

Old 10-29-14, 11:20 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the Hobby king ( online hobby store) they sell cheap ( China) pen style cameras. Very small and discrete.
They have a few different versions. I bought one for my RC 1/8 buggy, that needed to be small and high def so I could record my laps on the race track!

If memory serves me it was like $50
Old 10-29-14, 11:28 AM
lucidspoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
I park at a garage here in nyc, and I'm sick and tired that the valet people sit in for long period of time (especially in the winter), with the car's power on for AC or heat. I know it because both seats are usually been moved, radio station changed to whatever frequency, among other things...
Ever see the episode of Seinfeld with the parking lot and prostitutes?