GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 10:05 PM
Ravishah89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Speakers

Hi guys, I just bought a 2013 GS350 AWD. I absolutely love the car but hate a few things in it. Mainly it's the sound system in here, it's pretty much crap. I have the normal speakers not the Mark Levastine. I had an 08 Audi A6 prior to this car and my audi had Bose. Does anyone know what speakers I can get and replace in this car. I want to replace them all to get the nice clarity my Bose speakers gave me. I like to blast my music a bit but By no means do I want my trunk rattling, just something nice and crisp, it bumps a little like the Bose and where I can enjoy my music. I appreciate your guy's help. Thanks!
Old 10-31-14, 07:53 AM
tknx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Levastine -> Levinson.

This is a huge topic - budget? DIY or using an installer? I'd suggest starting with an EQ like an Audison Bit Ten and then replacing the speakers next.
Old 11-02-14, 09:24 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Try adding a sub first. That will make it sound 10 times better. Also, make sure surround mode is on. When it's off it makes the music sound way too flat.
Old 11-03-14, 05:35 AM
Ravishah89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a DIY person, wish I was that handy. As far as adding a sub, I wouldn't mind but I don't want it to bang plus I also want it to sound crisp. My budget, I'm not looking to spend too much. I can go as far as maybe $1500 give or take a few bucks.
Old 11-03-14, 07:11 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The only thing you can do with 1500 is add a nice sub. 1500 will not get you better sound through the speakers unless you do it yourself.

You would need a JL cleansweep or LCI7, a 4 or 6 channel amp, new speakers all around, etc. which would probably be 3-4k minimum.

You should be able to get a nice sub installed for 1500.
Old 11-03-14, 09:23 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the clean sweep man
even clean sweep with oem speakers is a night and day difference lol

i got the clean sweep and a 12" w7 for 3k installed

Originally Posted by GregCanada
The only thing you can do with 1500 is add a nice sub. 1500 will not get you better sound through the speakers unless you do it yourself.

You would need a JL cleansweep or LCI7, a 4 or 6 channel amp, new speakers all around, etc. which would probably be 3-4k minimum.

You should be able to get a nice sub installed for 1500.
Old 11-03-14, 01:27 PM
tknx
Intermediate

@neegroy - did you install your 12" as an IB in the stock rear deck spot? Or in the trunk or footwell?
Old 11-03-14, 04:25 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
@neegroy - did you install your 12" as an IB in the stock rear deck spot? Or in the trunk or footwell?
Check out this guy's install:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...icker-amp.html
That's what i would do.

IB is a huge paint to get to sound right, and footwell will mess up your floor mat fitment. Go trunk.
Old 11-03-14, 07:02 PM
tknx
Intermediate

My understanding is that IB really depends on sealing the trunk off from the cabin. I am new to car audio upgrades and have spent way to much time reading about group delay, etc and am still no closer to an ideal solution.

I want deep (down to 20Hz) and integrated with the ML system, and I don't care too much about SPL per se. That is why I was thinking dual 15" in the rear deck for IB. I could do 2 12 inchers in sealed perhaps.
Old 11-03-14, 07:33 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neegroy
+1 on the clean sweep man
even clean sweep with oem speakers is a night and day difference lol

i got the clean sweep and a 12" w7 for 3k installed
was one clean sweep enough for your sub and all OEM speakers? Thinking about a 12" w7 also. Are you running iit with a JL 1000/1 amp?
Old 11-08-14, 05:48 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

don't run the JL clean sweep, lc7i. Those are jus basic processors. They are only good for summing all your channels to make a flat eq. If your planning to change your speakers and the whole 9 yards. I recommend products from audison, mosconi, arc audio, rf 360.3, and the new brax stuff. They are more advance and will give u more tuning for better sound. I'm currently using the audison bit one with rainbow platinum components in the front, audison voce subs and voce amps. I also own a audison bit tune and I got my car to sound awesome. It jus takes time and some patience with tuning and u can make your gs sound really good .
Old 11-08-14, 07:38 AM
tknx
Intermediate

$1500 won't get you much. I might agree that a more advanced EQ might be the way to go. The cheapest option would be a JBL MS-8.

Audison Bit One or Helix DSP or Mosconi 6to8 would also be options. But getting it installed and tuned may take you over the $1500 mark.

If it is really just the bottom end - you can add a trunk sub in that budget if you are willing to have a box in there and not a nice integrated install like the one GregCanada posted. You'd probably have to go used on the sub and box - but there are always plenty on craigslist.

If you decide to replace drivers, you will need to match impedences and ranges since you will otherwise really unbalance the sound. And i suspect you would still be unhappy.
Old 06-11-16, 05:10 AM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys...I know this is an old thread but stumbled on it while searching.

I just bought a CPO GS350 AWD FSport. I want to upgrade the sound. It looks like a 10" sub+amp combo and a Cleansweep (or something similar) is the first step...

Can anyone elaborate on the cleansweep and competitors or alternatives? Is this component a DIY install or does it need to be professionally tuned?

I haven't messed with car audio in years and I am not knowledgable at all about this particular piece...although it sounds crucial!
Old 06-13-16, 01:00 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rmklotz4
Hey guys...I know this is an old thread but stumbled on it while searching.

I just bought a CPO GS350 AWD FSport. I want to upgrade the sound. It looks like a 10" sub+amp combo and a Cleansweep (or something similar) is the first step...

Can anyone elaborate on the cleansweep and competitors or alternatives? Is this component a DIY install or does it need to be professionally tuned?

I haven't messed with car audio in years and I am not knowledgable at all about this particular piece...although it sounds crucial!
If your planning to fully upgrade your entire system. I recommend the helix dsp pro, best processor in the market. I went from bit ten to bitone and even mosconi. Now I have the dsp pro. If your sticking to jus subs. Cleansweep, lc6i or even 7i will do the job as those will sum all your ch.
Old 06-13-16, 06:11 AM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

So in my mind, I would put in a 10" sub to take the low-end load off of the factory speakers.

Any opinion on which is better of the Cleansweep, lc6i or 7i ?

Quick Reply: New Speakers