GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 07:41 AM
brandonkp1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spiveyb
Finally got my windshield done!
what percent did you get it?
Old 11-23-16, 11:01 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonkp1
what percent did you get it?

35 percent. I was considering going lighter at first but glad I didn't.
Old 01-30-17, 04:37 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,153 Likes on 851 Posts
Default Window Tint Regulation

Just went for an inspection here in NYC and was told that there is a new rule in effect as of Jan 1, 2017 here in NYS that requires each inspection station to now inspect a car's tint to ensure it meets NYS regulations. That regulation is to have 70% light or more pass through all windows/front windshield. The rear windshield can be as dark as you want as long as your car has side-view mirrors. If your tint is too dark, you fail inspection and must get your tint remove/redone and then retry your inspection.

Im pretty sure i have 35% tint which is not within the legal limits. I was just curious as to if anyone has had their state inspection done (especially here in NY) and if they failed inspection due to tint being too dark...
Old 01-30-17, 09:33 PM
DJP333
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought my 2015 GS F sport in November 2016. When I took it into my local Lexus dealer for some work, the service agent asked me if I had bought the car with the present tint, which I had. He told me the same thing, that before my next inspection (Nov 2017) I will probably have to get my front window tint redone because it is too dark. My car had come from California.
Old 01-31-17, 12:50 AM
a131421
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJP333
I just bought my 2015 GS F sport in November 2016. When I took it into my local Lexus dealer for some work, the service agent asked me if I had bought the car with the present tint, which I had. He told me the same thing, that before my next inspection (Nov 2017) I will probably have to get my front window tint redone because it is too dark. My car had come from California.
May i ask how much you paid for it if you don't mind, i'm looking for the exactly same car.
Old 01-31-17, 06:59 AM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

No state inspection FTW!
Old 01-31-17, 07:06 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 40% Huper-Optik ceramic tint, I hope this dies down before fall.
Old 01-31-17, 07:18 AM
DJP333
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by a131421
May i ask how much you paid for it if you don't mind, i'm looking for the exactly same car.
I got it for $37,900 less my trade in. It was a 2015 F sport / 14,500 miles / Mark Levinson / Blind Spot Monitor / Park Assist / Auto-folding mirrors / Nebula Grey ext. / Cabernet int.

I purchased the car from Autocentrix, he has a few F Sports right now: http://www.autocentrix.com/web/inven.../All_vehicles/

Last edited by DJP333; 01-31-17 at 08:18 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-31-17, 07:34 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Just went for an inspection here in NYC and was told that there is a new rule in effect as of Jan 1, 2017 here in NYS that requires each inspection station to now inspect a car's tint to ensure it meets NYS regulations. That regulation is to have 70% light or more pass through all windows/front windshield. The rear windshield can be as dark as you want as long as your car has side-view mirrors. If your tint is too dark, you fail inspection and must get your tint remove/redone and then retry your inspection.

Im pretty sure i have 35% tint which is not within the legal limits. I was just curious as to if anyone has had their state inspection done (especially here in NY) and if they failed inspection due to tint being too dark...
The ricers and heavy-mod folks here in VA just go underground and find whoever will sell them a current inspection sticker (usually more than just tint affecting their plight). Nat saying you s-h-o-u-l-d circumvent the inspection process, but maybe you should think about it. For as much as tint costs to apply, it'd be a thought for me.
Old 01-31-17, 09:19 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MustangSal
The ricers and heavy-mod folks here in VA just go underground and find whoever will sell them a current inspection sticker (usually more than just tint affecting their plight). Nat saying you s-h-o-u-l-d circumvent the inspection process, but maybe you should think about it. For as much as tint costs to apply, it'd be a thought for me.
Yeah I here you - there are definitely places that don't care and will pass a car as long as there are no error codes...they usually don't even do the "visual inspection" of the car.

The guy at the inspection station said he didn't have a meter/cam to read the tint yet so he let it go. The requirement went into effect at the beginning of this month in NY. However, he said next year when I come back, it may be a problem.
Old 01-31-17, 03:33 PM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The legal tint regulations are different per state, check out www.tintlaws.com. In MA, they have always cared about the tint percentage during inspections but there were always known places that you could go to and throw the guy $50 to pass you. Around here though, I'd be more nervous about getting pulled over by the cops, which has happened to me in the past. I had a coupe with 20% tint on the back and little rear windows and was driving with the front windows open when i got pulled over. I had 35% on the front 2 windows which are the only ones they can test cause they need to roll down and the cop was dead confused when the tester read that it was within legal limits. He did cite me for a couple of other things like taillight tint and a modified exhaust though.
Old 01-31-17, 06:25 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
thankfully, VA doesn't inspect for tint, but my realtor told me about a shop that was lenient on testing cars for an extra $20
The following users liked this post:
MustangSal (04-24-17)
Old 02-01-17, 10:00 AM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Ditto for VA - I just have the guys at the dealership do my state inspection and they're pretty lenient.
The following users liked this post:
MustangSal (04-24-17)
Old 02-01-17, 11:16 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Legal in Texas for the front two is 35%. I have 20% and haven't had any issues so far. I even had the local Lexus dealer inspect my car when I needed to get my state inspection renewed and they didn't say anything. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 02-02-17, 12:37 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Legal in Texas for the front two is 35%. I have 20% and haven't had any issues so far. I even had the local Lexus dealer inspect my car when I needed to get my state inspection renewed and they didn't say anything. Hopefully it stays that way.
I think the inspection stations used by the Lexus dealerships are VERY easy going about issues. My car had brake/rotor issues that should have been caught (and failed) by the inspection agent but were not...my car was sold to me as CPO too!

Nonetheless, I didn't actually get the inspection done when I went, but when my inspection is up in a few months, if the inspection agent gives me enough of a headache, i'll either remove my tint or try to find a more "lenient" inspection station.

Quick Reply: 4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)