GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 06:45 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 317 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Correct, you will be able to tint the windshield for sure. My friend has his Audi S6 windshield tinted and there are no problems,he has the driver assistance package which is similar to Lexus. I don't want to tint mine in fear of getting pulled over with the new car. What percentage are you thinking for your car.
a 50% ceramic tint on the windshield (or even 70% if you really don't want to chance it) isn't going to be noticeable enough to get pulled over for, but will do wonders for controlling cabin temps when parked in the sun on a summer day and preventing sun fade in your interior. It basically removes the need to put the annoying windshield reflector up when you park.

I wouldn't go darker than 50% on the windshield for safety purposes when driving at night anyhow.
The following users liked this post:
fs90rt (12-19-18)
Old 12-19-18, 07:59 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
a 50% ceramic tint on the windshield (or even 70% if you really don't want to chance it) isn't going to be noticeable enough to get pulled over for, but will do wonders for controlling cabin temps when parked in the sun on a summer day and preventing sun fade in your interior. It basically removes the need to put the annoying windshield reflector up when you park.

I wouldn't go darker than 50% on the windshield for safety purposes when driving at night anyhow.
Very true, forgot about that I might get that done.
Old 12-19-18, 08:06 AM
enguyen88
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 70% ceramic on the whole windshield of my GS and NX. The tint shop tinted around all the sensors behind the rear view mirror. It shouldn't interfere with it.
fs90rt (12-19-18)
Old 12-19-18, 08:35 AM
fs90rt
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
They tint the inside of the windshield, but lay it on the outside first to make cuts. The tint installer would cut an opening for the front view camera, so it would not interfere at all. If I didn't have any inspection stickers on the windshield I would have tinted it 50 or 70%
Thank you for the response!

Originally Posted by charley95
Nice car! If it's RWD it's a pretty rare bird with triples.
It is a RWD, its what my sales lady brought in for me!

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Correct, you will be able to tint the windshield for sure. My friend has his Audi S6 windshield tinted and there are no problems,he has the driver assistance package which is similar to Lexus. I don't want to tint mine in fear of getting pulled over with the new car. What percentage are you thinking for your car.
I just wanted the air 80 windshield tint. I just wanted it for heat rejection.

Originally Posted by np20412

Plan on going with the air 80.

Originally Posted by enguyen88
I have 70% ceramic on the whole windshield of my GS and NX. The tint shop tinted around all the sensors behind the rear view mirror. It shouldn't interfere with it.
Awesome this is great news, thank you!
Old 12-19-18, 08:59 AM
dTxworld
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

nice ride! wish i had the same lights!
Old 12-19-18, 12:29 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Funny I was reading an article this morning on the Company that make those giant car bow ties.
They're based here in Southern California. They've been providing Lexus with those bow since they started doing "December to Remember" ads.

And as others have mentioned, windshield tinting shouldn't be a problem if your installer make a cut around the sensors.
Our '17 MDX windshield is tinted 70% Crystalline. All the safety stuff works just fine. Keeps the car noticeably cooler during the hot summers.
I wouldn't tint windshield with anything darker than 70% or risk getting a ticket. at 70% it's barely noticeable.
fs90rt (12-19-18)
Old 12-19-18, 04:48 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I had my 17 windshield tinted. No problems. Only problem was a month after I had it tinted a rock destroyed the windshield. :-). I haven’t had it retinted yet.
fs90rt (12-19-18)
Old 12-19-18, 06:09 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

dealer doesn't know what they're talking about. no tint person is going to remove the camera to apply tint. the only concern anyone has is if its legal or not in the state to have windshield tinted but like other people have said if you go 70% or higher its not noticeable. I was originally gonna go with 90% but the shop showed me 70% and your really can't tell the difference with crystalline.
fs90rt (12-20-18)
Old 12-19-18, 06:55 PM
fs90rt
Driver School Candidate

I thought of one more question, will my heads up display be affected by the tint?
Old 12-19-18, 06:59 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

it won't impact it at all. you may see some haze if you wear polarized sunglasses but thats it. did you custom order cause there can't be that many options in HI.
fs90rt (12-19-18)
Old 12-19-18, 07:09 PM
fs90rt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by baconRx
it won't impact it at all. you may see some haze if you wear polarized sunglasses but thats it. did you custom order cause there can't be that many options in HI.
Not really, I went in on black friday wanting an ultra white gs 350 fsport and she did there rest. It has the HUD, DRS, safety system, lane keep assist and power trunk, triple beam and mark levinson

Thank you!!!
Old 12-28-18, 04:23 PM
lex2envy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huper optik ceramic 40 all around

Air 80
Old 12-28-18, 06:35 PM
fs90rt
Driver School Candidate

Nice, thank you!
Old 04-02-19, 01:50 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Window Tinting

Moved from NJ to SC and absolutely had to get window tinting. Went with Llumar Air 80 on front windshield and Llumar Pinnacle 30% on other windows including rear window. Really does improve appearance of car but more importantly will provide UV protection and heat resistance.
Old 04-02-19, 02:18 PM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tompass
Moved from NJ to SC and absolutely had to get window tinting. Went with Llumar Air 80 on front windshield and Llumar Pinnacle 30% on other windows including rear window. Really does improve appearance of car but more importantly will provide UV protection and heat resistance.
Yeah, I don't know how anyone can not have tint (personal preference, not some attack towards anyone). I'd have it even if I lived in Vermont. The UV protection is great and you don't have to drive around like you're in a fishbowl. A sunshade for the windshield is key, even with tint. Lastly, in the south, remember to look for the shady parking spots. Im willing to park pretty far away so long as it's in the shade.
The following 2 users liked this post by waygreen:
kode3 (04-02-19), tompass (04-02-19)

Quick Reply: 4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)