GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Infotainment system freezing on 2015 f sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 02:29 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Might have spoke too soon when I said no problems here in my 2015. I had the system freeze twice on the same day and trip. Had to do a hard reset to get it to work again. It happened when I had Nav guidance, Bluetooth connected, and USB for iPod. It froze when I tried to change playlists, but unfortunately I wasn't able to demo it again. It has happened a couple more times since that day, but still not sure how to make it happen consistently. I've notified the dealer and they were surprised, but they said no updates or fixes yet.

Technician told me that if it happens again, hit menu button 10 times and the car takes a snapshot of all the systems. Then dealer can go in, download it, and send it Lexus for further research.
Old 04-03-15, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ohface
Mine has frozen twice and I have 1,000 miles. Guess I should take it in?
i managed to crash mine the first day i got the car (within 30 mins when i was going through menus)
Old 04-07-15, 05:40 PM
ivanwang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2015 ES 350 had same issue, but my car does not have a navigation. 500 miles already, frozen two times! I just worry about that audio system will be totally dead later. Anyone got this fixed?
Old 04-08-15, 12:13 PM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

I've had my 2015 GS for 2 months and can say that the infotainment system is terrible and I'm extremely disappointed. It's nice to have bells and whistles...when they work. Enform is an awful and buggy system that is good in theory and that's about it. Even my salesman said its worthless when I took delivery. I can't use enform with my IPhone 6+ plugged in and it won't connect unless I do it manually. Has anyone watched the how to video in the app? It hasn't been updated since the release of Enform for the '13 model 4GS!

Bluetooth has issues playing through the radio...it won't connect half the time and I have to hit play on my phone to start the music via Bluetooth.

Every time I have played music through my iPhone with it connected, it stops playing after about 10 min and says iPod error.

If this car wasn't so beautiful, I would let my wife drive it everyday and go back to my M37 that doesn't have any of these issues. Very disappointing Lexus...very disappointing.
Old 04-08-15, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

seriously i installed and removed my enform app within the first week.

and i never even bother with the BT iphone streaming. put it this way. lexus started having usb / ipod playback since 2010 (which was years after competitors already) and considering how long it took them to make usb plugged in ipod system works well, i wouldn't even try BT. that's why i just have an ipod connected all the time and still with that, ipod errors at times.

i am curious if any 2015 owners have tried the ipod video playback and got it to work? i never bothered but i found it funny how the whole manual seems to avoid the details as much as possible
Old 04-08-15, 03:25 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 413 Likes on 251 Posts

I have 2015 also and mine freezes too or/well mine, the mouse pointer disappears. I move the joy stick all around, press menu map nothing so i just restart the car/ reboot and its back. 3 or 4 times and the car is 4 months young....
Old 04-08-15, 04:01 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

No need to turn off the car; to restart the system when it freezes or bugs out, just push and hold the volume until the screen turns off.
Old 04-08-15, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dchar
No need to turn off the car; to restart the system when it freezes or bugs out, just push and hold the volume until the screen turns off.
good to know, i am sure it will come in handy for a lot of people

so once it turns off, it will reset and turn back on?
Old 04-08-15, 09:45 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
good to know, i am sure it will come in handy for a lot of people

so once it turns off, it will reset and turn back on?
Exactly. You'll see your startup image again after the screen turns off.
Old 04-08-15, 09:49 PM
maroonsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
lexus started having usb / ipod playback since 2010 (which was years after competitors already) and considering how long it took them to make usb plugged in ipod system works well, i wouldn't even try BT.
USB playback is terrible on the GS. Every time I turn the engine on, the system re-reads the usb stick's content. Sometimes, the song ends before it finishes rereading the USB stick and it defaults to the playback of the first file on the stick. Folder browsing is also terribly executed: instead of the list of all the folders on the drive, just keep the structure the user has. It's way easier to navigate your own built structure than find a folder in an unorganized list.
Old 04-08-15, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dchar
Exactly. You'll see your startup image again after the screen turns off.
nice, i can't wait to try it next time

Originally Posted by maroonsky
USB playback is terrible on the GS. Every time I turn the engine on, the system re-reads the usb stick's content. Sometimes, the song ends before it finishes rereading the USB stick and it defaults to the playback of the first file on the stick. Folder browsing is also terribly executed: instead of the list of all the folders on the drive, just keep the structure the user has. It's way easier to navigate your own built structure than find a folder in an unorganized list.
you are brave, i didn't even dare to try. i just put in the usb ipod cable and be done with it
Old 04-09-15, 01:31 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

I just plug in and leave my 10 year old iPod connected and it works every time. Folders remain organized the way I have it on iTunes and the car doesn't need anytime to load. Maybe the problem is that USB sticks aren't really media players. Consider buying a cheap iPod on eBay? I wonder if it works well with other music players.
Old 04-09-15, 08:39 PM
maroonsky
Driver School Candidate

I had no such issues with the USB stick in my previous non-Lexus. I'm just puzzled by Lexus' poor execution. And don't even get me started with an inability to read id3 tags. It's 2015 and a luxury car's entertainment system can't read id3 tags on mp3 files.

Last edited by maroonsky; 04-09-15 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 09:03 PM
laura92
Driver School Candidate

Hey did you figure out what's going on? I just got my IS yesterday and I had this same issues when I was driving
Old 04-10-15, 05:23 AM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Weird. I have 650 miles on my 2015 fsport and have not had a single freezing issue. I solely stream through Bluetooth as well with no problems. I do have the enform app suite connected but I never really use it.

Quick Reply: Infotainment system freezing on 2015 f sport