GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Has your Lexus dealer placed a RFID tag on your rearview mirror?
Yes
30.00%
No
40.00%
I do not know
30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Has your Lexus dealer placed a RFID tag on your rearview mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 09:10 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,564 Posts
Question Has your Lexus dealer placed a RFID tag on your rearview mirror?

Has your Lexus dealer placed a RFID tag on your rearview mirror?

RFID tag placed on rearview mirror by your dealer's service department
Old 12-03-14, 09:55 AM
tknx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea - but man, talk about a massive security violation waiting to happen. I am sure they didn't invest in top of the line encrypted communications.
Old 12-03-14, 10:15 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

My RFID tag is located on very top of the rearview mirror on the driver's side. The RFID tag's chip circuitry comes with a black covering so it matches the color of the mirror housing. You would never know the RFID tag was on the mirror unless someone told you about it...or you asked how your Lexus dealer's service advisor already knew your name when he/she greets you for service, and is able to access your car's service history so quickly.

My RFID tag looks similar to the image shown immediately below, but it may be a different brand. The tag (barcode) is recorded and matched/applied to your car's VIN by your Lexus dealership. Only the black tape-like tag (with the RFID chip underneath) is applied to the top or the back side of the rearview mirror.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-03-14 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 10:43 AM
kevings03
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody know what would the dealer's justification be for doing this?
Old 12-03-14, 11:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevings03
Anybody know what would the dealer's justification be for doing this?
Maybe you didn't read the link I provided: RFID tag placed on rearview mirror by your dealer's service department

All Park Place dealerships here in the DFW Metroplex (Bentley, Bugatti, Jaguar, Lexus, Lotus, Maserati, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo) uses RFID tags to better service their customers by providing service-related information on your car to the dealership.

It's all about service and customer satisfaction that helps save time for the customer and the dealership - they will know your name, when your car arrives on the dealer's property, your car's VIN, car color, factory options, what service your car currently requires, your car's service history, etc., etc., all available immediately to the service advisor. Or, if you have an appointment with someone else at the dealership (e.g. service manager, sales representative, finance manager, sales manager, etc.), that person can be alerted when you arrive on the property.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-03-14 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 02:10 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Interesting... I really want to know if my dealership has installed this on my mirror. The car is parked so far though... Smh.
Old 12-03-14, 02:11 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have that tag or something similar on my owner's manual pleather case when opening the flap.
Old 12-03-14, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I think this stuff is cool personally. If any of your have been to Disney World in the last couple years you'll know that every guest wears a "Magic Band" what is your room key, park ticket, charging privileges, fast passes, etc. It also knows when you are on a ride and automatically finds you and links your ride photos to your photo account. People get all up in arms, but I like technology and I like to see it used to make people's experiences better. They haven't rolled this out yet, but eventually they will be able to know guests' names so that the characters can say hello to your children, etc.

People get concerned about security, but what is the difference between sliding a card everywhere and scanning an armband everywhere? Companies already have LOTS of information on you anyways. I'm in the real estate business and we have a service that we can use that will pull up your address, all your census data, your estimated income, etc. Companies know.

As someone who used to consult with car dealerships and designed systems to convert sales business to service business and retain that business, I can tell you the benefits to a dealership using this technology is huge. For one...it makes SURE that they won't get anywhere near the service they get from you somewhere else. It stakes a claim on the customer, and psychologically once the customer has allowed you to put this tag on their mirror, they're investing in you and they are actually less likely to go elsewhere for service.

Customers are HUGELY impressed when they roll up and their service advisor walks out to greet them by name. No more "I'm looking for Bill"...."I think he's over there".

My dealer doesn't use RFID tags but they do scan the placard on the drivers door panel and pull everything up on an iPad.
Old 12-03-14, 02:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I have that tag or something similar on my owner's manual pleather case when opening the flap.
If the tag is located in your owner's manual case (in the glove box) then the information it can provide your dealership's service advisor would only be available once the service advisor has access to you manual, because the range of RFID chips is rather minimal and must be readily visible (like a toll tag) to the tag reader(s) the dealership has on their property. However, having the RFID tag on the rearview mirror allows the dealership/service advisor to know as soon as you get close enough to their RFID readers, be it near the service lane entrances or anywhere on their property...depending on the reader equipment they have installed.

In my case, my Lexus dealership is the largest in the United States, covering almost 30 acres of land. They use the RFID tags on all new vehicles, CPO vehicles, loaner vehicles, and their maintenance vehicles, etc. The dealership (service, sales, etc.) can tell where all their vehicle inventory and vehicle assets are located (as well as their customers' vehicles) anywhere on their property - e.g. inside the shop, car washes, pre-owned lots, new car lots, etc.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-03-14 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 05:04 PM
Haldol
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool technology, but I wonder if only lexus has the technology to decipher the chip. I am a bit concerned that a bad guy could learn personal info such as an address and name. Our license plates have personal information stored at the DMV office, so it is similar. As long as the databases are secure at dmv and lexus we should be fine. oh wait, I hope they are safer than target, LinkedIn, and Lowes.
Old 04-14-15, 12:10 AM
ComSciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chip itself does not contain any information besides the ID number. The system will associate that number with you and your vehicle information. It's no different then having your VIN visible through your windshield except that it's electronic.
Old 04-14-15, 03:14 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

The biggest issue I have with dealers doing it is if they don't ask if it's okay with the owner and explain what it's all about.
Old 04-14-15, 08:02 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I found mine on the door jam and I took it off.
Old 04-14-15, 08:03 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I don't like stickers on my car in general but if I must have one it better be installed straight and perfect, not some crooked crap.
Old 04-14-15, 09:01 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ComSciGuy
The chip itself does not contain any information besides the ID number. The system will associate that number with you and your vehicle information. It's no different then having your VIN visible through your windshield except that it's electronic.
It's the same if you've gotten a US passport in the last few years. Chip has a number, US customs looks up that number in their computer to see your personal information.

Quick Reply: Has your Lexus dealer placed a RFID tag on your rearview mirror?