GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

License plate holder plugs need painting; advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 11:19 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
Well, you could just ask for a new OEM hood and let them take the damaged one. I would definitely write a very very nasty letter to Lexus corporate about this.
A new hood would still have to be painted.
Old 12-08-14, 11:55 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear of all the dealership mayhem going down on your car. I am in a similar situation where not only did they drill holes in the bumper for the mount, when they screwed the frame and plate on they screwed them all the way through until they scratched the paint with a couple circular screw sized scratches, which is probably why you also have 4 plugs..

I contacted them and they said to bring it to them to "take care of it", but I am not sure I want to do a full bumper respray on my brand new machine, or what else they can do to fix it really. I am thinking it may be better just to go to the aftermarket for the paint matched bumper plugs here ready to go:

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...&product_id=85

Emailed bumpeprlugs.com for atomic silver which wasn't on their site, and they responded and had it up there within a day for me to purchase ready to go. Forget buying plugs, paint, primer, clearcoat, sand paper, brushes, TIME, etc, and doing all the work yourself.. these are just $27 bucks and definitely seem worth the time and materials involved imo.

Either this or sadly I am contemplating the front plate to cover it up, or maybe a vinly wrap in black to cover it and give the grill the one piece look. I would much prefer no plate, no wrap, and no damage, needless to say... Heck, maybe I will just ask them for a set of all weather mats and call it even and put the plate back on! definitely not going to run their dealership frame though!!

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-08-14, 11:58 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

All 4GS with front plates will have the screw marks in the middle, I think it's a design flaw for the front plate mounting kit.
Old 12-08-14, 12:02 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
All 4GS with front plates will have the screw marks in the middle, I think it's a design flaw for the front plate mounting kit.
Crappy as hell to hear.. all they need is shorter screws.. with all the engineering into these vehicles this seems like quite an oversight..

I take it you got the scratches too then? You sure its not the dealers grabbing screws out of a bin or something?
Old 12-08-14, 12:10 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Sorry to hear of all the dealership mayhem going down on your car. I am in a similar situation where not only did they drill holes in the bumper for the mount, when they screwed the frame and plate on they screwed them all the way through until they scratched the paint with a couple circular screw sized scratches, which is probably why you also have 4 plugs..

I contacted them and they said to bring it to them to "take care of it", but I am not sure I want to do a full bumper respray on my brand new machine, or what else they can do to fix it really. I am thinking it may be better just to go to the aftermarket for the paint matched bumper plugs here ready to go:

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...&product_id=85

Emailed bumpeprlugs.com for atomic silver which wasn't on their site, and they responded and had it up there within a day for me to purchase ready to go. Forget buying plugs, paint, primer, clearcoat, sand paper, brushes, TIME, etc, and doing all the work yourself.. these are just $27 bucks and definitely seem worth the time and materials involved imo.

Either this or sadly I am contemplating the front plate to cover it up, or maybe a vinly wrap in black to cover it and give the grill the one piece look. I would much prefer no plate, no wrap, and no damage, needless to say... Heck, maybe I will just ask them for a set of all weather mats and call it even and put the plate back on! definitely not going to run their dealership frame though!!

Best of luck to you.
I also ordered bumper plugs in nebula grey pearl. I installed them last night looks great!! and the color match is great!
Old 12-08-14, 12:12 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Crappy as hell to hear.. all they need is shorter screws.. with all the engineering into these vehicles this seems like quite an oversight..

I take it you got the scratches too then? You sure its not the dealers grabbing screws out of a bin or something?
I do have the shorter screws (half of the rear) on mine and they still touch if u run no frames. If u get even shorter screws it won't catch if u have a slightly thick frame. The mounting kit comes with the short screws, the rear has the normal longer screws.

I've had 2 4GS and both suffers from the same problem and I even saw a brand new FSport still in plastic but has the front plate installed but the installer used the longer screws that are for the rear instead, and that thing was forced pushed and u can see the mounting plate bent a little while the screws are pushing against the bumper hard. I didn't even wanna look at it, some dealer preps are really bad. One of my front splash guards was mounted backwards.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 12-08-14 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-08-14, 01:01 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

I do have the shorter screws (half of the rear) on mine and they still touch if u run no frames. If u get even shorter screws it won't catch if u have a slightly thick frame. The mounting kit comes with the short screws, the rear has the normal longer screws.

I've had 2 4GS and both suffers from the same problem and I even saw a brand new FSport still in plastic but has the front plate installed but the installer used the longer screws that are for the rear instead, and that thing was forced pushed and u can see the mounting plate bent a little while the screws are pushing against the bumper hard. I didn't even wanna look at it, some dealer preps are really bad. One of my front splash guards was mounted backwards.
Sad to hear the disfigurement of these beautiful machines is so common place.. and there is no easy solution here once the damage is done (other than frontal plate mounting, which sad to say I am contemplating). My dealer said they'd fix it, but I dont think I want my brand new bumper repainted, that would probably not match like factory and I 'd be more upset..
Old 12-08-14, 01:10 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
I also ordered bumper plugs in nebula grey pearl. I installed them last night looks great!! and the color match is great!
Close up pics PLEASE!!!
Old 12-08-14, 01:12 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Sad to hear the disfigurement of these beautiful machines is so common place.. and there is no easy solution here once the damage is done (other than frontal plate mounting, which sad to say I am contemplating). My dealer said they'd fix it, but I dont think I want my brand new bumper repainted, that would probably not match like factory and I 'd be more upset..
I just leave my front plate on and being in CA I don't wanna give cops a reason to pull me over, u know how it is, once they pull u over they'll get u for window tints and other crap to get the most bucks out of u.

Plus the GS still looks good with the front plate anyway, so it's a win win for me!
Old 12-08-14, 01:58 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

I just leave my front plate on and being in CA I don't wanna give cops a reason to pull me over, u know how it is, once they pull u over they'll get u for window tints and other crap to get the most bucks out of u.

Plus the GS still looks good with the front plate anyway, so it's a win win for me!
I hear that brother, good points all around! I must say your car looks darn sexy, plate and all!

Either thinking of the bumper plugs and ignoring the scratches, or maybe of going with the
official factory Lexus F Sport plate frame official factory Lexus F Sport plate frame
perhaps, to turn this disaster into something kinda cool and still factory...

License plate holder plugs need painting; advice.-zypnwig.jpg
Old 12-08-14, 02:06 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that link Atomic350F. I can live with the proper colour plugs.
I'll send the link off to my service manager so they can buy them.

I do have to admit that even though the dealership itself is dysfunctional the service manager is trying to do what he can.

I got a new wheel for less than cost. A new rear bearing for dealer price( dam they are expensive) A new set of the exact same wheels, but in silver for way below cost. New winter tires for cost. And all labour was free, plus free storage of my summer tires and wheels.
So it's cost the dealership some money as well!

Other than those ugly plugs she's looking pretty good with the car all wrapped up in Xpel Ultimate!
Old 12-08-14, 02:32 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I hear that brother, good points all around! I must say your car looks darn sexy, plate and all!

Either thinking of the bumper plugs and ignoring the scratches, or maybe of going with the official factory Lexus F Sport plate frame perhaps, to turn this disaster into something kinda cool and still factory...

Hey I have that frame on the back! I think it's a must have for FSport owners.

U can get the plugs and just touch up the dinged area and call it a day. U won't be able to notice it when ur like 3 feet away anyway.

I'll say one thing though, ur going to have more damages as this car ages from normal use, so I'd say just drive the hell out of it and enjoy it!

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 12-08-14 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-08-14, 02:40 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99alta
Thanks for that link Atomic350F. I can live with the proper colour plugs.
I'll send the link off to my service manager so they can buy them.

I do have to admit that even though the dealership itself is dysfunctional the service manager is trying to do what he can.

I got a new wheel for less than cost. A new rear bearing for dealer price( dam they are expensive) A new set of the exact same wheels, but in silver for way below cost. New winter tires for cost. And all labour was free, plus free storage of my summer tires and wheels.
So it's cost the dealership some money as well!

Other than those ugly plugs she's looking pretty good with the car all wrapped up in Xpel Ultimate!
You’re most welcome, glad I could help!

Also good to hear at least they are doing what they can to make things better.. I have found its hard to get perfect service nowadays, especially when dealing with ultra picky car guys like us! But the way a business handles their mistakes speaks volumes to me as well, glad they are working with you towards your ultimate happiness!

At the end of the day, you still got a badd a$$ ride!!
Old 12-08-14, 02:44 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Hey I have that frame on the back! I think it's a must have for FSport owners.

U can get the plugs and just touch up the dinged area and call it a day. U won't be able to notice it when ur like 3 feet away anyway.

I'll say one thing though, ur going to have more damages as this car ages from normal use, so I'd say just drive the hell out of it and enjoy it!
I think youre totally right brother! I am going to try and squeeze something else out of these dealership guys though, just to teach them to be more careful when installing these things!

I am thinking a set of all weather mats to protect the interior, where they failed to protect the bumper would probably make me happy.. oh yeah, and why not the darn Lexus F Sport plate frames, on them!! hahha!!
Old 12-08-14, 03:07 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

No, go for the all weather floor mats cause the frame is cheap, like $30-40 at the dealer, but mats are $100+.

Next time I make a deal on a new car I'm going to make them include the all weather mats too. Last time I only got a hat and keychains. lol But on my last trade-in I kept the mats and wheel locks hahah. They're already making money on my trade anyway, so those stuff aren't going back with the car!

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 12-08-14 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: License plate holder plugs need painting; advice.